Opinion on Pre-Paying Ship Staff Gratuities Prior to Cruise Embarkment

10 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Why is this a problem?  Imagine that you and your best friend decide to apply for jobs with Princess and after going through the rigorous hiring process you both get jobs in food service. Your friend is assigned to a Port Everglades ship sailing in the Caribbean and you are assigned to a Sydney based ship sailing around Australia. You do the same work with the same responsibilities and hours. Now assume that the crew gets paid only the gratuity amount that is collected for that ship for its own cruises. Explain how this is fair and why your friend should earn thousands of dollars more than you. Go!

You are 100% spot on.  Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Lol. I guess you did not read what I wrote. I never mentioned the word problem. Only you did. 😂

What an odd response. You said that the philosophy is “wrong” because funds are distributed worldwide. Sounds like you find that to be a “problem”. One does not have to use a magic word to convey meaning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:05 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I wait until onboard so I can reduce my gratuity to $10 PP PD which is what actually gets trickled down to crew. Why pay full rate for a third person? You still only have one bathroom, one cabin and one balcony to clean. There is the extra bed to make and dining room so I would pay $5 Per day for a third person. Most on these boards will flame me for my opinion but I'm entitled to do it my way as long as these over priced "crew appreciation" are only SUGGESTIONS. 

If I interpret the OP's question correctly they plan to prepay their what you call "suggested" gratuity in advance.  I see no problem w that.  I do see a problem w people who board a ship with the prior intent to stiff the crew members because they can.  

DON

• Like 5