St. Catherine Beach and Warwick Long Bay beach???

gdlamberth

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George.  I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine. Looking for comments on snorkeling at either place (not a requirement just a nice to have) and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay.  

Thanks for all inputs,

Greg

16 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George. 

Assuming Oceania Insignia? If so it's one of the best cruises to Bermuda in terms of docking locations and how it lets you see the island-- being in St Georges and then downtown Hamilton makes a huge difference. We've done it a few times and frankly once you've done it this way its hard to go back. 

18 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine.

You can walk to both-- keep in mind that it is uphill most of the way and if it is ghastly hot and humid it will be a miserable trudge. Also keep in mind that a good bit of it is on narrow road, with no sidewalk, that has walls rising from either side. Cars and motor scooters will mind you but keep an eye out and you might end up pressed against the wall a few times. Taxis are easily available in St Georges, usually lined up when the ship docks in the morning, so if its hot just use one. 

Both of them have their charms. Tobacco Bay is a bit sheltered while St Catherines is more of a beach. Major benefit these days at St Catherines is the newish St Regis resort. While you cant use the pool facilities on the beach not being an overnight guest you can dine, get drinks, etc. 

Also a lot of fun over that way is going for drinks/lunch/dinner at Rosewood Tuckers Point. Great set up and a short taxi from St Georges. 

27 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay. 

On this cruise we typically divide our time on either side of the island depending on the day. We'll stay on the East side for the St Georges overnight. Saves a bunch of cab fare. From Hamilton you can take a bus to Warwick and Horseshoe but we typically take a taxi. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George.  I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine. Looking for comments on snorkeling at either place (not a requirement just a nice to have) and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay.  

Thanks for all inputs,

Greg

There is public access at St. Catherine but there are no amenities. I have walked to Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine but if you are there in August or early September it is hot and humid. You will probably regret it. If you want an uncrowded  beach from St. George I suggest taking a taxi to Coopers Island. One of the beaches Clearwater has amenities and is not crowded and inside Coopers Reserve are pristine beaches that are practically empty. For Warwick and Horseshoe you can take a bus or taxi from Hamiltion. I recommend a taxi. I usually start at Wawick and walk to Horseshoe. For snorkeling Tobacco Bay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 12:10 PM, Charles4515 said:

There is public access at St. Catherine but there are no amenities. I have walked to Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine but if you are there in August or early September it is hot and humid. You will probably regret it. If you want an uncrowded  beach from St. George I suggest taking a taxi to Coopers Island. One of the beaches Clearwater has amenities and is not crowded and inside Coopers Reserve are pristine beaches that are practically empty. For Warwick and Horseshoe you can take a bus or taxi from Hamiltion. I recommend a taxi. I usually start at Wawick and walk to Horseshoe. For snorkeling Tobacco Bay. 

How far is Clearwater Beach from the Dockyard? We always do Horseshoe one day but would like to try something different when we go in August.

4 hours ago, AmbitionatBay said:

How far is Clearwater Beach from the Dockyard? We always do Horseshoe one day but would like to try something different when we go in August.

On the clear other side of the island. An hour, and very expensive taxi ride, or you can take the ferry from the Dockyard to St Georges and go from there. Its near the airport if you're looking at a map. 

• Like 1

We are also on the Insignia, but not in St George's very long as before. With the new stop in Newport, we will be looking for a beach from Hamilton. We have been to Horseshoe and want to go to Clearwater. Is this a viable option from Hamilton? Any idea of cab cost?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

We have been to Horseshoe and want to go to Clearwater. Is this a viable option from Hamilton?

Do you have things planned for the time you are in St Georges on Insignia? That would be the best time to do Clearwater due to proximity. 

2 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

We are also on the Insignia, but not in St George's very long as before. With the new stop in Newport, we will be looking for a beach from Hamilton. We have been to Horseshoe and want to go to Clearwater. Is this a viable option from Hamilton? Any idea of cab cost?

Ballpark taxi fare would be $45 to $50 plus tip each way for 1-4 passengers Monday through Saturday.

I agree with @princeton123211 that it would be best to go to Clearwater while you're in St. George's...but I do recognize that on the new itinerary your time there is short.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

I believe we are there from 8 to 3 this time.

We'll most likely go to Tobacco Bay again early.

They have ruined the best reason to do Oceania to Bermuda. I don’t want to do Newport News on a 7 day Bermuda cruise. I would be okay with only Hamilton, did that on Holland America,, easy enough to get around. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Newport News on a 7 day Bermuda cruise.

It's actually Newport Rhode Island which is a giant improvement over Newport News but wholeheartedly agree with you-- the full overnight in St Georges was a big selling point. 

6 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

I believe we are there from 8 to 3 this time.

We'll most likely go to Tobacco Bay again early.

Keep in mind you don't actually have to sail with the ship to Hamilton, unless you want to. We always did because Insignia would transit in the very, very early morning from St Georges to Hamilton but on a day where they do this at 3 in the afternoon you could always go to Clearwater and just meet the ship later in Hamilton. 

35 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Keep in mind you don't actually have to sail with the ship to Hamilton, unless you want to. We always did because Insignia would transit in the very, very early morning from St Georges to Hamilton but on a day where they do this at 3 in the afternoon you could always go to Clearwater and just meet the ship later in Hamilton. 

The itinerary is the reverse of what you're thinking. The ship docks in Hamilton first and then moves to St. George's early in the morning on its last day in Bermuda.

33 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It's actually Newport Rhode Island which is a giant improvement over Newport News but wholeheartedly agree with you-- the full overnight in St Georges was a big selling point. 

That was an oops. I meant Newport RI. I did a long cruise 10 or 11 days on Summit out of NY in June a few years ago that did Newport, Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and 2 1/2 days in Bermuda at the Dockyard.  That was a pretty good itinerary. I had never done Newport, Portland and Bar Harbor. That was the year I did the Oceania 7 day St George and Hamilton later in the year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago, when NCL was still docking in St George’s, there was a cheap shuttle (like $2 pp) available from the dock over the hill to Tobacco Bay.  It sure beat trudging!   
I assume that shuttle doesn’t function anymore from wherever NCL docks its free ferry. It would be so nice if you could tell me it’s still running   Yes?

3 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

Many years ago, when NCL was still docking in St George’s, there was a cheap shuttle (like $2 pp) available from the dock over the hill to Tobacco Bay.  It sure beat trudging!   
I assume that shuttle doesn’t function anymore from wherever NCL docks its free ferry. It would be so nice if you could tell me it’s still running   Yes?

It was $3 but sorry it is not running. Sharing a taxi won't be expensive. Also there might be some gypsy type vehicles offering rides. 

On 7/5/2024 at 8:36 AM, AmbitionatBay said:

Take the Ferry to St. George, then a taxi to Clearwater.  

1 hour ago, LINDAE3213 said:

Does the ferry run in oct from dockyard to st george? We just booked a cruise that will be in bermuda oct 21/22.  

Last year the ferry to St. George's ran in October and was discontinued for the winter in early November so I think there's a good chance that will run in October this year. Unfortunately the Bermuda Department of Marine and Ports summer ferry schedule  doesn't display an end date so we can only conjecture based on last year's schedule. 

On 7/28/2024 at 6:28 PM, Charles4515 said:

It was $3 but sorry it is not running. Sharing a taxi won't be expensive. Also there might be some gypsy type vehicles offering rides. 

Are these gypsy type vehicles safe? I assume they are not sanctioned?  And might you know what kind of prices they might charge?  We are a group of 9, so that would require multiple taxis, I gather, so I was hoping for an inexpensive pp cost to get to Tobacco

On 6/12/2024 at 6:34 PM, princeton123211 said:

Both of them have their charms. Tobacco Bay is a bit sheltered while St Catherines is more of a beach. Major benefit these days at St Catherines is the newish St Regis resort. While you cant use the pool facilities on the beach not being an overnight guest you can dine, get drinks, etc. 

Are there chairs and umbrellas there (St Catherine’s) for rent?  It sounds like a great alternative to the potentially crazy busy beaches that are elsewhere. 

Also, could you possibly plot on a map where the NCL ferry docks? 

On 8/4/2024 at 8:50 PM, Birdnutty said:

Are these gypsy type vehicles safe? I assume they are not sanctioned?  And might you know what kind of prices they might charge?  We are a group of 9, so that would require multiple taxis, I gather, so I was hoping for an inexpensive pp cost to get to Tobacco

They are not sanctioned. I took one out of desperation from Clearwater and the car was in good shape. It was his personal car. I always look at the tire tread. As far as charges I can’t say generally but he charged the same $20 fare as the taxi that took us from St Georges to Clearwater. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, Birdnutty said:

Are there chairs and umbrellas there (St Catherine’s) for rent?  It sounds like a great alternative to the potentially crazy busy beaches that are elsewhere. 

Also, could you possibly plot on a map where the NCL ferry docks? 

There are no chairs to rent at St. Catherine or any amenities. The NCL ferry docks where it says Hunters Wharf on the map. The public ferry is at Pennos  Wharf. They close to each other. The red line is to Tobacco Bay. Follow to the right along the water front until Water St. 

IMG_0133.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515