First night specialty restaurants (gluten free)

If I book Crown Grill for night 1, will my celiac mom be able to find something on the menu to eat? I'm assuming yes since the medallion app has all her allergy/diet info in it already and they'll know we're coming, but I want to make sure. I know the main dining room has a few dishes that are GF for night one.

4 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

If I book Crown Grill for night 1, will my celiac mom be able to find something on the menu to eat? I'm assuming yes since the medallion app has all her allergy/diet info in it already and they'll know we're coming, but I want to make sure. I know the main dining room has a few dishes that are GF for night one.

Don't count on the information in the app. Go to the Crown Grill and talk with the Head Waiter as soon as you are onboard. Discuss the allergy with him, and he will tell you what is available. If it weren't the first night, I would say to talk with him the evening before to give them time to prepare. If they aren't able to adequately handle her diet without more notice, you may want to ask him to change your reservation to the next night to give them time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I have a dairy allergy, and I usually stop in right when I board the ship to let them know that I have a reservation that night and that I have allergies. I really don’t know if anyone even reads what we put in the app. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Don't count on the information in the app. Go to the Crown Grill and talk with the Head Waiter as soon as you are onboard. Discuss the allergy with him, and he will tell you what is available. If it weren't the first night, I would say to talk with him the evening before to give them time to prepare. If they aren't able to adequately handle her diet without more notice, you may want to ask him to change your reservation to the next night to give them time.

This!  I have a shellfish allergy and noted it in my planner on the app. One night in the MDR our head waiter brought me a shrimp cocktail for no reason (he was just trying to be nice), so they obviously don't reference the app.  I realized I should have mentioned it each and every time we dined in a new venue (we did 2 specialty dinners) just to be safe.

31 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

This!  I have a shellfish allergy and noted it in my planner on the app. One night in the MDR our head waiter brought me a shrimp cocktail for no reason (he was just trying to be nice), so they obviously don't reference the app.  I realized I should have mentioned it each and every time we dined in a new venue (we did 2 specialty dinners) just to be safe.

Not only do you need to mention it to the head waiter (not just to a waiter) in each restaurant, you need to order your MDR meals from a head waiter the evening before. Also, you need to talk with the head waiter at each specialty restaurant the evening before your reservation if possible. Obviously @threebluestarscould not go the night before for a first-night reservation. Sometimes, when the MDR head waiter comes by to take your order for the first night and you tell him you will be eating in a specialty restaurant, he will offer to talk with the specialty restaurant head waiter for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Yes, as soon as you board, go to Crown Grill & visit with them.

They menu looks GF overall (I am sensitive so I am hyperaware as well) BUT sometimes there might be flour or something you aren't aware of, particularly in sauces.

But salads & proteins are nearly always a safe bet. All their sides look pretty GF (creamed spinach probably not) & the desserts are labeled. (apple rhubarb cobbler & key lime bar are GF; I'm sure they could get ice cream as well).

Princess is WONDERFUL w/ GF. There may be a few items they cannot make GF on the fly, but there will be several choices for DM.

Have fun!

I have always found that they do read the app.  I have a couple of allergies and every night the head waiter would bring the next nights menu to me to select what to have the next day so that they make sure it is prepared properly.  Princess has always been wonderful with me!

We stick with one MDR and I meet with the dining room manager the first night.  After that, I just mention to the waiter when I sit down that the headwaiter has already taken my order. He/she will also arrange MDR lunches and SD if that’s what I choose.

21 hours ago, Hobbes67 said:

I have always found that they do read the app.  I have a couple of allergies and every night the head waiter would bring the next nights menu to me to select what to have the next day so that they make sure it is prepared properly.  Princess has always been wonderful with me!

You make a GOOD point--I ordered a room service sandwich on gluten free bread early in our cruise.

After that, they ALWAYS were very careful to ask about allergies at dining venues. Even got an "Are you sure..." I realized it was due to that room service order. I assured them that I have a sensitivity & avoid large amounts of gluten.

My daughter has celiacs disease.  Princess has always handled her absolute GF requirements very well even to having a GF toaster in the back at the buffet.

DON