Bar Harbor must do’s?

Bar Harbor is back on our itinerary. What I see on most excursions are Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. Are they “you don’t want to miss that”? This is for mid-September. I don’t like tenders so if I go ashore I want it to be worthwhile lol! TIA 

2 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Bar Harbor is back on our itinerary. What I see on most excursions are Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. Are they “you don’t want to miss that”? This is for mid-September. I don’t like tenders so if I go ashore I want it to be worthwhile lol! TIA 

Hi Bar Harbour was one of our ports of call. Once you are onshore its a really lovely place to just walk around if that's what you like to do. We did do Acadia Narional Park and cadilac Mountain which we thoroughly enjoyed. It does take a while to get to the Park but the scenery  was lovely and colour changes where good. We stopped at 3 places if I remember right. 1st being Thunder Hole which if swell is in right direction  make sea water spray through hole in rocks. Then Cadillac Mountain itself again fantastic views all around. Then we stopped a a Nature reserve so we could walk around and see what there was to see. Which the day we were there was beavers building a dam. We were a  way away from them but certainly great viewing.

So for us it was well worth it. We had time afterwards to sit in the park in Bar Harbour and watch the world go by.

Whatever you decide have a lively trip.

Linda

• Thanks 1

From the tendering area, walk up Main St. to the Village Green.  Check in at the visitors booth on the Village Green (get bus map and pay entrance fee for Acadia National Park or show Senior National Park Pass here).  Take the free Island Explorer Bus #4 Loop Road to Otter Cliff.  Hike the Ocean Path (easy, 4.4 miles) back to Sand Beach.    Ocean Path is mostly flat and parallels the loop road, offering scenic views and numerous access points to outcroppings above the rocky shore, including major attractions like Thunder Hole and Otter Cliff.  Then take Bus # 4 to Jordan Pond.  Have lunch here by the lake.  Very good chowder and popovers.

https://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html shows timetables for the free Island Explorer Bus.

Return to town on bus #4 or 5 and look at the shops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you go on the National Park website you can get your tickets for Acadia online ($20/person), then you don't have to wait when you get off the tender.  You can take the bus (fare-free with your park pass) to all sorts of trailheads, carriage roads, small local towns, etc if you are there between June 23-Oct 14.  Here's more info on the NP website:  https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/island-explorer.htm 

• Like 1

We did a schooner sail around Frenchman's Bay, saw Acadia park from the sea, and Cadillac Mountain, islands of the bay, seals, porpoises, bald eagles.

• Like 1

If you are going to do the Island Explorer, just verify it's still running as it's seasonal. I don't recall when they stop. 

While Bar Harbor is a lovely town, the main attraction is Acadia. I personally love Acadia, but if it's not your thing, you might want to stay aboard the ship.

• Thanks 1

Just walk up the hill in Bar Harbor and get a piece of the amazing blueberry pie at the coffe place next to the book store...it is the best. then do the Acadia National Park tour on Oley's trolley..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd also recommend Ollie's Trolley. Book it yourself, not through the cruise line. They board right where the tenders let you off. I've done them 3 times, though 2 were on land visits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...