Trying to figure out Royal Caribbean's drink packages

I normally cruise on Celebrity. Thus, that is the system to which I am used. My mother normally cruises on Royal Caribbean because it is what she has almost always cruised and because they go out of Galveston. She is 79 years old, so she doesn't book her travel anymore. She asked me to book a cabin for her and a friend on a cruise in November. She wants the drink package with her cruise.

On Celebrity, if you book in a suite, you automatically get a premium drink package. Sometimes, this means that it is about the same amount of money (or occasionally cheaper) to book a suite rather than book a balcony cabin and add the drink package. I was thinking that might be the same on Royal Caribbean. However, on the cruise that she wishes to take, I can't seem to find out how much it costs per night for a drink package. How do I find that out? To me, the website seems to go in circles.

Also, it seems that lots of suites don't have a drink package. This is the list that I found:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-royal-suite-class

The suites available on this cruise are Sky Suites, but, according to the list above, they don't have a complimentary drink package. You have to be in a Star Suite in order to have a package. Is this correct? How can you be in a suite, but not have a drink package?

Thanks in advance for any answers and information.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

I normally cruise on Celebrity. Thus, that is the system to which I am used. My mother normally cruises on Royal Caribbean because it is what she has almost always cruised and because they go out of Galveston. She is 79 years old, so she doesn't book her travel anymore. She asked me to book a cabin for her and a friend on a cruise in November. She wants the drink package with her cruise.

On Celebrity, if you book in a suite, you automatically get a premium drink package. Sometimes, this means that it is about the same amount of money (or occasionally cheaper) to book a suite rather than book a balcony cabin and add the drink package. I was thinking that might be the same on Royal Caribbean. However, on the cruise that she wishes to take, I can't seem to find out how much it costs per night for a drink package. How do I find that out? To me, the website seems to go in circles.

Also, it seems that lots of suites don't have a drink package. This is the list that I found:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-royal-suite-class

The suites available on this cruise are Sky Suites, but, according to the list above, they don't have a complimentary drink package. You have to be in a Star Suite in order to have a package. Is this correct? How can you be in a suite, but not have a drink package?

Thanks in advance for any answers and information.

Royal has a lot of types of suites and only the highest level (Star class) get the drink package. They have a ton of other perks for each level depending on the ship and what class you choose.  There is a great break down here (if I'm allowed to post this...)  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-suites-guide

• Like 1

Yes, Only the Star class suites get a drink package on Royal. I linked a great list of the perks from each class but I assume it won't get approved, but this at least answers your question. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

How can you be in a suite, but not have a drink package?

That’s not uncommon. There are several lines who don’t include a drinks package with at least some suites.

It’s worth noting that Sky class suites do include drinks during happy hour in the suite lounge. In addition, with the recent reciprocal loyalty update if your mother has status with Celebrity that will transfer to Royal and Diamond or higher status includes daily drink vouchers.

• Like 2

You say your mother has almost always cruised on Royal Caribbean so she likely might be at least Diamond level in the Crown & Anchor Society, and if so she gets 4 drinks a day free.  5 drinks if she's Diamond Plus.  6 if she's a Pinnacle member.  Bear in mind that the other person in the cabin would have to buy a drink package too, so if your mother gets on, her friend has to get one.  That's the rule.  As said above, she'd also get unlimited free drinks during the evening suite happy hours.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for all of the information. 🙂

I called and she is Diamond. She and her friend are mulling over their options right now. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Thanks so much for all of the information. 🙂

I called and she is Diamond. She and her friend are mulling over their options right now. 🙂

I wouldn’t buy drink package if she is in a grand suite or above she wil

get the three hour happy hour with unlimited drinks. Because she is diamond she will get 4 additional drinks not counting happy hour.

Does she drink alcohol?  If yes, no more than 4 alcoholic drinks per day?

She may be better off getting the refreshment package (any non-alcoholic drinks) instead of the deluxe beverage package (includes alcoholic drinks).  Use the Diamond vouchers for alcoholic drinks and use the refreshment package for non-alcoholic drinks.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

She will also beer, wine, hard seltzers and cider in the suite lounge at no charge from 11 to 11...

Depending on the ship , needs to be oasis class or newer , there some older ships in Galveston besides harmony.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Depending on the ship , needs to be oasis class or newer , there some older ships in Galveston besides harmony.

I made the assumption that since they were quoting star and sky class benefits that it was Harmony they were getting but you know what they say about assumptions. 🫣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are diamond plus and in a suite- also with a few ports , find a drink package not worth it.  We get 5 free alcoholic drinks anywhere on the ship, plus beer, water, wine soda all day in the suite lounge.  Unlimited Alcholic drinks from 5-8 every evening.  Not worth any drink package for us.  We don't even drink the 5 "free" alcoholic drinks during the day.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:01 AM, Ommadawn said:

On Celebrity, if you book in a suite, you automatically get a premium drink package ... I was thinking that might be the same on Royal Caribbean.

No, not the same on Royal.  For practically everyone (those very expensive suites aside), the room and the drink package are priced separately.  

However, on the cruise that she wishes to take, I can't seem to find out how much it costs per night for a drink package. How do I find that out?

You won't be able to see a solid price for the drink package until you've reserved the cruise.  Once that's done, the drink price might go up/down, especially during holiday sales -- Black Friday being the most likely time to find a sale.  If this happens, you can call in and ask for a price drop.  

How can you be in a suite, but not have a drink package?

I understand you've become accustomed to these being partnered together, but they aren't really connected.  More and more people aren't drinking alcohol these days, and they'd certainly rather have a lower room price + not pay for alcohol they won't drink.  

15 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

So she gets 4 free drinks (soda, bottled water, beer, cocktail) every day.  It's unlikely an expensive drink package will be worthwhile for her, as she can start with those 4 free drinks + pay individually for any others she might want.  

If she's concerned about a big bill at the end of the trip, calculate what she's really likely to drink, and buy her X amount in on board credit.  

If her friend wants the drink package, you could probably call and get an exception on the "everyone in the cabin must buy", given that she is Diamond and will have those 4 free drinks every day.  

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If her friend wants the drink package, you could probably call and get an exception on the "everyone in the cabin must buy", given that she is Diamond and will have those 4 free drinks every day.  

They won’t make an exception just because she is a Diamond. What they will do is allow a modification and allow one person in the cabin to buy the deluxe drink package while the other person has to buy the refreshment package. I know this from first hand experience multiple times and have also read online countless times from others who have done the same thing. You have to call to do this, you can’t do it online or in the app. 

Which ship will they be sailing on?