Coffee in Italy

I found what I like is called a caffé macchiato. Should I be able to order that anywhere in Rome, the Amalfi Coast, Naples and Venice?  Also, will most hotels have coffee available for guests I could just add my chocolate collegian powder to?  (Albergo del Senato in Rome, Hotel Residence Amalfi, Royal Continental in Naples, and the Hotel Rialto in Venice)

IMG_3228.png

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I found what I like is called a caffé macchiato. Should I be able to order that anywhere in Rome, the Amalfi Coast, Naples and Venice?  Also, will most hotels have coffee available for guests I could just add my chocolate collegian powder to?  (Albergo del Senato in Rome, Hotel Residence Amalfi, Royal Continental in Naples, and the Hotel Rialto in Venice)

IMG_3228.png

Any place in Italy will make a macchiato.  You can request chocolate powder on top of your macchiato or capuccino. Any coffee bar in Italy would be offended if you brought your own chocolate shaker. 

Italy is coffee heaven.

They generally serve Lavazza, Illy or Segafreddo coffee throughout Italy.  It will be nothing like you get at Starbucks (thank heavens!). Tazza d'Oro, one of the best coffee bars in Rome, is around the corner from the Albergo del Senato.  😉 

And never, ever order any type of coffee to drink with your lunch or dinner!!!!!  Espresso or macchiato after lunch or dinner is almost required.  Order capuccino, caffelatte, or any other type to have with breakfast or mid-morning snack.  Espresso or macchiato the rest of the day.

Note: The Albergo and most any other hotel, will make you capuccinos, macchiatos or espressos at breakfast.  It's included, just ask for it. They will also have an urn of "American" coffee.  

Edited by marazul

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

Any place in Italy will make a macchiato.  You can request chocolate powder on top of your macchiato or capuccino. Any coffee bar in Italy would be offended if you brought your own chocolate shaker. 

Italy is coffee heaven.

They generally serve Lavazza, Illy or Segafreddo coffee throughout Italy.  It will be nothing like you get at Starbucks (thank heavens!). Tazza d'Oro, one of the best coffee bars in Rome, is around the corner from the Albergo del Senato.  😉 

And never, ever order any type of coffee to drink with your lunch or dinner!!!!!  Espresso or macchiato after lunch or dinner is almost required.  Order capuccino, caffelatte, or any other type to have with breakfast or mid-morning snack.  Espresso or macchiato the rest of the day.

Thanks!  I would probably also like a caffe latte. I only drink one cup of coffee daily and it’s in the morning, usually black with dark chocolate collegian powder made at home. I was thinking about just making individual servings in baggies if most hotels would have coffee. 

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks!  I would probably also like a caffe latte. I only drink one cup of coffee daily and it’s in the morning, usually black with dark chocolate collegian powder made at home. I was thinking about just making individual servings in baggies if most hotels would have coffee. 

Do you mean a coffeemaker in the room? Most 3-star and up hotels would have them. The Albergo has them. However, you are also getting breakfast included with your room and you will get a much better cup of coffee there. 

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

Do you mean a coffeemaker in the room? Most 3-star and up hotels would have them. The Albergo has them. However, you are also getting breakfast included with your room and you will get a much better cup of coffee there. 

No, I won’t use in room coffee makers.  I have this thing about the cleanliness of them. I didn’t realize breakfast was included with the room. Nice!  Whenever we stay in hotels here, they usually offer complimentary coffee. I didn’t know if that was a thing there as well. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No, I won’t use in room coffee makers.  I have this thing about the cleanliness of them. I didn’t realize breakfast was included with the room. Nice!  Whenever we stay in hotels here, they usually offer complimentary coffee. I didn’t know if that was a thing there as well. 

In Europe, it is usual to have breakfast included with the room. Check all your reservations and you will see that it is.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, marazul said:

In Europe, it is usual to have breakfast included with the room. Check all your reservations and you will see that it is.

Yes, I just checked and Albergo del Senato does say buffet breakfast is included. Should we expect an American or Italian type breakfast?  Hotel Rialto and Hotel Continental just say breakfast included. Hotel Residence says breakfast on terrace included (I’m picturing coffee and sweets?), and Athen’s Gate Hotel says American buffet breakfast included. Thanks for pointing this out because I booked these so long ago I completely forgot. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Yes, I just checked and Albergo del Senato does say buffet breakfast is included. Should we expect an American or Italian type breakfast?  Hotel Rialto and Hotel Continental just say breakfast included. Hotel Residence says breakfast on terrace included (I’m picturing coffee and sweets?), and Athen’s Gate Hotel says American buffet breakfast included. Thanks for pointing this out because I booked these so long ago I completely forgot. 

They are all catering to international guests. All of them will probably be a mixture of American, English and German breakfast with local pastries and cheeses added. Eggs, cold cuts, cheese. Both crispy and soggy bacon.  Coffee to order included.  Some will be more extensive than others. You will not go hungry. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, marazul said:

They are all catering to international guests. All of them will probably be a mixture of American, English and German breakfast with local pastries and cheeses added. Eggs, cold cuts, cheese. Both crispy and soggy bacon.  Coffee to order included.  Some will be more extensive than others. You will not go hungry. 

I’m sure I won’t!  I normally just have a protein bar on the go. I had thought about bringing them with me but I see there is no need unless we want them for snacks, but I doubt that we will need them at all. Maybe for the flight over. 

Also regarding coffee, don’t expect the huge cup sizes you get at places like Starbucks etc. I love that morning cappuccinos in Italy are a manageable size. If you stand at a coffee bar and drink, the coffees tend to be a bit cheaper - watch how all the locals do it!

3 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

If you stand at a coffee bar and drink, the coffees tend to be a bit cheaper - watch how all the locals do it!

@NCteacherlovescruising

At coffee bars (also gelaterias or wherever you order counter food), you pay first and then get your food.  Tell the cashier what kind of coffee you want and which pastry or snack you want.  Pay.  Show the receipt to the barista who will make your coffee and hand you your food.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Also regarding coffee, don’t expect the huge cup sizes you get at places like Starbucks etc. I love that morning cappuccinos in Italy are a manageable size. If you stand at a coffee bar and drink, the coffees tend to be a bit cheaper - watch how all the locals do it!

I’ve heard about them charging extra to sit over there. However, I’m thinking of all the walking we’ll be doing and having a chance to sit for a few would probably be a welcome relief. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’ve heard about them charging extra to sit over there. However, I’m thinking of all the walking we’ll be doing and having a chance to sit for a few would probably be a welcome relief. 

The prices in coffee bars are higher for table service. Even so, the prices for coffee will be less than what you pay at Starbucks at home. Stand at the counter or grab and go prices are less. 

9 minutes ago, marazul said:

The prices in coffee bars are higher for table service. Even so, the prices for coffee will be less than what you pay at Starbucks at home. Stand at the counter or grab and go prices are less. 

We rarely go to Starbucks unless I have a gift card or am on vacation. 

Hotel Rialto has a continental breakfast and they had cereal, yogurt, pastries, fruit, juices, cheese, meat, bread and I think maybe hard boiled eggs and getting coffee there isn't an issue (stayed 1 night last year.  Liked it but the area, while convenient, was WAY too crowded and peoplely for me.  Though they did send me to a great spot for lunch. (Trattoria Al Gazzettino)

Cafe Latte really isn't a thing in Italy.  You might get coffee with milk, or coffee and a glass of milk but it might not be what you expect. 

If you happen to be going there by water taxi, it drops you off about 20 paces from the front door.  Easy peasy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Cafe Latte really isn't a thing in Italy.  You might get coffee with milk, or coffee and a glass of milk but it might not be what you expect. 

Have to disagree that caffe latte isn't a thing. It's on the menu at Tazza d'Oro, one of the oldest caffeterias in Rome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Cafe Latte really isn't a thing in Italy.  You might get coffee with milk, or coffee and a glass

I have seen them in menus for years.

6 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Hotel Rialto has a continental breakfast and they had cereal, yogurt, pastries, fruit, juices, cheese, meat, bread and I think maybe hard boiled eggs and getting coffee there isn't an issue (stayed 1 night last year.  Liked it but the area, while convenient, was WAY too crowded and peoplely for me.  Though they did send me to a great spot for lunch. (Trattoria Al Gazzettino)

If you happen to be going there by water taxi, it drops you off about 20 paces from the front door.  Easy peasy.

We are taking a private water taxi to Hotel Rialto. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Have to disagree that caffe latte isn't a thing. It's on the menu at Tazza d'Oro, one of the oldest caffeterias in Rome.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

I have seen them in menus for years.

On the rare occasions I get something from Starbucks, I like a cafe mocha. I’m assuming that’s more like the caffé macchiato. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

On the rare occasions I get something from Starbucks, I like a cafe mocha. I’m assuming that’s more like the caffé macchiato. 

No. Macchiatto is an espresso with a little splash of foamed milk on top.

It will be like nothing you get at Starbucks. Think small cups with very intense, not 'burnt" coffee.Three or four sips, not a gallon of coffee.

Edited by marazul

27 minutes ago, marazul said:

No. Macchiatto is an espresso with a little splash of foamed milk on top.

It will be like nothing you get at Starbucks. Think small cups with very intense, not 'burnt" coffee.Three or four sips, not a gallon of coffee.

Oops!  It’s caffé marocchino. 

Just don't get confused between an espresso macchiato and a latte macchiato!

Espresso macchiato is an espresso with a stain of steamed milk, whereas a latte macchiato is steamed milk with a stain of espresso.