Virgin Gorda canceled

JPtheATC

Does anyone know why Virgin Gorda was canceled on the West Indies cruise for 11/19/24-11/30/24?  Viking replaced it with a stop in St. Croix.  Any thoughts?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JPtheATC said:

Does anyone know why Virgin Gorda was canceled on the West Indies cruise for 11/19/24-11/30/24?  Viking replaced it with a stop in St. Croix.  Any 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Viking isn't going to tell us and they are the only reliable source of information in this case. We can guess at why but that only creates rumor and misinformation. 

23 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking isn't going to tell us and they are the only reliable source of information in this case. We can guess at why but that only creates rumor and misinformation. 

I know you are correct...thought maybe I missed something:)

I believe Virgin Gorda and the Baths are now having to limit daily arrival totals.  Might just be Viking got caught with no chair when the music stopped.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 5:20 PM, JPtheATC said:

Does anyone know why Virgin Gorda was canceled on the West Indies cruise for 11/19/24-11/30/24?  Viking replaced it with a stop in St. Croix.  Any thoughts?

Hello @JPtheATC

We are on this cruise on Viking Sea.  First, a couple corrections to your statement:

1.  The cruise is Nov 19 to Nov 29  (not Nov 30)

2.  The port being replaced is Roadtown, Tortola not Virgin Gorda.  Virgin Gorda is a separate island in the BVI and is reachable from Tortola via Ferry.  We visited the Baths there on a previous Viking Cruise excursion.  

That being said, as others have related, we'll never truly know why.  Cruising these days involves going with the flow, accepting changes that can occur from weather, wars, holidays, policy changes, and more, as nothing in an itinerary is truly guaranteed.  Hopefully it will work out.  For us, of course, and possibly others who've been to BVI and not St Croix, this is a nice change.  For others, it probably isn't.  In any case, it is what it is.  Would be interesting to see if this change is reflected on the other West Indies Explorer itineraries.

Looking forward to meeting you on the cruise.  If any others reading this are on this cruise, please check out our Roll Call.

Kent and Pam

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

@CCWineLover So we're doing this cruise in 2025 and I just looked, our itinerary still shows Tortola. But yours, on the website, does show St. Croix now. I'll keep this in mind in case we get a notification of this change in the future though. It's good to know it's a possibility.

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hello @JPtheATC

We are on this cruise on Viking Sea.  First, a couple corrections to your statement:

1.  The cruise is Nov 19 to Nov 29  (not Nov 30)

2.  The port being replaced is Roadtown, Tortola not Virgin Gorda.  Virgin Gorda is a separate island in the BVI and is reachable from Tortola via Ferry.  We visited the Baths there on a previous Viking Cruise excursion.  

That being said, as others have related, we'll never truly know why.  Cruising these days involves going with the flow, accepting changes that can occur from weather, wars, holidays, policy changes, and more, as nothing in an itinerary is truly guaranteed.  Hopefully it will work out.  For us, of course, and possibly others who've been to BVI and not St Croix, this is a nice change.  For others, it probably isn't.  In any case, it is what it is.  Would be interesting to see if this change is reflected on the other West Indies Explorer itineraries.

Looking forward to meeting you on the cruise.  If any others reading this are on this cruise, please check out our Roll Call.

Kent and Pam

OMG...I totally blundered everything!!!  I had my excursion (the baths) stuck in my head as our cruise destination-LOL.  Thank you for the clarifications.  Can't wait until November!!