Cruisecritic news feature - flooding on Rhine and Danube - with river cruise line reactions

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

They are both the exact same article.

I know, but some people may find it easier to use one (or the other) URL.  @notamermaid always posts ...co.uk for Cruise Critic articles, so I assume her router takes her there.  In the US, my router takes me to ...com.

• Like 1

Interesting to read the different communication approaches by the companies, facing basically the same dynamic situation. I am sure that the organisers and dispatchers in the offices and incoming agencies are earning their money the hard way right now. Rerouting arriving passengers, organising additional busses and rerouting the already booked ones, rerouting debarking passengers, maybe booking hotel facilities and meals. Changing bookings of tour guides and timeslots in the places to visit might be a minor priority in areas, where not only the river is blocked, but also roads and rail lines might be affected and additional busses might be scarce.
And on top communicate the changes to the customers. It is one thing to communicate, that there will be changes/disruptions (Viking coined the phrase "deviation programme" for that), but another thing what exactly. What to tell a traveller, who is just waiting for their taxi to get them to a Midwest airport, where the ship will be 24 hours later, when you dont know it yourself ?

A ******* of a lot of routing staff will be earning their wages now. 
My sister (nearly 70 now)on a school trip to Venice arrived during one of their worst floods, the group abandoned their holiday and got stuck in rescuing artifacts from churches etc. The expression ‘all hands to the pumps’ comes to mind. It will get better and I hope all will be well both on river and land.

• Like 1

I have to sympathize with the cruise lines regarding announcements. We did the Grand European Tour with Viking during the 2018 drought (one of several "100 year droughts" Europe has had this century). While I was fully aware of the situation (thank you CC and Notamermaid), many arrived in Amsterdam with no idea. Viking had sent out a lukewarm notice, but apparently many people didn't read it, nor did they read the papers. The responses varied from acceptance to intense anger. Some proposed lawsuits against Viking, no doubt listing Mother Nature as a co-conspirator. Of course, droughts can be cured with a few days of heavy downpour. Floods take a little more time. 

As has been noted frequently, go/no go decisions often occur within hours of scheduled departures by ships' captains. How a cruise line can word an announcement that informs the traveler without resulting in a potentially unnecessary cancellation is a challenge.

• Like 1

Okay, I missed this at first, I have just noticed something about the photo in the article. I have taken the liberty of cropping it. Can you spot what I mean when I say there is something unusual about these two ships?

image.png.8c2758bbd3abd5e5936e23cdb47f5be0.png

notamermaid

Is it - breasted up but apparently not moored to anything but it actually looks as if they are moving! Is it ‘safety in numbers’? Or the power of two is better than the power of one. Interesting!

11 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Or the power of two is better than the power of one.

Power is the crucial word here. That is close.

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

No sign of a wheelhouse.

Correct. The white ship has no wheelhouse, hence no steering - and no power. :classic_smile:

Well spotted.

Explanation to follow.

notamermaid

I had posted the article and looked at the photo, my brain just registering two ships, a barge and a river cruise ship docked near a bridge. Then on the second look it did not look "standard". A river cruise ship and barge together does not happen that often - it is an unusual flooding situation - but on top of that something looked odd. Then I noticed that it is not a river cruise ship but a hull. As you spotted @Canal archive, there is no wheelhouse. Having posted about it before it was then clear: it must be the MS Insomnia with the hull NB212 coming from Serbia. The barge and precious cargo got stranded at a bridge on the Danube. Details are in the Danube thread. I checked - the bridge is the infamous railway bridge at Bogen. And as of now the duo is still tied up together at the bridge it seems:

image.png.fce930ad177fa2197a66e3d4d91ffcf8.png

A river cruise ship delayed by flooding before it is even a river cruise ship!

notamermaid

• Haha 2