Recommendations for travel insurance?

Janie1229

Looking for recommendations on travel insurance with good primary medical coverage and adequate trip delay/interruption. I purchased insurance with IMG Travel SE and now still waiting after 30 days for a claim I submitted for hotel cost when our outgoing flight was cancelled. 

Has anyone purchased travel insurance and had good luck with filing a claim, quickly and painlessly? Many of these policies seem great and unless you actually file a claim, you really don't know how "good" they are to work with. I may be reimbursed by this trip insurance, but still waiting after 30 days. Maybe that's normal, I don't know....

@Janie1229 you would be best to ask this question in the Travel Insurance forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Here there are discussions about successful claims, and advice on insurance to purchase for each need.

Note that you have to look at where the CC member is from as insurance has different rules and purchase conditions based on the country.  For instance, with me from Canada, we have different insurance rules and types available than you do in the USA.

Just as a note on waiting to be reimbursed, have you checked with the insurance company to ensure that they have everything that they need?

6 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Looking for recommendations on travel insurance with good primary medical coverage and adequate trip delay/interruption. I purchased insurance with IMG Travel SE and now still waiting after 30 days for a claim I submitted for hotel cost when our outgoing flight was cancelled. 

Has anyone purchased travel insurance and had good luck with filing a claim, quickly and painlessly? Many of these policies seem great and unless you actually file a claim, you really don't know how "good" they are to work with. I may be reimbursed by this trip insurance, but still waiting after 30 days. Maybe that's normal, I don't know....

Call tripinsurancestore.com. Owner Steve Dasseos is truly a guru of trip insurance.  They handle several different policies including img and give great advice. Difference is they will intervene on your behalf if you are getting an inappropriate runaround when you file a claim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

@Janie1229 you would be best to ask this question in the Travel Insurance forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Here there are discussions about successful claims, and advice on insurance to purchase for each need.

Note that you have to look at where the CC member is from as insurance has different rules and purchase conditions based on the country.  For instance, with me from Canada, we have different insurance rules and types available than you do in the USA.

Just as a note on waiting to be reimbursed, have you checked with the insurance company to ensure that they have everything that they need?

Yes I did call and they just said they received my claim and are still reviewing.

2 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Yes I did call and they just said they received my claim and are still reviewing.

Some of these things just need a bit of patience.  

I have done a couple of claims and one took a couple/few weeks to come back and ask for more, and the other was 5 weeks with no contact and I found a cheque in the mail.

17 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Why do some but not all insurance companies seem just a little coy about paying out, that’s what they are in business for, isn’t it?

I agree. I called just to ensure they had everything they needed. I submitted documentation of the airline cancelation notification, and the hotel receipt. Initially they said well it's not a trip "delay" since American put us on a flight the evening before we were to leave (originally scheduled for an early morning flight) - so they said you left EARLIER than you needed to. Exactly. And because of the change in flight, we had to pay for a hotel room in Dallas that was not part of our original travel plans.

Then they said well maybe you can enter it as trip "interruption". We'll see. 

This is why I asked if anyone had trip insurance where they actually had to use it - and did not encounter any pushback or issue and were paid timely without hassle. 

Trip "interruption" and trip cancellation are different although generally sold together.

Some of these situations are down to language of the policy.  It is - IMO - an insurance companies desire to not pay, so you have to be sure that you not only understand the policy language which can sometimes be vague, and then have all your details and backup right.

Many people on CC have had to use trip cancellation / interruption insurance, including myself, and there are many different results.  Some good, some not so good.

Every situation is different.

18 hours ago, edgee said:

Call tripinsurancestore.com. Owner Steve Dasseos is truly a guru of trip insurance.  They handle several different policies including img and give great advice. Difference is they will intervene on your behalf if you are getting an inappropriate runaround when you file a claim.

Thank you. I'm going to call today. I'm also looking at GeoBlue, wonder if that would be a good option to purchase that just for the medical coverage and then look at other trip ins for the trip interruption/delay aspect and not be concerned with a high medical coverage.

9 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you. I'm going to call today. I'm also looking at GeoBlue, wonder if that would be a good option to purchase that just for the medical coverage and then look at other trip ins for the trip interruption/delay aspect and not be concerned with a high medical coverage.

I recall only seeing options for comprehensive (that includes medical) or medical coverage when I have shopped for individual trip plans, so don’t know whether non medical coverage is available. Definitely worth a call to Trip Insurance Store.

7 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I recall only seeing options for comprehensive (that includes medical) or medical coverage when I have shopped for individual trip plans, so don’t know whether non medical coverage is available. Definitely worth a call to Trip Insurance Store.

I called Trip Insurance Store and talked to Kim today, She recommended the Travel Guard Flex and it's not too expensive, and has $100k medical coverage, $500k evacuation, and decent trip cancelation, interruption, delays, etc. so we may go with that. I did talk to Viking again, and while it is tempting to use their TravelMate, it does not cover air if you did not book air with them, so that's out. THe rep said oh you can get coverage on the airline site for maybe $80. NOPE! More like 250-300. So we won't go with Viking probably. 

Yes I confirmed my invoice is for the stateroom ONLY. No air. No TravelMate. No pre/post excursions. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Yes I confirmed my invoice is for the stateroom ONLY. No air. No TravelMate. No pre/post excursions. 

Good!  No surprises later!

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

I did talk to Viking again, and while it is tempting to use their TravelMate, it does not cover air if you did not book air with them, so that's out. THe rep said oh you can get coverage on the airline site for maybe $80. NOPE! More like 250-300. So we won't go with Viking probably. 

So a cautionary note on the air and insurance.

Air can have so many conditions and rules, but most that you buy today can have a cancelation fee of say $200 pp and you get the rest back, or the airline may issue a credit to you to use within a certain time frame, where you will have a change fee and a change in fare.

Be careful adding the air into your total trip cost for insurance.  Your insurance premium is calculated on the total cost of your trip, so for instance:

Trip with Air - Insurance is $500pp (numbers not real, only for example)

Trip without Air - Insurance is $350pp

If the air you booked is refundable, or a credit will be given, the insurance will not pay against that so you should not include that cost in your trip cost or you are paying more for the insurance than you need to.  Insurance only pays against Non-Refundable Costs.

Make sense?

Edited by CDNPolar