How “last minute” can you book a cruise?

8 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

You might have fun browsing around on Cruiseplum.

Maybe in a few months - I went there for fun.  When I put global it gave me some cruises (although I didn't pay any attention to them).  When I put Gulf Coast, I got NOTHING. 🙂

Posted (edited)

It’s definitely possible to book last minute. 

Booked the day before sailing in Sept 22, chose my cabin and had no problems at all. 

Online check in had closed but just went to the terminal with my cabin number. 

Price seemed fair, about the going rate for a med cruise. 

Booked MSC 3 days before sailing last week, short med cruise. Meant I had no dining time allocated but easily rectified onboard. Online check in was still open and despite booking interior cabin was upgraded into a deluxe balcony.  

Regularly book last minute most cruise lines seem to allow it. Have seen NCL offers for on the day, but Virgin/MSC seem to stop selling the day before. 

Edited by BJ223
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Exactly...and if no cabins are available for choosing they may assign you a GUARANTEED cabin. Which was my point from a hundred posts earlier. 

It's not rocket science...or even cruise ship science. Although @RocketMan275 might disagree 😁

I certainly do disagree.  If the class of cabin I wish to book isn't available then that cruise isn't available.  

This question is more complex and must consider the types of cabin available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hey rocketman. if i'm not mistaken, the original question was how late can you book a cruise. while in theory, your point is correct, in principle, if any category cabin is still available, and you're willing to book that cabin, the cruise is still available. the complexity lies in if the cruiser is willing to book a different cabin or not, or how badly any particular cruiser wants that itinerary,

i would like to book the ncl sky african cruise next may. having posted this many times before, my wife and i like to book in the "suites" category. unfortunately (for us) the suites on the ncl sky are outrageously high.  while  they are  available to book, for us it's cost prohibitive. so, thanks to this being only a 1st world problem, we will book a balcony and save about 6000. it's the itinerary i'm interested in, so we're willing to take a lower category cabin. the sky doesnt even offer a "club balcony"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

hey rocketman. if i'm not mistaken, the original question was how late can you book a cruise. while in theory, your point is correct, in principle, if any category cabin is still available, and you're willing to book that cabin, the cruise is still available. the complexity lies in if the cruiser is willing to book a different cabin or not, or how badly any particular cruiser wants that itinerary,

i would like to book the ncl sky african cruise next may. having posted this many times before, my wife and i like to book in the "suites" category. unfortunately (for us) the suites on the ncl sky are outrageously high.  while  they are  available to book, for us it's cost prohibitive. so, thanks to this being only a 1st world problem, we will book a balcony and save about 6000. it's the itinerary i'm interested in, so we're willing to take a lower category cabin. the sky doesnt even offer a "club balcony"

Yes, I understand.   I also think it's important to understand that waiting till the day before  the cruise could mean that only the worst possible cabins are available. NCL does not withhold it's best cabins for last minute booking.

We always book at least a year in advance to ensure we get the cabin we want.  We have found that Haven prices are at there lowest when they're first posted.   We won't cruise in anything less than Haven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you thinking about the 21 day cruise ending in Barcelona or the 11 day ending in Cape Town?

Already booked flights in anticipation of a November NCL cruise. Do not intend to book the cruise until around a month or less prior to sailing - that's fairly last minute for me although I appreciate not the question. Will be past final payment date so cabin inventory will be known and may attract better pricing, especially as off-season in the Med. I would not take a gamble on a guarantee though unless I could see what was still available.

Flights refundable so little downside if inventory is not available in desired category - a 'bonus' cruise that may or may not happen but I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I certainly do disagree.  If the class of cabin I wish to book isn't available then that cruise isn't available.  

This question is more complex and must consider the types of cabin available.

It’s LESS complex if you just want a room, which is what the original post was. You’re making it more complex with your overlays.

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

It’s LESS complex if you just want a room, which is what the original post was. You’re making it more complex with your overlays.

My overlays make it more realistic.  I can't imagine considering just any cabin acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My overlays make it more realistic.  I can't imagine considering just any cabin acceptable.

Bed?  check

Shower?  check

On a cruise ship?  check

Welcome to steerage!!!😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

traveling man. i was referring to the 21 day sailing, ending in barcelona, and a possible sailing this nov from lisbon, ending  in capetown, regardless, the suites are priced way to high for my wife and i, and rocketman, as i quoted previously, if you like the itinerary, and your specific desired cabin category is unavailable, i would consider a different category. Consequently, for me and my wife, any category above ocean view would be acceptable. 

traveling man. i was referring to the 21 day sailing, ending in barcelona, and a possible sailing this nov from lisbon, ending  in capetown, regardless, the suites are priced way to high for my wife and i, and rocketman, as i quoted previously, if you like the itinerary, and your specific desired cabin category is unavailable, i would consider a different category. Consequently, for me and my wife, any category above ocean view would be acceptable. 

We are considering that same cruise.  If we do decide to take it, maybe we can touch base on the roll call and arrange to say howdy on the ship.

by the way, the nov 21 from lisbon dollar wise is a better deal. the problem i have with the capetown to barcelona cruise, is my daughter owns a flower shop, and my wife always helps her out for mothers day which is may 11. even i we get the late flight out of los angeles, it doesnt get me there until the 14th. i had hoped to spend at least a few days in capetown, and maybe even see if a 1 day safari tour is available. the nov cruise ends in capetown, it gives me the few days i want. if we do end up on the same cruise, i would love to check in with you as i have been following your posts and answers all the way back to "asked and answered" on assorted ncl ships. we're also booked on the 10 day prima this sept iceland to southampton. the price went down almost $1,000 after the final payment date (of course it did, ncl sop) so i have a fcc which i cant use until we get back in oct. at that time i want to see if there has been a price reduction on either one. as the time gets closer, i would be more than happy to give you my email address so we can touch base.  finally, the 1st to ports on the nov cruise are in morocco, which i would much rather visit  than the last two ports before barcelona. incidentally, we've been to barcelona, and love it, but i dont plan to stay over when we dock

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

by the way, the nov 21 from lisbon dollar wise is a better deal. the problem i have with the capetown to barcelona cruise, is my daughter owns a flower shop, and my wife always helps her out for mothers day which is may 11. even i we get the late flight out of los angeles, it doesnt get me there until the 14th. i had hoped to spend at least a few days in capetown, and maybe even see if a 1 day safari tour is available. the nov cruise ends in capetown, it gives me the few days i want. if we do end up on the same cruise, i would love to check in with you as i have been following your posts and answers all the way back to "asked and answered" on assorted ncl ships. we're also booked on the 10 day prima this sept iceland to southampton. the price went down almost $1,000 after the final payment date (of course it did, ncl sop) so i have a fcc which i cant use until we get back in oct. at that time i want to see if there has been a price reduction on either one. as the time gets closer, i would be more than happy to give you my email address so we can touch base.  finally, the 1st to ports on the nov cruise are in morocco, which i would much rather visit  than the last two ports before barcelona. incidentally, we've been to barcelona, and love it, but i dont plan to stay over when we dock

We may need to rethink this voyage.  I was browsing the Roll Calls for these cruises and came across a notice from the health services of both South Africa and Namibia.  It seems that a Yellow Fever inoculation is required to visit these countries if you recently have visited some of the other countries included on this itinerary.  Also, some African countries require that you have at least two unused pages in your passport for visa stamps.  At least one person who had posted on the roll call said they cancelled their cruise because of the cost of the shots and the need to get a new passport (even though theirs did not expire for almost three more years) because they did not have two completely blank pages available.

we were on the star this past april, rio to lisbon, and port stop in the azores. rumor had it that if you had stopped in brazil you needed a yellow fever shot to get into the azores. you are 100% correct. being the epitome of anal, i did my research, and a yellow fever shot is between $300-$400.  also, if you were entering brazil after 4/10/2024 a visa was required.  we entered on the 8th, but there was some questions as to whether or not the visa was required to enter the 3 other brazillian ports. ( a visa was not required) if we do take this cruise, it's quite possible the extra passport pages my not be required, since we're entering by ship. its questionable as to whether  or not immigration authorities would be present at the port docking stations. 

while this may be the case, i'm not betting the house on  it. thank  you for your information, we'll need to get further  information as the months progress to sailing.  the mrs has put the kibbosh on the nov sailing, so it looks like if we go, it's may or bust.

BTW, imho, only, it seems that since we're embarking from capetown south afrfica, we would not have been in a position to visit any of the other ports prior embarkation, consequently, it seems we need at least only worry about namibia!

keep your fingers crossed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

cruise, it's quite possible the extra passport pages my not be required, since we're entering by ship. its questionable as to whether  or not immigration authorities would be present at the port docking stations. 

I was on a South Africa and Namibia Cruise earlier this year. Entering and leaving Namibia immigration authorities  came on board for a compulsory passport check/stamp. In the last SA port before Namibia we had to go through passport control and passports were stamped.

• Like 1

I was just able to snag an late April Bliss Alaska sailing for $299 with a $0 single supplement three days before sailing.  Of course there were also the port taxes and service charges, but still a bargain in my mind as I just take the ferry to Seattle and walk to pier 66.  I ended up with boarding group 20 and an interior cabin on deck 8 which was just fine. Nice quick getaway.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, paradyne64 said:

I was just able to snag an late April Bliss Alaska sailing for $299 with a $0 single supplement three days before sailing.  Of course there were also the port taxes and service charges, but still a bargain in my mind as I just take the ferry to Seattle and walk to pier 66.  I ended up with boarding group 20 and an interior cabin on deck 8 which was just fine. Nice quick getaway.

Congratulations, of course that only really works when one does not need airfare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

10 million people plus live within an hour or so drive of one of NCL’s US cruise ports.

Don't you mean 18 million people (I know you said plus) live within an hour of NCL's New York City cruise port? 

3 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

10 million people plus live within an hour or so drive of one of NCL’s US cruise ports.

How many of them go on cruises? How many of them have a flexible enough schedule to go on a cruise at the last minute?