A curious failure to communicate?

Something that I've noticed is that no matter what is announced, a fairly high percentage of passengers won't have heard the announcements - or read any information that might have been provided. And sadly, that seems to include crew members as well LOL. So I have been in situations where an explanation was given, just not widely distributed.

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to hear announcements - I was just on the Star and the only way to hear anything if you were in your cabin was to open the door - IF you happened to hear that there was an announcement. They did NOT come through on the TV.

I was told that the newer ships would have the ability to turn on announcements in your cabin, so no need to go through the TV. Maybe having a TV channel where you could see/hear the captain's announcements would help - better use of the bandwidth over broadcasting the "not so newlywed" game over and over and over...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

The captain is responsible for the safety and security of the ship and its crew.

The more detailed explanation he gives to the guests why what happens the more satisfied the guests are and the lower the risk of any sort of riot is.

If he just says "we are going to port A instead of port B" without any explanation the rumors will spread and the guests might become angry and the crew are the first to get confronted with these passengers.

There might be situations where the real reason would be too complicated or difficult to explain to the guests.But in the case of OP it was a strike ! Something that every guest can recheck via the internet within 2 minutes.

So why risk to have angry passengers when you easily can avoid it ?

That is quite the theory..."tell me or I might riot". Yet you can't ensure that all of the passengers will believe the reason...no matter what you tell them. Face it, passengers should be told what will happen, but unless there is a verifiable NEED, they don't have to be told "why". "Why" is just a way for the guest to be nosey or try to get a platform from which to "karen".

16 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Something that I've noticed is that no matter what is announced, a fairly high percentage of passengers won't have heard the announcements - or read any information that might have been provided. And sadly, that seems to include crew members as well LOL. So I have been in situations where an explanation was given, just not widely distributed.

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to hear announcements - I was just on the Star and the only way to hear anything if you were in your cabin was to open the door - IF you happened to hear that there was an announcement. They did NOT come through on the TV.

I was told that the newer ships would have the ability to turn on announcements in your cabin, so no need to go through the TV. Maybe having a TV channel where you could see/hear the captain's announcements would help - better use of the bandwidth over broadcasting the "not so newlywed" game over and over and over...

Or there could be a message posted in the app when you log in.  A port strike would be reported in local news, so I don't think a lot of people would be debating that if they were notified

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

That is quite the theory..."tell me or I might riot". Yet you can't ensure that all of the passengers will believe the reason...no matter what you tell them. Face it, passengers should be told what will happen, but unless there is a verifiable NEED, they don't have to be told "why".

Of course i can`t ensure they will believe the reason,but in this case it is easy to find out. 120 seconds of additional information will avoid several hours of trouble at the reception.

Yes, passengers usually don`t NEED to know the reason but it is insanely important for the atmosphere (and indirectly for the safety) on board if they do.

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Or there could be a message posted in the app when you log in.  A port strike would be reported in local news, so I don't think a lot of people would be debating that if they were notified

Of course, the fact that it is still being debated in this very thread would indicate the likelyhood that reality will not align with this opinion.

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

Of course i can`t ensure they will believe the reason,but in this case it is easy to find out. 120 seconds of additional information will avoid several hours of trouble at the reception.

Yes, passengers usually don`t NEED to know the reason but it is insanely important for the atmosphere (and indirectly for the safety) on board if they do.

Just think it through...so easy to find out, then why not just do that and skip the "why, why, why" and the trips to guest services? Why would there be any "trouble" at guest services unless it was from people who a) didn't believe the reason, and./or b) wanted to argue over it?

Trust that those who need to know, will know, and those who need to know "why" will know "why". If you haven't been informed, than there is a good reason for that...whether you agree with it or not.

You might as well ask "why" the numbers in roulette are RED and BLACK and not, for example, ORANGE and BLACK. 

• Haha 1