OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JUNE 2024

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That will be very interesting what happens when Explora visits Ocean Cay. Which cabins get to use Ocean House or if everyone can go or no one will go to Ocean House. Those not in a Residence will definitely have ruffled feathers if Residences are allowed and they are not allowed. This is the problem with Explora as with Regent, why pay so much more, just for a bigger cabin ?

Explora is actively trying recruit all levels, especially butlers from MSC... My question is why ? The butlers on Explora are useless, just like on Regent.  They are not used to running back and forth in the sand, under the hot Caribbean sun.

We are booked on the Explora only because we are traveling with friends who wanted to try this brand.They are much more comfortable on smaller ships so are hesitant to try MSC. We enjoy their company a lot so we said yes. However there has been a delay finishing Explora ll. If it gets cancelled I will not be unhappy about it. I doubt I will get that lucky but if it happens we’ll be back on MSC YC. 

Well, we are home, home on the range. Had another wonderful cruise in the Yacht Club. Really a nice group of passengers this cruise. Not the bunch of interlopers, drunks and rude theatre goers we encountered on past cruises. Kids were good too. Looking forward already to our next Seascape adventure.

Tally Ho.. (A simple greeting, primarily used by the upper classes.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"...why pay so much more, just for a bigger cabin ?"

I suggest that a primary motivator is the average length of luxury-line cruises.

Most of their business is not short, closed loop. It is meandering A to B, B to C, C to D, etc. Cruisers on a ship for 5+ weeks at a time probably desire the roominess.

The reduced inventory of quick, closed loop cruises in a season is why we have not tried tried Crystal, Oceania, and the rest. We nearly had a Regent cruise, but we had to dump it when it embarkation changed from Miami to Bridgeton.

48 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Well, we are home, home on the range. Had another wonderful cruise in the Yacht Club. Really a nice group of passengers this cruise. Not the bunch of interlopers, drunks and rude theatre goers we encountered on past cruises. Kids were good too. Looking forward already to our next Seascape adventure.

Great to meet you guys during what was a fantastic two weeks and the best cruise we have had so far. Glad you are home safe as we now resting up in a hotel before the long flight back to the U.K. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Appreciate the great Live thread, thank you Morpheus!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Three, less than one minute videos decribing changes still in progress by Mustafa Yacht Club director.

Do you mind if we share these with folks NOT part of the CC boards?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 9:27 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

My pleasure. I try to please all fellow CC cruisers, even those in steerage.

Your  posts are very enlighting,  We have cruised MSC several times and have been very pleased, however, we are ordinary persons from humble hard working backgrounds and do resent the inference of steerage class which is all we are able to do, Reread some of your posts maybe you don't realize how your wording may offend many of us peons,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Well, we are home, home on the range.

Thank you for yet another enjoyable and informative review.  It has made us much more anxious for our upcoming YC cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corriegr said:

Great to meet you guys during what was a fantastic two weeks and the best cruise we have had so far. Glad you are home safe as we now resting up in a hotel before the long flight back to the U.K. 

The pleasure is all ours. You really should post more. Not just because your perspective mirrors mine, but I need all the support I can muster on this platform. Most of the time we must put up with the 95% of the small minded postings of the steerage class. In the few conversations we had about MSC I get the impression you are more diplomatic in your wording than me. You remind me of Winston Churchill who once wrote "Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions."

Safe journey home. "Let the fair winds and following seas bring you back to me (England), for here you'll find a home."

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Moz said:

Your  posts are very enlighting,  We have cruised MSC several times and have been very pleased, however, we are ordinary persons from humble hard working backgrounds and do resent the inference of steerage class which is all we are able to do, Reread some of your posts maybe you don't realize how your wording may offend many of us peons,

Dear Moz,

Of course you are right...but what fun is that ? 

The truth is (from my perspective) that for 50 years (from 20 to 72) we have been "peons". Cruising in two lowers on the inside (even a double bed was $100 more for the cabin and I was a tightwad). Finally the quote of travel guru, Ethel Blum, kicked into my head as old age is suddenly upon me, "If you don't travel first class, your heirs will".  I hope I didn't wait too long to complete all the cruises I have planned using up our nest egg in the few years we have left. Maybe my postings will goad some of my fellow peons in steerage to 'wake up' before it is too late.

Thanks for your post.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Dear Moz,

Of course you are right...but what fun is that ? 

The truth is (from my perspective) that for 50 years (from 20 to 72) we have been "peons". Cruising in two lowers on the inside (even a double bed was $100 more for the cabin and I was a tightwad). Finally the quote of travel guru, Ethel Blum, kicked into my head as old age is suddenly upon me, "If you don't travel first class, your heirs will".  I hope I didn't wait too long to complete all the cruises I have planned using up our nest egg in the few years we have left. Maybe my postings will goad some of my fellow peons in steerage to 'wake up' before it is too late.

Thanks for your post.

Thank you for your response. I do understand where you are coming from but we have chosen to leave the very little what we have accumulated to maybe $2000 to each of our children (seven) We have educated each of them to help them through college and are blessed by their accomplishments and their children,  That is about all we have left and still provide us to cruise once a year in steerage class.Appreciate your  literary references as even I am knowledgeable in those circles,  Thanks again and enjoy your future cruises in the class you choose,

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Finally the quote of travel guru, Ethel Blum, kicked into my head as old age is suddenly upon me, "If you don't travel first class, your heirs will". 

We inform our children every time we travel that "we are off spending more of your inheritance."  They both just laugh and tell us "go ahead you've earned it."  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We inform our children every time we travel that "we are off spending more of your inheritance."  They both just laugh and tell us "go ahead you've earned it."  

I tell my parents often, "I hope you live until the day you spend your last dollar."

Of course if they live even longer than that, even better...we'll take care of them, but I certainly don't want or expect to inherit anything (my sisters on the other hand...).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moz said:

Thank you for your response. I do understand where you are coming from but we have chosen to leave the very little what we have accumulated to maybe $2000 to each of our children (seven) We have educated each of them to help them through college and are blessed by their accomplishments and their children,  That is about all we have left and still provide us to cruise once a year in steerage class.Appreciate your  literary references as even I am knowledgeable in those circles,  Thanks again and enjoy your future cruises in the class you choose,

I've been extremely fortunate and blessed beyond what I probably deserve as an entrepreneur to be able to live what most would consider a privileged life now at the age of 41 (though we were on the brink of bankruptcy and my business failing when COVID started), but having been on both sides of things financially, I learned an extremely important lesson along the way: 

Money does not make the man and our worth is not determined by the number of 0's in our portfolio. 

---

I can tell you're a man of great worth and your kids had a very positive role model growing up. 

You should be very proud. 

Happy sails my friend, I'm rooting for you.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Moz said:

I can't speak for others but most of the time on the forum, using the word "steerage" is meant as a humorous throwback to the movie "Titanic" and the over the top class distinctions...

803d83ca-ea96-4427-9779-d60621336b55_tex

...and isn't meant to insult anyone. 

Just because someone is sailing "Bella" doesn't mean that they are prettier than others, either. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moz said:

Oddly enough your story brought to my mind another true story.  I went searching for answers and ran across this story. Abd Al-Rahman III was Emir and Caliph of Cordoba in 10th century Spain. He was an absolute ruler who lived in complete luxury. "I have now reigned above 50 years in victory or peace; beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot....They amount to 14." 

The Caliph did not have an advisor as astute as Oscar Wilde "True contentment is not having everything, but in being satisfied with everything you have."

P.S. What I find now traveling only in suite class with butlers is the differences between cruise lines. The value of each. For readers to find that the greater majority of so called "luxury" cruising is not there. One can have a better time in steerage. That suite class can actually be 'sour grapes'. But not MSC Yacht Clubs.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
ps

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Oddly enough your story brought to my mind another true story.  I went searching for answers and ran across this story. Abd Al-Rahman III was Emir and Caliph of Cordoba in 10th century Spain. He was an absolute ruler who lived in complete luxury. "I have now reigned above 50 years in victory or peace; beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot....They amount to 14." 

The Caliph did not have an advisor as astute as Oscar Wilde "True contentment is not having everything, but in being satisfied with everything you have."

You are a man of much mystery and enlightenment.

I'm going to need you and @DaKahuna to join us on one of our upcoming YC adventures:

• MSC Seascape: January 18, 2024 (Puerto Plata, San Juan, + Ocean Cay, Yacht Club)
  • MSC World America: May 24, 2025 (Puerto Plata, San Juan + Ocean Cay, Yacht Club)

Either work - just let me know! 🙃

Note: I just realized both of these are the same exact itinerary...fortunately we choose our cruises for the ships and not the itineraries!

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel

Thank you for allowing us to join you and the Mrs. for another ride-along. Looking forward to more spirited and captivating interactions on your next journey. 

May the wind be at your back (and all of that), Sir!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

You are a man of much mystery and enlightenment.

I'm going to need you and @DaKahuna to join us on one of our upcoming YC adventures:

I read a story about the famous and beautiful Marlene Dietrich who during one of her final performances on stage stopped mid performance and told a gentleman in the first row to put away his opera glasses and not spoil the illusion. I too fear our meeting anyone here would spoil the illusion I have created.

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Note: I just realized both of these are the same exact itinerary...fortunately we choose our cruises for the ships and not the itineraries!

I also have the same itinerary booked so I will be very interested in your review. I've never been to DR nor PR at all whether by plane or by ship.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Thank you for allowing us to join you and the Mrs. for another ride-along. Looking forward to more spirited and captivating interactions on your next journey. 

May the wind be at your back (and all of that), Sir!!

Always happy to read your responses.

• Thanks 1

Now in the twilight of our years we no longer find the destinations of any interest. Have discovered that there exists a charm, an idyllic beauty that exists from afar. Upon closer examination one finds disappointment around every corner. The tour guides, taxi driver guides, the people, would all trade places with you in an instant. Now our focus is ship, cabin, food, and treatment on board. Covid woke us up to our impending fates. Might as well "live rich than die rich" Dr. Samuel Johnson

• Like 3