SAN FRANCISCO OR OAKLAND HOTEL

Posted (edited)

Hello Everyone - looking for recommendations for a clean, safe, reasonably priced hotel for one night before our cruise out of SF.  Can be anywhere between the airport and the cruise port.  Flight may be better out of Oakland so considering both.  Thanks!!!

Edited by vadersprincess12

Oakland is not near the port, and has little points of interest. There could be some safety concerns, depending on where you chose to stay.

There are MANY threads here with hotel recommendations in SF.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vadersprincess12 said:

So, why not Oakland?

Not a safe place to stay.

You could still fly into OAK airport and take the BART train into San Francisco Embarcadero BART station, and Uber to a hotel near the port - $10 Uber ride.

Personally, I would fly into SFO airport.  You can either Uber from there or take the BART train into San Francisco Embarcadero BART station, and Uber to a hotel near the port - $10 Uber ride.  BART is right inside the SFO airport, so easy to board the train there.

• Like 1

Unless the flights are "MUCH" cheaper to OAK then do SFO.  If you must do OAK then stay near the airport or better Uber over to SF after you land.  Depending on the hours I would avoid BART and use Uber no matter where you go.  Our go to hotel near SFO is the Embassy Suites south of the airport.  They have an airport shuttle and the bar has very good view, service, and food.  If you go into SF after landing at OAK we like the Hilton Union Square.  The rooftop bar has the best view of SF skyline.   

• Like 1

Another local that would not recommend Oakland.  

Would really recommend using any travel booking company like Expedia, Hotels.com etc.

Put in your dates and on the deliminator put in your maximum price.    While I agree that prices in SF can be over the top of some of the top hotels -  There are many nice, clean hotels and safe locations for the budget conscious.  Prices can vary extensively when there is an event or trade show during your stay.

I would concentrate you search on North of Market Street and East of Union Square.  

I've reserved places for budget conscious friends in San Francisco under $150 a night that were nice and clean and didn't break the bank.

One that comes to mind is

SureStay by Best Western San Francisco Marina District  (nice area about a 20 minute walk to Fisherman warf)   Lots of places to see and dine.

2.5 star property

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 4:59 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

Thanks for the information everyone.  I ended up booking through Hilton in the Financial District. 

We have stayed there a couple of times and it's a good choice if you can't get the Hilton Union Square.  The restaurant/bar has good food.  I wouldn't venture out walking after dark.  If you get in early enough dinner at The Stinking Rose is always good.     

Thanks for the information everyone.  I ended up booking through Hilton in the Financial District. 

Good choice if the Hilton Union Square doesn't work.  We have stayed at the HFD a few times and the bar/restaurant has good food if not a view.  If it works out go to the Stinking Rose for dinner.  I wouldn't walk the area after dark.  

The Hilton Financial District used to be a Holiday Inn and I've never been fond of the location on the edge of Chinatown. Its only redeeming value was when Alfred's moved next door.

I also had two very bad, back to back stays at the Hilton US, so I never stayed there again. They didn't deserve a third shot with so many hotels in SF.

We had no issues with the Hilton.  Our room was spotless and very comfortable.   We did some walking and had early dinner at MO’s - cool place.   We never walk when it’s dark in a place we are unfamiliar with so that wasn’t a problem.  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

The Hilton Financial District used to be a Holiday Inn and I've never been fond of the location on the edge of Chinatown. 

I also had two very bad, back to back stays at the Hilton US, so I never stayed there again. They didn't deserve a third shot with so many hotels in SF.

I agree on the HFD location it's not my fav.  I don't think it's been a HI in many many years and I found the rooms and public areas very nice, no signs of being an HI.  Hilton US is always our go to if we want to stay in downtown and the St Francis is not affordable.  We have been upgraded to suites twice there and the top floor bar can't be beat for views of the city.  Hotel food at FD is better than US.  But there's so many great places nearby to eat hotel food is my last choice.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Downtown SF and OAK are great in the daytime not so great after dark. And this is speaking as a person born and raised in the area. Moved out of state 5 years ago and when I come back to visit I don’t wander around much on foot late night