taking buffet food out of buffet restaurant

Posted (edited)

Someone mentioned earlier that the subject line for this thread doesn’t align with the question posted below it (I’m paraphrasing). 

For those looking for a succinct answer: 

1.      Yes, you can take food out of the buffet to anywhere you want to go on the ship.

2.      No, you can’t take that food, with very few exceptions, off the ship. NCL clearly states that in their Dailies for each port. 

FWIW, we often carry pre-packaged protein bars (not from the buffet) off the ship in case “Hangry” happens.

Edited by cruiser1961
  • Like 2

WASHY WASHY EVERYONE

home from Escape B2B Mediterranean 10+11 nights

taking food out of Garden Cafe to cabin officially allowed

taking food out of specialty restaurants to cabin not officially allowed

WASHY WASHY

• Like 1

One would think if your going to Italy you would want to try there amazing food. There kind of known for it.

It would suck if I had to eat cereal or a ham sandwich traveling all the way to Rome.

That is like taking your 10 year old to Disney world taking a picture and not going into the park.

Have never understood the fasciation with taking food from the ship, carrying around with you, and then eating the nasty skanky food hours later in port - aside from being illegal in many countries

I get people don't want to take the time for a long meal, but there are plenty of snacks and street food everywhere.

Italy - Suppli, pastries, paninis, etc. France - Baguette, croissants, crepes, etc.

Greece - Gyros, spanakopita, etc.

Even if you just want chips/crisps, cookies, etc. - those are readily available to purchase as you walk around.

Almost as crazy to me as seeing people from the US in Italy, Greece, etc. lined up at Starbucks, McDonalds, Hard Rock, etc. to eat the same crap they could eat at home.

1 hour ago, drew69 said:

Have never understood the fasciation with taking food from the ship, carrying around with you, and then eating the nasty skanky food hours later in port - aside from being illegal in many countries

I get people don't want to take the time for a long meal, but there are plenty of snacks and street food everywhere.

Italy - Suppli, pastries, paninis, etc. France - Baguette, croissants, crepes, etc.

Greece - Gyros, spanakopita, etc.

Even if you just want chips/crisps, cookies, etc. - those are readily available to purchase as you walk around.

Almost as crazy to me as seeing people from the US in Italy, Greece, etc. lined up at Starbucks, McDonalds, Hard Rock, etc. to eat the same crap they could eat at home.

1. You left out gelato in Italy.

2. My DW went into a McDonalds in Paris because she wanted decaf coffee. But she was told "only normal". 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, drew69 said:

There have been several threads/posts about making sandwhiches to carry ashore specifically to avoid the expense of buying meals/food off the ship.  One lady in particular asked 'why her family should have to spend money to buy food ashore when they could just take some food from the buffet.

4 hours ago, detroitlions said:

One would think if your going to Italy you would want to try there amazing food. There kind of known for it.

It would suck if I had to eat cereal or a ham sandwich traveling all the way to Rome.

That is like taking your 10 year old to Disney world taking a picture and not going into the park.

I don’t agree with that analogy. You can go to Rome and experience a ton of culture without eating anything. I’d argue that visiting the Colosseum or the Vatican is more of an Italian experience than eating a piece of pizza.

Are you going to remember a plate of spaghetti the same way you’d remember seeing the ceiling of the Sistine chapel? I wouldn’t.

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There have been several threads/posts about making sandwhiches to carry ashore specifically to avoid the expense of buying meals/food off the ship.  One lady in particular asked 'why her family should have to spend money to buy food ashore when they could just take some food from the buffet.

Someone that cheap should just stay home!

1 minute ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I don’t agree with that analogy. You can go to Rome and experience a ton of culture without eating anything. I’d argue that visiting the Colosseum or the Vatican is more of an Italian experience than eating a piece of pizza.

Are you going to remember a plate of spaghetti the same way you’d remember seeing the ceiling of the Sistine chapel? I wouldn’t.

I would agree, you can skip eating and still enjoy Rome, but I certainly would not eat crap I carried all day from the ship

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, drew69 said:

I would agree, you can skip eating and still enjoy Rome, but I certainly would not eat crap I carried all day from the ship

I agree, and obviously you should try local food if you can.

I can’t really remember what I ate during several days in Venice, but I definitely remember the gondolas.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

And when they are caught and have to pay a fine, it will cost them more than if they bought food while ashore.

• Like 1

I think some of this may depend on where you live.  I can get virtually any kind of really good ethnic cuisine in New York City.  (Frankly, the pizza here is much better than I've had in Rome and I like the American version of Carbonara better, but that's one's just personal choice.)  However, sampling the local cuisine would be a much higher priority if I moved to a rural area that was short on good and varied ethnic restaurants. 

• Like 1

Have to add to my post above that I ALWAYS make it a point to drink the local wine because frequently they have very nice wine that is not exported or, if it is exported, it has been "molested" by our FDA so as to be unrecognizable.  Why does the FDA imagine that wine needs to have preservatives added?  Hello!  It's WINE - it is alcoholic and carries no germs. 

16 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I disagree I would see all the attractions and eat the local food. Its a big part of my trip. And it would not be pizza LOL

8 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I disagree I would see all the attractions and eat the local food. Its a big part of my trip. And it would not be pizza LOL

IF there is time, sure. You will not have enough time on a shore excursion to see “all the attractions” and eat the local food in Rome (and many other places).

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

IF there is time, sure. You will not have enough time on a shore excursion to see “all the attractions” and eat the local food in Rome (and many other places).

Rushing though all the major sites to say you been there is not enjoyable to me.

• Thanks 1

During Escape B2B

I ate Italian in Italy.

I ate Italian on ship.

The best tasting sauce of all was

a requested non-spicy version of

Shrimp and Linguine Fra Diavolo

in Mia Cucina restaurant on ship ironically...

18 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I’d argue that visiting the Colosseum or the Vatican is more of an Italian experience than eating a piece of pizza.

I bet Italians would argue the opposite.

Posted (edited)

To each their own how they want to spend their time ashore. But don't use time as an excuse to take food off the ship! If you are happy with what you could take off the ship, legally or not, I am confident you wouldn't have to waste a lot of minutes to get a snack in port. Kiosk, food truck, cafe... Especially around the popular sites there is usually plenty available. With the added bonus that you are not adding to cruise passengers reputation of "invading" cities and not spending any money off ship.

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Asawi said:

...to take food off the ship

agriculture notice sign posted at top of Escape
exit ramp every port specifically stated:

"prohibited to take ashore,plants seeds soil,

fresh food items meats fruits vegetables dairy products"

• Like 1

I have some dietary allergies so I tend to bring some 'safe' food with me.  As long as it is commercially packaged, I've never had an issue.  Same goes for bringing new foods I found back onto the ship, as long as they are commercially packaged (and aren't alcohol) I've never had an issue.