Review: QM2 TA - June 9th to 15th

*Miss G*

Oh my gosh.  You are all so kind with your comments!  Thank you so much.  🥰

@Host Hattie, I don’t believe I found the Carinthia Lounge (that I know of), but… if they serve lunch… a new adventure awaits!  Thank you.

@Pushpit, now I know how I ended up in the Commodore Club!  😂  I never visited the spa or the gym so I guess that supports my belief that I never found Carinthia either.  Thanks for the information!  

@Jack E Dawson, that’s why I am so glad that you posted your review!  It was so much fun to read of the crossing from another point of view.  Thank you!

I can’t wait to get back on this ship.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

That's a shame, it's next to the King's Court. They have a selection of sweet and savoury small plates.

Oh, that would be perfect!  No, I definitely missed that.  I guess I didn’t walk far enough forward.  HAL used to do that in their Explorations Café and that was my favourite lunch spot.  Of course, they took that away so… 🤷‍♀️

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

@Pushpit, now I know how I ended up in the Commodore Club!  😂  I never visited the spa or the gym so I guess that supports my belief that I never found Carinthia either.  Thanks for the information!  

I imagine you did go through Carinthia, it's one of the larger lounge areas, with lots of sofas, just after Kings Court on Deck 7. It has the most expensive Illy espresso rig, and is, for many, a good place for coffee. It has a slightly longer coffee menu compared to the other venues. It also does an alternative breakfast menu for those who want just some small plates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pushpit said:

I imagine you did go through Carinthia, it's one of the larger lounge areas, with lots of sofas, just after Kings Court on Deck 7. It has the most expensive Illy espresso rig, and is, for many, a good place for coffee. It has a slightly longer coffee menu compared to the other venues. It also does an alternative breakfast menu for those who want just some small plates.

Well, darn it!  I guess I need to book another sailing, quickly.  Apparently those stars in my eyes were blocking my view!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Well, darn it!  I guess I need to book another sailing, quickly.  Apparently those stars in my eyes were blocking my view!

Sounds like a great excuse for another trip !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's a shame, it's next to the King's Court. They have a selection of sweet and savoury small plates.

There's occasions when I wish I had never found QM2's Carinthia breakfast selections.  They sometimes have a custard doughnut that is very addictive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

And in the evenings there is the "port bar" with a large range of evening drinks.  On one TA crossing we were on that featured RADA, they did a series of "bedtime stories" with the actors reading different parts of the stories  With a glass of port, it was a very pleasant way to finish a day on QM2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

It has the most expensive Illy espresso rig

I downloaded a number of updated menus earlier.

They are all describing "Union Hand-Roasted Coffee" rather than Illy.

Never heard of them before but seems like it might be ok:

https://unionroasted.com/pages/about

• Like 1

@Pushpit @Host Hattie

Oh my gosh, I DID find the Carinthia Lounge!!  I googled for pictures and it sparked that memory!  I had to study the deck plans for it so I could attend the presentation of Twelfth Night.  That report is on my next installment.  😃

Sadly, I was completely oblivious to its small plate offerings.  I know better now!

And… @sfred…. Mmmmm.  Custard doughnuts.  My fave.  Boy, did I miss out.  (And now I want a custard doughnut.)

• Like 4

I am delighted to read of your experiences particularly your library and "tardis" time!

We love this part of the ship almost a secret area !  This photo from the library on our recent trip to Norway at sunset many rides up and down inthe "tardis"

20240608_210436.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, D&N said:

I downloaded a number of updated menus earlier.

They are all describing "Union Hand-Roasted Coffee" rather than Illy.

Never heard of them before but seems like it might be ok:

https://unionroasted.com/pages/about

I am very familiar with them, they are an East London roaster who runs the top of the range coffee for Waitrose. They also are used in Club and First Class on British Airways, and in the Concorde Room and bars. So well spotted, it's good news to my mind, and a UK company.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jazzyboom said:

I am delighted to read of your experiences particularly your library and "tardis" time!

We love this part of the ship almost a secret area !  This photo from the library on our recent trip to Norway at sunset many rides up and down inthe "tardis"

20240608_210436.jpg

Thank you for posting your picture!  I wanted to take pictures while I was there but it seemed there would be passengers in every shot and I didn’t want to make them feel uncomfortable.  (Even though I always “scrub” the faces prior to posting on CC.)  Next time I will try to get there early to do so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for posting your picture!  I wanted to take pictures while I was there but it seemed there would be passengers in every shot and I didn’t want to make them feel uncomfortable.  (Even though I always “scrub” the faces prior to posting on CC.)  Next time I will try to get there early to do so.

We were in stateroom 8001 such a lovely location right next to the library we would go in the evening when it was very quiet and sit in the green chairs near the lift. Many different view aspects. Thank you for your writing style entertaining and riveting!

• Like 3

DAY THREE - STILL AT SEA

Wednesday, June 12th

Today is EXPEDITION DAY - PART DEUX.  Part Deux, part deux, part deux.

I begin my day outside the Royal Court Theatre where I find some handy statistics outside on the wall.  We are now over the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

IMG_9630.thumb.jpeg.92269d90ae04ee5b525a9cf8764bb486.jpeg

Since I am on Deck 2, it seems like a good a time as any to visit the Purser’s Office.  I need envelopes and I have a question.  Is there somewhere I can purchase Cunard memorabilia?  Yes, he says.  Upstairs in the shop to the left.  Hmm.  I have been there before, but just a peek through the window.  Maybe there is a hidden nook like the library?  I guess I have to go inside.

But, first, I take some pictures while I’m here:

IMG_9636.thumb.jpeg.dd9980905e19061402cf36023c6e5693.jpeg

IMG_9632.thumb.jpeg.55aa287e67a0d4536d5c000ccabd4900.jpeg

IMG_9637.thumb.jpeg.0ede9c99f180b9fcd577db890230b93f.jpeg

Very pretty.  At night the colour changes to blue.  I did not get a picture of that.

This hallway is amazing.  Kudos to the designer.  A job well done.

IMG_9635.thumb.jpeg.d507f2ef208c9a24410e4c24c650ded1.jpeg

I make my way upstairs and towards said shop.  The view from the window is women’s clothing and bags, so I hadn’t gone inside.  This time, I did as I was directed.

I turn the corner and… Lo and Behold!!  Here is exactly what I am looking for!  This section is filled with logo memorabilia!  I am excited.  As @Ray66 says, the souvenir shop is accessible from Sir Samuel’s coffee lounge.  I guess I had missed it because I hadn’t sat near the windows.  This is good to know!

I choose a black baseball cap for my husband and a white one for my father.  Cunard gave him his first job, at Liverpool Headquarters, and this will be perfect for his summer golfing!

And look!  I found myself a Cunard sweater!  Well, it’s actually a zip-up hoodie.  It is warm and fuzzy and covers my butt.  (Butts need warmth too.)  I am happy with my choices and now I can go out on deck without freezing my butt off!  Yay!

I see a dress but there is nowhere to try it on.  Like an idiot, I decide that I can probably get a good idea if I try it on over my clothing.  What a dumb idea…. But I do it anyway.  My school report cards are full of my dumb ideas.  Apparently they were never able to unteach me.

I take look at the result in the mirror and I see my Grandmother staring back.  While my Grandmother was a snazzy dresser, that was from another era.  

I pull the dress up over my shoulders to put it back on its hanger.  Oh oh.  Well, this is a situation I hadn’t foreseen.  I am now standing in the shop with my hands in the air and the dress stuck around my shoulders.  Thankfully, it is covering my face so I don’t have to see the looks on everyone’s faces.  I ponder my next move.  I could ask for someone to help me or I could pretend it’s part of my layout and move on.

Option One is out of the question, as I would have to make my way to the Cashier’s Desk whilst blinded by dress.  Option Two would be stealing.  I gather up the hem and try one more time.  Success!  I had somehow managed to squish myself small enough to get it off.  What a relief!  I return the dress to its hanger and make like nothing ever happened, and that this was a normal everyday occurrence.  It is not.  Okay, well it is for me, but probably not for others.

I make my escape.

• Like 7
  • Haha 10

25 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying your reports, Miss G!

2 minutes ago, napria said:

Miss G, if you’re not a published writer, you’re missing your calling!  

Thank you, both!  I am not a published writer… unless CC counts!  😂  I wouldn’t know what to write about!  I did start taking notes on cooking and recipes (I love to cook) in order to clarify process and the reasons why.  (If I know the reasons why I am doing something, it helps me to understand the process.  I’ve had some memorable disasters. 😳)  Maybe I could combine the two!  Sadly, my years of notes disappeared during my last house move.  😢

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

This hallway is amazing.  Kudos to the designer.  A job well done.

IMG_9635.thumb.jpeg.d507f2ef208c9a24410e4c24c650ded1.jpeg

I trimmed the post because I wanted to respond to the comment about the hallway. I love to stand in those hallways on 2 and 3, where you can feel the vibration of the engines and realize that you're traveling in a magnificent machine! 

Did you find Homer Simpson?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I trimmed the post because I wanted to respond to the comment about the hallway. I love to stand in those hallways on 2 and 3, where you can feel the vibration of the engines and realize that you're traveling in a magnificent machine! 

Did you find Homer Simpson?

Homer Simpson?  Try as I might, I cannot connect the dots!

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Homer Simpson?  Try as I might, I cannot connect the dots!

I don't remember if it's 2 or 3, but along one of those hallways, there are bronzes with animals and figures and aspects of different regions of the globe. For North America, there's a baseball of football player, a grizzly bear (I think?) and Homer Simpson! I'll see if I can find a picture.

• Like 1