taking buffet food out of buffet restaurant

23 minutes ago, Asawi said:

I completely get this! I don't have any food sensitivities, except I can feel very bad in different ways =(for example migraine) if I don't get something to eat in a long time. So I always keep a protein bar (or two) in my day backpack. That bar can be there for several trips because I prefer getting something "fresh" and it's very rare that I can't find anything unless out hiking. But just knowing it's there makes me feel "safe". My bars are not from the buffet though... 

The food we bring isn’t either, but I’ve definitely taken food from the buffet back to the cabin, I like to snack on the balcony. I just bring the plate back.

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

Another thought - you would go to Italy and NOT try a pizza or gelato? I shudder to imagine...

Honestly, I've had both and it's no big deal for me! The locally made ice-cream and artisan pizza in my nearby city are just as good. Pricey, but good. The bus ticket to go there is cheap though. 😄 
Having said that, I do like to get my food/snacks ashore if possible. Even if it's something boring like a Snickers. 😄 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

If it meant that I wouldn’t have time to see the Vatican or the Colosseum, etc…yes

Mea culpa - we all need to use our time according to what we feel is the best utilization.  Sometimes I don't think that what is a common experience for me is a once in a lifetime for others. I do bring protein bars for days with long tours in case i dont want to stop to eat. But i bring my own from home. Its not often that the food police are active, but i remember a day in St Petersburg where several people were held all day and fined for bringing food from the ship. They missed hundreds of dollars worth of private guided tours and paid a hefty fine. Certainly not common but it does happen. Please consider bringing some sealed protein bars from home for your snacks in port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Honestly, I've had both and it's no big deal for me! 

This made me laugh. The worst pizza i ever had was in Naples. The best was in Amalfi. I admit to being more of a quick-food tourist than foodie

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

Another thought - you would go to Italy and NOT try a pizza or gelato? I shudder to imagine...

Not to start a war BUT in 3 trips to Italy I have found the pizza in NYC better than any I had in Italy.  Nobody was more surprised than me.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, Rib Jig said:

not true West Caribbean ports;

none blocked "mini" boxes granola cereals...

And that's not a problem. Fruits, meets, cheeses are a big no no.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Interesting how so many on here are so concerned with how others choose to spend their time and money on their vacations. If you want to go and sit in a restaurant and dine, fine. Meanwhile I will be doing what I want, which most likely isn’t that.

I think you are confusing concern, with simple interest. I'm not concerned in the least what others do. But, I am interested in their thought process.

As someone else pointed out, if you miss the food, you miss the culture. I just can't wrap my head around that way of thinking. Is your time so precious that you can't take a few minutes to hit up a street stand? Really?

On 6/18/2024 at 11:21 AM, Rib Jig said:

Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona B2B rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape;

I've been cruising the Mediterranean the past week, and like your plans, entirely within the European union on NCL. Not once have any of the port security (what little there was) scanned, looked at, asked any questions about what's in our bags, pockets or otherwise when leaving the ship.  Remember, this is all within the European union, for the folks in the US, that's like going between states. The only place any bag scanning has taken place was when entering the ship, and that was entirely by NCL, not the port.  The port security just wanted to see that we had the NCL room key cards when going back to the ship, just a quick glance, not checking any details, just making sure we seemed to belong on the ship.  

Just my experience.

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

As someone else pointed out, if you miss the food, you miss the culture. I just can't wrap my head around that way of thinking. Is your time so precious that you can't take a few minutes to hit up a street stand? Really?

Are street stands what you consider to be good examples of experiencing culture in the first place? I guess if you are in SE Asia or Mexico then maybe.

But like French cuisine? That’s a couple hours easy. Or a proper Italian dinner? 

Cruise ports are what? Maybe ten hours on average? I try to eat a full breakfast then usually skip lunch when ashore, then eat dinner back on the ship. That way I can maximize my time for an excursion, souvenir shopping and maybe a quick snack.

10 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Are street stands what you consider to be good examples of experiencing culture in the first place? I guess if you are in SE Asia or Mexico then maybe.

But like French cuisine? That’s a couple hours easy. Or a proper Italian dinner? 

We aren't on the same page, or even speaking the same language here. Street stands, absolutely, in any country! Ever been to a Christmas market in Europe? Walked the streets of Amsterdam and sat for some quick pannekoeken or poffertjes? 

A two-hour meal in France, or a "proper" Italian dinner? No need for that. How about coffee and croissants or a quick dish of cacio e pepe?

You are making eating in port way too difficult.

• Like 4

One of my favorite things to do when traveling outside the US is to visit the local drugstore…the ones that sell more than drugs (legally)🤣.  

I’m intrigued by the different chips, candy, juices, beauty products, etc.  Silly as it may be, the different candy is often the souvenir we bring home for the grands.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

One of my favorite things to do when traveling outside the US is to visit the local drugstore…the ones that sell more than drugs (legally)🤣.  

I’m intrigued by the different chips, candy, juices, beauty products, etc.  Silly as it may be, the different candy is often the souvenir we bring home for the grands.  

Not silly at all.  I try to remember to pick up some OTC meds that are sold at higher strengths in Europe than they are in the US, like better cortisone and arthritis creams. I find supermarkets in some other countries can be interesting too.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

By generally not eating at all? If anything I am making it too easy!

You sound quite judgmental.

Again, you confuse words. Judgmental? That's laughable on its face. Interested? Absolutely.

You make it easy by simply saying that trying anything is too hard.

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Not silly at all. My bag right now is fully of candy and crisps from the UK, that I bought at the pharmacy in Bermuda. 

• Like 4

On 6/18/2024 at 5:42 PM, bluefish17 said:

You should plan on at least stopping once or twice to buy a coffee or a sandwich, otherwise you will have no place to go to the bathroom. Europe is not like the US with lots of public restrooms. And you can't use the ones in cafes or restaurants unless you buy something. Or you could bring Depends.

In Paris I would dig a  receipt out of the trash for the restroom door code.  Sounds bad, but hey, when the wife's gotta pee she's gotta pee!

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2024 at 6:36 PM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Cruise ports are what? Maybe ten hours on average? I try to eat a full breakfast then usually skip lunch when ashore, then eat dinner back on the ship. That way I can maximize my time for an excursion, souvenir shopping and maybe a quick snack.

Well, clearly you won't have a "proper Italian dinner" during a daytime excursion.  

But, I personally would miss out on souvenir shopping, and even a bit of sightseeing, to have a local lunch/snack.  I've been all over the world; Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Italy, France, Greece, etc.  I truly find the food in other countries to be part of the sightseeing experience itself. 

We had pad thai in a river market in Thailand, Matcha ice cream in japan, Kangaroo in Australia, etc. 

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Well, clearly you won't have a "proper Italian dinner" during a daytime excursion.  

But, I personally would miss out on souvenir shopping, and even a bit of sightseeing, to have a local lunch/snack.  I've been all over the world; Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Italy, France, Greece, etc.  I truly find the food in other countries to be part of the sightseeing experience itself. 

We had pad thai in a river market in Thailand, Matcha ice cream in japan, Kangaroo in Australia, etc. 

I’ve been to 30+ countries (some more than once), so I’m hardly some novice traveler. Obviously on “land based” vacations, I take the time to dine at local eateries and try the regional specialties.

But this is a cruise forum, and I was referring to how I typically spend my limited time in ports. 

14 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I’ve been to 30+ countries (some more than once), so I’m hardly some novice traveler. Obviously on “land based” vacations, I take the time to dine at local eateries and try the regional specialties.

But this is a cruise forum, and I was referring to how I typically spend my limited time in ports. 

many of those wonderful meals have occurred while in a port stop on a cruise. 

Everyone can spend their port time how they like. But you can absolutely have a local meal in the confines of a port stop. For me it's quality over quantity.  I'd rather stop at 1-2 places in a port and take my time than be running all over seeing several places. 

Edited by sanger727