Explora 2 Inaugural Canceled due to shipyard delays

7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

It seems the planned inaugural for Explora 2 has been cancelled due to shipyard delays according to a post on another social media platform 

IMG_2116.thumb.jpeg.7e90ce8bee7c64a9f66ba89dd81f8bdb.jpeg

How can that be?  They just competed their sea trials. Read this:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/13464-explora-ii-successfully-completes-sea-trials

6 minutes ago, LkGcruiser said:

How can that be?  They just competed their sea trials. Read this:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/13464-explora-ii-successfully-completes-sea-trials

So she “floats” - but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s ready to take passengers 

Unless the person who posted the message from Explora has faked it then it’s clear she won’t be doing the planned inaugural

• Like 2

I hope they look after affected guests (as opposed to hangers on and influencers) better than they did with their even later cancellation of Explora 1 last year

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

So she “floats” - but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s ready to take passengers 

Unless the person who posted the message from Explora has faked it then it’s clear she won’t be doing the planned inaugural

Yup, could be delayed for many different reasons that have nothing to do with sea worthiness. Then again could be rumors. 

37 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sadly these postponements see to the happening to all the lines/new ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy cruzin said:

Sadly these postponements see to the happening to all the lines/new ships.

Not for Silversea.  Ray was finished on time. Depends on the shipyard.  

Sea Trials only first step.  Only means mechanicals work.  

• Like 1

Usually more than one sea trial and each one produces a punch list of jobs needing completion or changes.  Cruise lines are usually too optimistic on selling their wares.

13 minutes ago, PrivateIdaho said:

And that is why you don’t book inaugural cruises. See you in Dec EJll.

The inaugural was originally late June but was pushed back once before.  You would have thought guests on 2nd September would have been clear of problems

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JanR said:
On 6/19/2024 at 10:19 AM, PaulMCO said:

Not for Silversea. <<Snip>> 

Really?

Jan, I think you missed Paul's point and chose a careful place to "snip" his comments.  

Explora 1 and Silver Nova were both new classes of ships and were both delayed; SS slipped a month and let people know roughly 8 months ahead.  Explora 1 was delayed twice, with the last delay only weeks before people were planning to sail on it.  Explora Journeys' first cruise ship Explora 1 delayed days before launch | Cruise News | CruiseMapper

Explora 2 and Silver Ray (that Paul referred to) are more comparable; second ship of a new class for each line.  Explora 2 is delayed by a month or so and announced 2 months before sailing.  Silver Ray was delivered two days ahead of schedule.  Silversea Takes Delivery of Silver Ray | Silversea

Big difference.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Nova was a Covid delay.  We are talking about TODAY.   Silver RAY is sailing and delivered early.

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

Jan, I think you missed Paul's point and chose a careful place to "snip" his comments.  

Explora 1 and Silver Nova were both new classes of ships and were both delayed; SS slipped a month and let people know roughly 8 months ahead.  Explora 1 was delayed twice, with the last delay only weeks before people were planning to sail on it.  Explora Journeys' first cruise ship Explora 1 delayed days before launch | Cruise News | CruiseMapper

Explora 2 and Silver Ray (that Paul referred to) are more comparable; second ship of a new class for each line.  Explora 2 is delayed by a month or so and announced 2 months before sailing.  Silver Ray was delivered two days ahead of schedule.  Silversea Takes Delivery of Silver Ray | Silversea

Big difference.

My only point was that PaulMCO's post was replying to Happy Cruzin's post which I interpreted to be asserting that delays of new ships are pretty much common to all lines. And yes, Happy Cruzin would be correct.  It does happen to all lines--including SilverSea. 

My comment was not a dig at SilverSea nor to any poster.  It was simply to refute the idea that one specific line--regardless of who it might be--would be immune to these issues.  I'll note that while the Nova was reportedly delayed due to "supply chain issues", with both the Suez and Panama Canal are both either closed or issuing restrictions, we are currently operating with limitations on our sea lanes not seen since 1869.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, WanderingTravels said:

The same shipyard built Sun Princess (Princess Cruises) and she too was late.  It's not the cruise line's fault, it's the builder.  

Fortunately, Fincantieri builds cruise ships for very few cruise lines.  The short list is:

Princess, Holland America, Carnival, Costa, P&O Cruises, Ponant, Viking, Cunard, Seabourn, MSC, Silversea, Oceania, Disney, Regent, Hurtigruten, NCL, Hapag-Lloyd and Virgin.

Here is something that I thought was interesting.  When we first sailed MSC before our World Cruise, we were told by an MSC official that although MSC was essentially an Italian cruise line, all of their ships prior to the Seaside class were built by companies in France, not Fincatieri which is in Italy.  MSC did hire Fincantieri to build build the Seaside-class ships but it was due to reliability issues with the construction that drover MSC to build their World-class ships Chantiers de l'Atlantique--back in France.

So I was surprised after being told this that MSC would double-down to build their luxury-brand ships with Fincantieri.

Edited by JanR

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WanderingTravels said:

It's not the cruise line's fault, it's the builder. 

It’s a shared responsibility, as the cruise line is responsible for the design and features; the builder builds to their specifications.  Putting out a press release that Explora 2 successfully passed sea trials suggests that the builder did their job. 

For example, the new trend (with Explora and Silversea) to put pools/large hot tubs off the sides of the ship is a significant engineering challenge - changes all the dynamics compared to the pools/water being in the center or centerline of the ship.  Can be built properly by the builder but give headaches to the operator who made those design choices.  Explora 1 (to my knowledge) may not yet have a functioning Helios pool (the adults area pool) because of a design flaw.  Could be Explora 2 is held up for a comparable issue not being resolved (or same one).

Edited by johng75370

27 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

It’s a shared responsibility, as the cruise line is responsible for the design and features; the builder builds to their specifications.  Putting out a press release that Explora 2 successfully passed sea trials suggests that the builder did their job. 

For example, the new trend (with Explora and Silversea) to put pools/large hot tubs off the sides of the ship is a significant engineering challenge - changes all the dynamics compared to the pools/water being in the center or centerline of the ship.  Can be built properly by the builder but give headaches to the operator who made those design choices.  Explora 1 (to my knowledge) may not yet have a functioning Helios pool (the adults area pool) because of a design flaw.  Could be Explora 2 is held up for a comparable issue not being resolved (or same one).

Explora II is not a prototype, she’s the second vessel in a series, so your theory doesn’t really hold up.  Actually the engineering designs (used for construction) are not done by the owner they are done by the yard, based on the general arrangement designs provided by the owner.  So the yard knows what they’re building, in this case the yard didn’t have enough time to deliver on time….likely because of supply-chain issues like with the Sun Princess and several ships beforehand.  

4 hours ago, JanR said:

Fortunately, Fincantieri builds cruise ships for very few cruise lines.  The short list is:

Princess, Holland America, Carnival, Costa, P&O Cruises, Ponant, Viking, Cunard, Seabourn, MSC, Silversea, Oceania, Disney, Regent, Hurtigruten, NCL, Hapag-Lloyd and Virgin.

Here is something that I thought was interesting.  When we first sailed MSC before our World Cruise, we were told by an MSC official that although MSC was essentially an Italian cruise line, all of their ships prior to the Seaside class were built by companies in France, not Fincatieri which is in Italy.  MSC did hire Fincantieri to build build the Seaside-class ships but it was due to reliability issues with the construction that drover MSC to build their World-class ships Chantiers de l'Atlantique--back in France.

So I was surprised after being told this that MSC would double-down to build their luxury-brand ships with Fincantieri.

I take it meant very many cruise lines, not very few.   You left out TUI Mein Schiff and Four Seasons Yacht.  

Price and availability are usually the driving factors for determining where a ship is built.  The French yard is busy building ships for MSC, Royal Caribbean, Orient-Express and Ritz-Carlton…it’s a smaller shipyard than Fincantieri and probably couldn’t take on such an order for Explora.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, WanderingTravels said:

Explora II is not a prototype, she’s the second vessel in a series, so your theory doesn’t really hold up.

That’s exactly my point; they (MSC Group) did not get Explora 1 correct as evidenced by the non-functional Helios pool.  EJ has tried to make changes to it while sailing, but it’s been taking a while to get it right (maybe it is finally fixed).  Across my two voyages it was not; and as a cruise line that encourages families not having an adult-only area is an issue.  EJ may be holding up Explora 2 rather than ship it with that or other design flaws; they hopefully have learned from what they did not get right on Explora 1.  None of that has to do with the builder; if it was builder-caused delay then the successful sea trials would not have happened on schedule.

Edited by johng75370

17 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

That’s exactly my point; they (MSC Group) did not get Explora 1 correct as evidenced by the non-functional Helios pool.  EJ has tried to make changes to it while sailing, but it’s been taking a while to get it right (maybe it is finally fixed).  Across my two voyages it was not; and as a cruise line that encourages families not having an adult-only area is an issue.  EJ may be holding up Explora 2 rather than ship it with that or other design flaws; they hopefully have learned from what they did not get right on Explora 1.  None of that has to do with the builder; if it was builder-caused delay then the successful sea trials would not have happened on schedule.

Builder trials are machinery tests for propulsion, navigation, engineering equipment, etc.   Trials have nothing to do with the completion of the hotel areas and I’m sure they wouldn’t cancel five revenue cruises, amounting in millions of lost revenue, just because of a non-functional Helios pool.   The fact is, as it generally always is when a ship is delivered late, the outfitting of the vessel is simply not sufficiently complete to begin service without serious disruption to the guests and crew.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, WanderingTravels said:

Trials have nothing to do with the completion of the hotel areas and I’m sure they wouldn’t cancel five revenue cruises, amounting in millions of lost revenue, just because of a non-functional Helios pool.

I appreciate your point; the shipyard agreed to deliver a complete product and they may not be able to,  I just hope EJ don’t do what they did with Explora 1 which is accepting a product that met their specs, then realizing they made some mistakes impacting passengers over several months.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1