OBC and dining gifts

dszrew

On the Celebrity website you can buy OBC or dining to give as gifts (for myself). 

I'm assuming the OBC is refundable? Any verification of that? Wanting to prepay gratuities.

For dining, the price is $45. Does that cover the cover charge even if the price is say $60? In the notes it says you will be refunded if the dining is lower than $35 (a $10 loss). $45 is cheaper than even a discounted meal purchased in advance.

Posted (edited)

If you purchase OBC directly, that will be a refundable OBC which will, if not spent in full, be credited back to you. There are also no fees deducted from it. If you have both a cruise line non refundable OBC and your own purchased OBC, the cruise line credit is charged first to make sure it is used up first, and then your refundable OBC is charged second to provide you with a credit if not all is used.

To add, any pre-cruise OBC provided by Celebrity is non-refundable.  However if you make a purchase through the planner and later change your mind or see a better price, you can cancel the purchase up to two days before the cruise and the OBC is reinstated to your stateroom account to be used against other charges.  (Not given to you in cash).

Also, OBC cannot be specified for a purchase.  Whatever you purchase is credited to the OBC at the time the transaction is made.  

Prepaying gratuities is typically done with your credit card.  But if you wait until you are on board as they are charged to your stateroom account daily, any remaining OBC will be applied to them in the manner mentioned.

If the dining is shown as $45, that is the price, and that is what you will pay.  There is no separate cover, or other, charge.  Gratuities will be added to that charge when processed at check out from your cruise planner cart.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Prepaying gratuities is typically done with your credit card.  

I could not find a way to actually charge the gratuities prior to getting on the cruise. Is there a way? That's why I'm looking at the gift purchase as an alternative. 

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If the dining is shown as $45, that is the price, and that is what you will pay.  There is no separate cover, or other, charge.  Gratuities will be added to that charge when processed at check out from your cruise planner cart.

I did see the gift said it was good for one dining, so that does suggest it covers the entire cost. Only good on Solstice or Millenium ships. 

BTW, have an offer from Amex for $150 back if I spend $750. Just paid for the cruise yesterday but the offer popped up today on my card. Trying to find purchases I can make now as anything onboard is excluded.

I've purchased OBC before the cruise to satisfy the Amex offer in the past.  I believe if you use a different card to settle your onboard account onboard any remainder will be credited to that card.  When I did this to be sure I went to guest relations on the last evening and took the remainder in cash (which they will do).   Just make sure it doesn't get credited to your Amex as they may claw back the statement credit.

23 minutes ago, dszrew said:

I could not find a way to actually charge the gratuities prior to getting on the cruise. Is there a way? That's why I'm looking at the gift purchase as an alternative. 

I did see the gift said it was good for one dining, so that does suggest it covers the entire cost. Only good on Solstice or Millenium ships. 

BTW, have an offer from Amex for $150 back if I spend $750. Just paid for the cruise yesterday but the offer popped up today on my card. Trying to find purchases I can make now as anything onboard is excluded.

If you booked directly you should be able pay the gratuities through the planner that would have been created from your reservation number.  If you booked over the phone with a Celebrity rep, or cannot find a way to make the payment on the planner, call Celebrity and ask them to process it for you.  If you booked through a travel agent, they can do it for you.

Not familiar with the gift card terms to which you are referring but it sounds like if there is not a specified amount provided for the dinner, then it will cover the cost of the dinner.  But each specialty restaurant has their own pricing and they are not all the same. I would suspect there is an amount they will provide towards the cost of the dinner, with you paying for the rest.

Also can't help with the Amex question.  The terms and conditions would be set by them and you would have to check with Celebrity to confirm. If it is $150 that can be issued as an OBC, nothing (other than future cruise deposits) would be excluded.

If I use the link to buy OBC for myself as a gift, will it show on my planner ahead of time or is it really "delivered" to the cabin on Day 1?  I bought OBC a few days ago, the AMEX charge has cleared, but I don't see anything in my cruise planner.  Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, jenf22 said:

If I use the link to buy OBC for myself as a gift, will it show on my planner ahead of time or is it really "delivered" to the cabin on Day 1?  I bought OBC a few days ago, the AMEX charge has cleared, but I don't see anything in my cruise planner.  Thanks for the help!

Only OBC (Non Refundable) from Celebrity shows on Cruise Planner.   Any OBCR you buy shows up once onboard.