NCL Star - Balcony Cabin - Clothes Storage

We are staying in a balcony on the Star, and I am wondering about clothes storage. It is a 14-day cruise leaving out of NYC in mid-July one way to Iceland.  With that said we are going to have to pack an array of clothes.   Besides the hangers in the closet, I see 3 small drawers in desk/vanity and 4 shelves reachable from INSIDE the closet.  Reaching inside the closet past our shoes and hanging clothes doesn’t seem efficient when I want to find a t-shirt or pair of jeans on those shelves.  Anyone have advice, for example would those cheap collapsible fabric storage cube work to put in the shelves that I could them pull out, find what I needed, then put back on the shelf?

Is there a drawer under the couch used to shore linens that maybe I could repurpose?

We use packing cubes and those could be used on the shelves.   You can double or triple hang items on the horrible NCL wooden hangers. If you are checking luggage it is easy to fit in a few of those very thin space saving hangars.  I keep some clothes in my suitcase under the bed, works same as drawer but a little less convenient.  In this case suitcase is generic word covering various types of clothing enclosures 🙂

Biggest hint, take less clothes.  After our recent 16 day Honolulu to Vancouver BC cruise on the Spirit I realized that although I tried to pack more minimally I failed.  There were several things we took and never wore.   At home we do not wash pants or shirts until we've worn them at least a couple times and there is no reason to do so onboard ship.   Easy enough to wash undergarments in the sink and hang in the shower overnight to dry so you don't need to pack one for each day.

NCL always has a "stuff the bag" laundry promotion that is reasonably priced.

We had a balcony cabin on the Star last year, and the cruise was sailing in "Arctic waters", so had to bring quite a variety of clothing. Had absolutely no problem reaching the clothing that we stored on the shelves inside the closet, even though we had lots of clothing on hangers as well.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t recall seeing a drawer under beds, that’s where we keep suitcases. If linens are there where would you put them?

Thanks but I was specially asking about under the small couch (not the bed).  I agree that is where we store our suitcases for dirty clothes but it may also need to store clean clothes.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I think OP is way over thinking this non existent issue. 

Maybe and hopefully, but telling me there is no problem doesn't help me.  To me packing and organization are something I give more thought to than comparing beer to other liquors.  Nothing wrong with either priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 2:28 PM, zqvol said:

I think OP is way over thinking this non existent issue. 

I get it that we are on a board and it is anonymous, but don't be rude! Maybe you're fortunate enough to be able to live life worry free, but some of us need to plan ahead so that we can relax once we get onboard. Everyone is different, so we have different ways of preparing for our next adventure in life. I have no idea how OP does it. I research it over and over for weeks, and sometimes my questions may seem obvious to others, but they are a legitimate concern to me!

If you don't like the question, feel free to move to the next posting. Next time keep your rudeness to yourself!

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, lisa928 said:

Thanks but I was specially asking about under the small couch (not the bed).  I agree that is where we store our suitcases for dirty clothes but it may also need to store clean clothes.

I do not think that there is storage under the couch on Star. The bigger Breakaway and Breakaway plus class ships have drawers under the couch. I like to bring a couple of collapsible fabric storage cubes to put smaller items away. I use the cheap ones from the Dollar Tree. I like them because they are light and do not take up much space in my suitcase. Reaching the items on the shelf is easier that it seems. We have sailed on Dawn which is a sister ship to Star and it had the same shelves. Not ideal, but not bad. You can also ask your room steward for extra hangers. I have done that before, and received several white plastic hangers to use in addition to the wooden ones that are already there. I also double up items on the hangers. 

• Thanks 1

If you don’t hang a lot of your clothing then I’d recommend looking at the “hanging travel shelves” my friend uses one and swears by it. She’s unpacked in seconds and hers compresses nicely in her suitcase. You can also consider keeping all your cool weather clothing in the back of shelves till your ready to switch warm for cool. I’ll put bulkier items in the back of shelves and smaller items in the front, example my hiking boots in the back and my flipflops in the front since it’s easier to reach over and grab the bulky items. Same principle goes for bulky sweaters vs tshirts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1