Luggage Tag Question

Once we had a lot of things stolen by the TSA at the Miami airport. We did not know that until after we had gotten home by San Francisco.

Not reimbursed even after months of communications with different TSA offices.

Finally we were contacted by someone in Washington DC. He sympathized with us but could do nothing but give some advice.

Do NOT check your bags in the areas outside of the main airport building....which we had done. He said that goes through a different area with more opportunity for theft.

And NEVER have a cruise tag on the bag whether coming or going to a cruise. He said that alerts people to the fact you might have nicer things packed for the trip there or nice souvenirs on the way back.

I had asked to have the cameras at the baggage area to be checked but they said that thousands of bags go through each day & they are only checked for national security.

I had bought a lot of miniature perfumes. They actually took the bottles & left the boxes....I guess better to fit in their pockets !.

I said I would send the boxes to have finger printed & they say they wear gloves  !    .....you cannot win, just be cautious !

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So you pack packing tape to do this at the hotel? Reusable holders seem much more practical.

Once our stapled & strong packing tape attached paper ship’s luggage tags were nearly torn off between the porters & our cabin after driving to the port. After that experience we decided that for a few dollars the reusable plastic tag holders are cheap insurance that our bags will arrive at our cabin. 🙂

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

A concern is that it is possible that the Cruise line tags might interfere with the scanners used to handle checked bags by blocking the bar codes that the automated airline baggage handling systems use to route the bags to the correct plane. Or the handlers may remove them to prevent such a problem. I would wait until you reach the destination airport.

• Like 2

We simply write our ship/cruise details on 2 pieces of tape with a Sharpie marker.  One near the handle and one on the side.  Also put contact info inside the case.

We do not bother with tags from cruiseline.  Check them at the pier.   Have had cases show up a couple days into a cruise.  Never permanently lost.

Agree putting ships tag on your bag is a good way to have either theft or confusion at the destination airport. 

I have NOT read any of the responses, but this is what I do. I know Princess prefers that we put the tag on the luggage after flying in, but I don't. What I do is: I fold as instructed, scotch tape, and also staple, and NEVER have I lost a tag on my luggage. Now I do NOT put it on the luggage end handle, where they pick it up, which is normally at the end of the luggage, but always put my tag on the side.