Is the medallion mandatory?

3 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I just got off Carnival earlier this year and they printed your room number on the card.

So was I.  I have my January B2B from the Celebration in my hand right now. 1/21 & 1/28.  Ship name, your name, your dining, your VIFP#, your sailing date, your Folio # and your muster station #.

No cabin number anywhere 

23 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

So was I.  I have my January B2B from the Celebration in my hand right now. 1/21 & 1/28.  Ship name, your name, your dining, your VIFP#, your sailing date, your Folio # and your muster station #.

No cabin number anywhere 

Not on the Venezia.

26 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not on the Venezia.

Can't see why that ship would be any different, other than it being originally built for Costa, which shouldn't have any determination regarding different printings on cards.

Over the past few years have sailed on the Celebration 5 times and the Mardi Gras 4 times and none of them had the actual cabin number printed on the card.

Bottom line is that people are comfortable with what they have used in the past and since they have used it without problem feel that it is better than something new.

I was a speaker at a conference presenting on a new way of submitting adverse event forms to the FDA. I asked the audience of about 500 how many were concerned about security of the new system? Almost everyone raised their hands  I then asked how many thought the existing system was secure (the existing system was submission by fax)? Again almost everyone raised their hand. So I asked 1 more question. How many had ever received a fax intended for someone else? Most people started to raise their hands again, then realized that perception may not be reality.

4 hours ago, TheMichael said:

Why not just grab a couple of bags left in the hall on embarkation day or disembarkation eve? Way easier than finding a random medallion and wandering the halls aimlessly, hoping it doesn't get replaced/deactivated before finding the room.

There seems to be a very outsized concern about thieves onboard a ship that cost between several hundreds and several thousands of dollars just to board, in an industry where there's almost zero reported theft despite belongings being left out in the open.

I have this picture in my mind of a gang of thieves booking cruises and spending all their time on the ship looking for lost medallions so they can rob cabins of some clothes and maybe a computer or two. 🤣

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, SCX22 said:

Not quite sure why you'd not be in a state to answer an audible ring or vibration from your phone on a ship.  Too many drinks?

Lots of reasons- in a fitness class or running, getting a massage, swimming, sitting at a blackjack table, taking a nap. We use the app all the time to find each other or see if the other has finished what they were doing and moved on. It’s one of my favorite features.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, karatemom2 said:

Personally I love the medallion. Cards were a pain - I rarely am wearing something with pockets so DH ended up carrying it around for me most of the time. Medallion is always with me on my wrist bracelet - don’t have to worry about it. It’s convenient and easy. And we often travel as extended family with our adult kids - we love being able to easily find each other - no more the days of the dry erase board we used to use for messages in the cabin. I pretty much realize that in our modern age we are being filmed, monitored, and tracked as humans and consumers daily so it is what it is. If it makes my vacation easier and more convenient then I’m happy. 

I agree, the wristbands are really convenient, I especially like knowing the medallion can be with me swimming or exercising. Losing my key card because I had to leave it somewhere always is a concern, especially on shore. I miss the medallion when we cruise other lines.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BamaVol said:

How interesting!  Do they look like a passenger medallion?  What color(s) are they?  What’s printed on them?  I will be onboard Enchanted in 6 days.  I will be looking closely.

They are blue as I recall. 

7 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

he only way you should possibly lose your card is if you were impaired because you had too much to drink

Or you had to leave it somewhere while you swam or worked out, or it just fell out of your pocket. The wearable aspect of the medallion is a real convenience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRLD said:

If they use it on the door it would be unwrapped. If so they have a time and a location to use the hallway video cameras to see who used it.

Hallway cameras? 

They must be well hidden. 

5 hours ago, 555 said:

Hallway cameras? 

They must be well hidden. 

they are there. Almost every public portion of the ship, including  hallways, elevators, lounges, etc are covered by cameras

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

they are there. Almost every public portion of the ship, including  hallways, elevators, lounges, etc are covered by cameras

Elevator waiting area, lounges and public areas, yes but hallways I doubt it as there are just to many areas to cover.  

54 minutes ago, 555 said:

Elevator waiting area, lounges and public areas, yes but hallways I doubt it as there are just to many areas to cover.  

Big Brother is watching.  You can deny it, but there are cameras practically everywhere on the ship besides bathrooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Just do a search on cameras on cruise ships. For example the new Royal ships have over 300 full 360 degree panorama cameras on board in addition to the single direction cameras

They are now talking about adding AI processing to find scenes of interest and to be able to track something as they moved around a ship if they need to reconstruct a crime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Yes hallways are covered I can attest to that when security was trying to accuse me of a fight

15 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes hallways are covered I can attest to that when security was trying to accuse me of a fight

Did you see the actual video or just take their word for it?

Was it near the elevator waiting area or just near you cabin door? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I don't know how people can miss the corridor cameras. Look up. They are not hidden.

Must be people are looking at tacky door décor, or searching for plastic ducks. 

Yeah, I went there. 

I honestly haven't noticed them before but I'll be more aware next cruise. 

Must have been those ducks. 

Edited by 555

On 6/9/2024 at 7:52 PM, Retired-N-Happy said:

On the NCL cruise I had gotten into a heated argument with a woman who was sitting at a HC table in the buffet and she had no wheelchair, scooter, walker or cane with her.  So, she was obviously mentally handicapped, by sitting where she shouldn't be. 

Not all handicaps are visible.  Was it worth the argument?  More flies with honey...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Not all handicaps are visible.  Was it worth the argument?  More flies with honey...

BS.  It was and will always be worth the argument.  I did it on NCL as well as RCI.  It hasn't happened on Carnival since they don't have a HC section or HC marked chairs in their buffet.  If they did though, obviously some would take advantage of it.

I currently have two cruises booked on NCL and one on RCI over the next 15 months.  Another argument could ensue if I witness this nonsense again.

• Haha 1