Getaway - Piraeus to Athens Airport transfer question

Hi Everyone,

I could use your help on recommendations on how to best get to Athens airport after our Getaway cruise ends on September 1st. We're due to arrive at 7:00am in Pireaus and we have a 12:30pm flight on Air France departing Athens Airport. I know it was cutting it close (I got out voted) but I would love to hear your advice on how to arrive fastest with my sanity intact.

1 - NCL transfer service

2 - WelcomePickups service

3 - General Taxi

Facts: I'm ok with paying extra to arrive quickly (no need to suggest public transport options), that is my priority vs costs. We are 4 adults with the accompanying baggage. 4 boats are expected to debark on September 1st but the Getaway is the only large ship, the other 3 being 1000, 600 and 200 pax.

My Questions:

• Which option have you been successful in getting to the airport quickest/smoothest within the time constraints I have?
  • How does the NCL transfer service work? Am I waiting for the bus to fill up before they leave or does it operate on a scheduled time of departure I can count on? Do you use self-disembarkation with this service or do they call you via a specific process/time? What type of time frame could we expect as far as arrival at the airport?
  • I know this is subject to conditions, but what average times have you been able to disembark the ship via self-disembark? If it docks at 7:00am, could I expect(hope) to be off the boat by 8:30am or 9:00am? Earlier? Later?
  • If WelcomePickups is the option, would a 9:00am scheduled pickup be safe? That could mean we could arrive at the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 depending on traffic. Is that a reasonable timeline? Is WelcomePickups pickup easier/quicker/smoother than a taxi?
  • Is taking a general taxi a nightmare with everyone leaving the pier at the same time? 
  • What is the Athens check-in process like for a Europe based international flight? Is that Schengen? Does that work different?

I don't mean to be needy with the 100 questions (ok 15) but as you can tell I might be a little OCD. Thank you very much! -Kevin

You are not going to get 4 people and bags in a taxi.

You have no control over when the NCL bus leaves.

I would book a van with a car service, self-disembark carrying your own bags and have the car service meet you at 8.

Should be about 40-60 minutes to the airport depending on traffic.

time needed to checkin at the airport and get through security is dependent on crowds, # of agents working, and whether you are business class and get priority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kvnfla11 said:

Hi Everyone,

I could use your help on recommendations on how to best get to Athens airport after our Getaway cruise ends on September 1st. We're due to arrive at 7:00am in Pireaus and we have a 12:30pm flight on Air France departing Athens Airport. I know it was cutting it close (I got out voted) but I would love to hear your advice on how to arrive fastest with my sanity intact.

1 - NCL transfer service

3 - General Taxi

Facts: I'm ok with paying extra to arrive quickly (no need to suggest public transport options), that is my priority vs costs. We are 4 adults with the accompanying baggage. 4 boats are expected to debark on September 1st but the Getaway is the only large ship, the other 3 being 1000, 600 and 200 pax.

My Questions:

• Which option have you been successful in getting to the airport quickest/smoothest within the time constraints I have?
  • How does the NCL transfer service work? Am I waiting for the bus to fill up before they leave or does it operate on a scheduled time of departure I can count on? Do you use self-disembarkation with this service or do they call you via a specific process/time? What type of time frame could we expect as far as arrival at the airport?
  • I know this is subject to conditions, but what average times have you been able to disembark the ship via self-disembark? If it docks at 7:00am, could I expect(hope) to be off the boat by 8:30am or 9:00am? Earlier? Later?
  • If WelcomePickups is the option, would a 9:00am scheduled pickup be safe? That could mean we could arrive at the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 depending on traffic. Is that a reasonable timeline? Is WelcomePickups pickup easier/quicker/smoother than a taxi?
  • Is taking a general taxi a nightmare with everyone leaving the pier at the same time? 
  • What is the Athens check-in process like for a Europe based international flight? Is that Schengen? Does that work different?

I don't mean to be needy with the 100 questions (ok 15) but as you can tell I might be a little OCD. Thank you very much! -Kevin

You need to change your flight 

3 hours ago, drew69 said:

I would book a van with a car service, self-disembark carrying your own bags and have the car service meet you at 8.

time needed to checkin at the airport and get through security is dependent on crowds, # of agents working, and whether you are business class and get priority.

Thank you for your ideas

I've only been in Piraeus a couple of times; I just can't remember whether there were typically large van taxis around or not. If it were me, I would pre-book a car service (for a larger vehicle) to meet you at 9am and do self-debark.  If you are ahead of the crowds waiting for their luggage, you should be through customs/immigration fairly quickly.  If you are 20 minutes late, just tip your driver a bit extra. 

In general, I'd say Greece is a little more formal about security than some places, but not extremely so.  They are closer to various problem corners of the world, but the cruise passenger routine is pretty well worked out.  Politeness is always appreciated.

5 hours ago, drew69 said:

This is excellent advice. There were 6 of us, lots of luggage and our van met us around 8 (we did not self disembark). Some of the airlines have priority check in you can purchase and we all did (headed to Milan). Made it easily with time to spare.

8 hours ago, Kvnfla11 said:

•  

If the stated arrival time is 7am then you will be able to get off the ship at about 7am using self disembark.

Are you spending any time in Athens ahead of the cruise?  Agree with the best suggestion being to book a van/transit service.  I ask if you'll be in town before as in the past we have arranged this with someone who also served as our driver while in Athens (and as such, then we also get their direct mobile AND discuss our specific pick up needs right at the port when they drop us off there).

We are on your cruise.   American airlines moved our flight home on the 10th from 5:00 pm to 11:00 am, so we decided to spend another night and leave the following day at 11:00 am. .   If they had moved to 12:30 like yours I think I would have kept Sept 10 departure.   I would think you can make that.

Note that Uber was not allowed in Greece up until a while ago.  Now Uber has a pickup spot at the airport.   There are some special rules.... perhaps only official taxi's can use uber app but not private cars... I am not sure about this I am not an expert .  However the advantage of using the Uber app for a taxi is the price is set and paid through the app, avoiding the haggling with the taxi driver.    Our plan is to use uber app.

Good luck, we are looking forward to the trip!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CCJack said:

We are on your cruise.   American airlines moved our flight home on the 10th from 5:00 pm to 11:00 am, so we decided to spend another night and leave the following day at 11:00 am. .   If they had moved to 12:30 like yours I think I would have kept Sept 10 departure.   I would think you can make that.

Note that Uber was not allowed in Greece up until a while ago.  Now Uber has a pickup spot at the airport.   There are some special rules.... perhaps only official taxi's can use uber app but not private cars... I am not sure about this I am not an expert .  However the advantage of using the Uber app for a taxi is the price is set and paid through the app, avoiding the haggling with the taxi driver.    Our plan is to use uber app.

Good luck, we are looking forward to the trip!

Have a look at the Welcome pickups app.

They give you the price up front also.

The driver monitors the arrival ship/plane and in the case of the airport, he waits in the arrival hall with your name held up.

Very curious drivers who also insist on helping with luggage.

Great service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redlock said:

The driver monitors the arrival ship/plane and in the case of the airport, he waits in the arrival hall with your name held up.

Great service.

Good suggestion, thanks.  

actually, (and my wife does this whenever we travel abroad) you can google a shuttle service, and arrange transportation directly from the pier to the airport, and choose whichever type of vehicle you need. there are usually taxis available at the pier, and some are larger  than  others, so you can pick the one that best serves your needs.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:49 PM, curmudgeon98 said:

I've only been in Piraeus a couple of times; I just can't remember whether there were typically large van taxis around or not. If it were me, I would pre-book a car service (for a larger vehicle) to meet you at 9am and do self-debark.  If you are ahead of the crowds waiting for their luggage, you should be through customs/immigration fairly quickly.  If you are 20 minutes late, just tip your driver a bit extra. 

In general, I'd say Greece is a little more formal about security than some places, but not extremely so.  They are closer to various problem corners of the world, but the cruise passenger routine is pretty well worked out.  Politeness is always appreciated.

Thank you for your advice on the car servce.

On 6/19/2024 at 1:00 AM, KeithJenner said:

If the stated arrival time is 7am then you will be able to get off the ship at about 7am using self disembark.

We'll be following the self-disembark advice and scheduling a car service pickup at 8am. We're using welcome pickups when we arrive in Athens to take us to our hotel, we'll speak to that driver about possibly picking us up after the cruise if they're available.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:58 AM, ocdb8r said:

Are you spending any time in Athens ahead of the cruise?  Agree with the best suggestion being to book a van/transit service.  I ask if you'll be in town before as in the past we have arranged this with someone who also served as our driver while in Athens (and as such, then we also get their direct mobile AND discuss our specific pick up needs right at the port when they drop us off there).

Yes, we're arriving on the previous Thursday to spend a few days before getting onto the cruise Sunday morning. we'll try to speak to our driver during those days to pick us up after the cruise. Getting their direct number is great advice. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 12:09 PM, complawyer said:

actually, (and my wife does this whenever we travel abroad) you can google a shuttle service, and arrange transportation directly from the pier to the airport, and choose whichever type of vehicle you need. there are usually taxis available at the pier, and some are larger  than  others, so you can pick the one that best serves your needs.

Thank you

On 6/19/2024 at 11:37 AM, redlock said:

Great service.

Thank you Redlock. We'll be using welcomepickups when we first arrive in Athens to take us from the airport to our hotel. We'll most likely use them for getting to the airport after the cruise as we can arrange the larger van.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 1:34 PM, Kvnfla11 said:

Hi Everyone,

1 - NCL transfer service

3 - General Taxi

My Questions:

I did an NCL transfer out of Southampton (1-5 - 2 hrs from LHR) for an 1150 am flight that they booked me on. I got a reservation on the first bus & made it with plenty of time through LHR.