Shark Flexstyle Hair dryer on Uniworld

mwb1963

Anyone have any thoughts about being able to use a shark hair dryer with a converter on Uniworld.  (this is the brand that wife's swears by).  Have seen other postings on internet that Shark will not work in Europe with or without converter.  Any insight here?   Some suggested that if you wanted to take a hair dryer best option would be to look at a dual voltage one.

Appreciate your thoughts.  Looking forward to the Danube at the end of August.

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

For one the Shark works all over Europe BUT as it has a heating element you will be requested to use the supplied hair dryer, as far as I know.

@mwb1963's wife's Shark would be North American voltage, not European. (They also sell Shark in the UK; those would be European voltage.) IF, and that is a big if, it were to work it would need a converter that is big enough to handle the high wattage of the hair dryer. I have heard of hair dryers that got fried trying to use them in Europe.

More to the point, Uniworld, like any other ship, is very afraid of fire, and heat-generating appliances (like hair dryers) are usually not allowed on board. They supply hair dryers that meet their safety standards.

• Like 1

Not heat related, but I am glad the question was asked.   However, does Uniworld supply face cloths in the staterooms?  I keep reading Italy doesn't use face cloths.  While I have your attention, question for past cruisers, does Uniworld give out shopping bags, when we go to towns to purchase trinkets, souvenirs, etc?  Thanks. 

Just back from Italy and never saw a facecloth in any hotel.  We always pack a pair because although our ships have always had them, European hotels rarely do.  Towel sizes were also unusual to US standards:  bidet towels (a little smaller than our hand towels, really too large to use as face cloths), hand towels (almost big enough to use as bath towels), and bath sheets.  We often ended up trading down a size and driving the maids crazy!

Also:  Italy traditionally uses an unusual electrical connector (Type L) with three narrow prongs in a line [also used in Chile, and Syria and Uruguay – why???]  We did see a few newer wall mounts with a combination set-up that could also take the universal European Type C (2 narrow prongs set closer together than the outer ones for Type L).  I bought a set of three Type L adapters made by Ceptics on Amazon and they worked great everywhere in Italy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, youngnet2 said:

Not heat related, but I am glad the question was asked.   However, does Uniworld supply face cloths in the staterooms?  I keep reading Italy doesn't use face cloths.  While I have your attention, question for past cruisers, does Uniworld give out shopping bags, when we go to towns to purchase trinkets, souvenirs, etc?  Thanks. 

It isn’t just Italy that doesn’t use facecloths. They are rarely found in any European hotels, except maybe the fanciest ones that cater to North Americans. Europeans do not use facecloths. 

Wrong yes we do (and we’re supposed to be European)but I must admit to taking them when I first realised they weren’t used in France. I think between us were slowly teaching them. 

Imagine a coach load of English schoolgirls basically first time across the channel in a Basel hotel, top floor - dormitory - to be greeted by, duvets, never seen them before, bidets - come on what are they for and well stand and squat toilets! You can imagine our introduction to Europe was not what we expected. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It isn’t just Italy that doesn’t use facecloths. They are rarely found in any European hotels, except maybe the fanciest ones that cater to North Americans. Europeans do not use facecloths. 

What do they wash their faces with?

On our recent trip to London and Frankfurt both hotels provided face cloths. 

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Europeans do not use facecloths. 

I'm European and I use a face cloth. The shops here sell face cloths.

1 hour ago, pontac said:

I'm European and I use a face cloth. The shops here sell face cloths.

Sorry, I generalized. Face cloths are not common on the Continent, but do exist. (I don't know about the UK; I leave that up to you.)

Go by the Joan Collins advice ladies never ever use water on your face, okay she most probably can afford the most luxurious facial products but reputedly has the most fantastic skin and always even in her younger days always removed make up with cream. She has beautiful skin at the age of 91. 

• Like 2