New Cagney’s Menu…

I don't follow this risotto discussion. Cagney's has risotto with all meals so:

(1) It could have been offered to the vegetarian (assuming a non-meat broth)

(2) The vegetarian could have requested it as a meal

(3) It doesn't need to be made on the fly or from minute rice lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What the heck is this risotto?  (somebody had to ask)

Risotto is an Italian rice dish cooked with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. The broth can be derived from meat, fish, or vegetables. Many types of risotto contain butter, onion, white wine, and Parmesan cheese. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What the heck is this risotto?  (somebody had to ask)

I had to google it. When my wife got it this week the rice looked tiny. I was focusing on the upcoming chocolate cake, so I never asked her what was in it.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I'm no risotto expert, but I did cook it once (never again). Done correctly, it takes one person, with constant stirring and attention, over 30-min to make. It can't sit around once it's done or it will turn into a near-solid mass that will stick to the wall and never move.

So, it can't be made "on the fly", and it can't sit around too long. Cagney's obviously serves it enough to make it work (although many of us can attest to au gratin potatoes that were well past their prime), but since it's not tagged as vegetarian, it's likely made from beef stock. You can't just quickly "throw together" a risotto made from veg stock as a substitute (without using the aforementioned Minute Rice).

I've never ordered it at Cagney's, so I have no idea if it can even be considered a true risotto.

Edited by Wayward Son

5 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

Just realized NCL labels items as vegetarian, gluten, spicy, on MDR but not on specialty menus. NCL should footnote all menus to assist patrons. 

Yup! It would make it easier for a waiter and less awkward for my companions if I could just read the menu myself and place my order with any subtle changes needed. I could also decide in advance if I can easily order from the menu (a wedge salad without bacon and a baked potato) or if I do need to ask in advance for some special mystery dish (which I hate to rely on - I'm not picky, but I do like to have choices).

Just got off of the Joy.   The menu at Q was changed too.  No more loaded fries.

For the first time, they were going to charge us for a cappuccino in Cagney's.  I politely told the waiter that we have never been charged for a cappuccino in a specialty restaurant before.  He went to his boss and then they were comped.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Just got off of the Joy.   The menu at Q was changed too.  No more loaded fries.

For the first time, they were going to charge us for a cappuccino in Cagney's.  I politely told the waiter that we have never been charged for a cappuccino in a specialty restaurant before.  He went to his boss and then they were comped.

Those loaded fries at Q made a nice little meal while you enjoyed the band. 

We will miss them😕

On 6/10/2024 at 3:34 AM, BenDover said:

No more Foie gras at Le Bistro 😲

Well, that's good news at least! 

The Marron au clementine I'll miss though if it's removed (as someone said earlier)

On 6/8/2024 at 7:21 PM, Candy Apple 12 said:

Disney is the model of what NCL should strive for.  

I could not possibly disagree more, for several reasons. But since this is strictly about food/dining, I’d much rather have NCL emulate Virgin’s dining than Disney’s.

Or better yet, just go back to what NCL was ten years ago and just charge me more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I could not possibly disagree more, for several reasons. But since this is strictly about food/dining, I’d much rather have NCL emulate Virgin’s dining than Disney’s.

Or better yet, just go back to what NCL was ten years ago and just charge me more.

Disney’s food is really good, both on the cruise line and in the park’s specialty restaurants. But, I agree with you on NCLs old menus and offerings. Would I pay more? I guess, but it depends on how much we’re talking about. 😂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lisabdh1 said:

They just informed me there will be no more complimentary snacks and beverages at any Meet and Greets either.

That just makes me sad. The snacks, grab bags, etc. added to the festive atmosphere! I guess we can bring our own individual drinks, and see whether attendees can (or want to) bring snacks?

Edited by roddy good boy

5 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

That just makes me sad. The snacks, grab bags, etc. added to the festive atmosphere! I guess we can bring our own individual drinks, and see whether attendees can (or want to) bring snacks?

I'm more upset about this than I thought I would be. I think its a huge disservice to the whole idea of a Meet and Greet that NCL has normally been very positive about. I've always been loyal to NCL because of all the perks and little extras. Granted its only a 30 minute meet and greet but still, I will be sharing my thoughts with the F&B officer. 

• Like 8

On 6/7/2024 at 12:23 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

Not on the Gulf Coast.

Yea I never heard of that. I eat fresh fish in Florida all the time. I get it fresh from Alaska and Hawaii. 

I think they should of just replaced the trout with salmon people get confused with steel head trout is basically the same.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

If NCL and DCL dining were comparable ten years ago, then I agree that NCL should go back to what it was 10 years ago. My first NCL cruise was June 2018, so I don’t know what NCL was like in 2014. I also don’t know if DCL quality has declined since my last cruise on DCL in 2015, hence my caveat of “if DCL quality is the same as it was on the many cruises I took with them, Disney is the model of what NCL should strive for.”

Regardless, it would be nice if NCL worked on their food offerings.

I’ve never cruised with Virgin, so I can’t comment on that.  

11 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

If NCL and DCL dining were comparable ten years ago, then I agree that NCL should go back to what it was 10 years ago. My first NCL cruise was June 2018, so I don’t know what NCL was like in 2014. I also don’t know if DCL quality has declined since my last cruise on DCL in 2015, hence my caveat of “if DCL quality is the same as it was on the many cruises I took with them, Disney is the model of what NCL should strive for.”

Regardless, it would be nice if NCL worked on their food offerings.

I’ve never cruised with Virgin, so I can’t comment on that.  

Overall, I was disappointed with Cagney's. It was the only specialty restaurant that we went to. We are the furthest one can be from "foodies", so it doesn't take much to please us. The only item that was noteworthy was the desserts. 

As newly retired, we decided to return to cruising and have several Princess trips queued up. Since this was our first NCL and that will be our first Princess we will compare afterwards.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

Yea I never heard of that. I eat fresh fish in Florida all the time. I get it fresh from Alaska and Hawaii. 

I think they should havejust replaced the trout with salmon people get confused with steel head trout is basically the same.

The difference is generally between “frozen” and “shipped in a box on ice but not technically frozen.”

It’s splitting hairs. Unless you’ve caught it that day, it isn’t really “fresh” either way.

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slidemaster5 said:

Since this was our first NCL and that will be our first Princess we will compare afterwards.

That's fine, as long as you also compare fares, what's included, what's not, what's an extra charge, etc. I would certainly expect better food if you're paying an extra $500-1000 per person or more for a similar cruise.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

That's fine, as long as you also compare fares, what's included, what's not, what's an extra charge, etc. I would certainly expect better food if you're paying an extra $500-1000 per person or more for a similar cruise.

Ha!. I am a CPA by trade so tracking minutiae is my business. We will be paying less on Princess since their suites are less than Haven pricing. We were happy with our trip overall. I was just disappointed with the food consistency and want to compare that to Princess.  

On 6/7/2024 at 9:00 AM, zqvol said:

Seafood is never “fresh”. Federal,law requires it to be frozen to a certain temp, and held at that temp for a period of time before being sold to eliminate “bugs”. 

Isn't that just for fish intended to be eaten raw like sushi?