LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Isn’t life too short for all this? Just enjoy your cruise.

I'd enjoy my cruise more if I had the macaroon that I asked for.  

Edited to add:  Maybe others (besides you) would like to know that if they ask for something to take away from Sir Samuel's that they are not going to be able to get the dessert to go. 

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Edited to add:  Maybe others (besides you) would like to know that if they ask for something to take away from Sir Samuel's that they are not going to be able to get the dessert to go. 

I have to agree with you.    Sometimes it doesn't come down to the Macaroon but the principle combined with other failures and disappointment you have experienced. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to agree with you.    Sometimes it doesn't come down to the Macaroon but the principle combined with other failures and disappointment you have experienced. 

Exactly, and people should know about a wide range of experiences.  Many people come to this board contemplating Cunard cruises and like everything in life there are pros and cons.   I just want to share my experiences so hopefully it will benefit someone making a decision. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Part of the benefit of being in the Queen's Grill upper class is that your butler is there for you to do little things that you need - a good example is to fetch you macaroons from Sir Samuel's!  I mean, why not use all the facilities and services you're entitled to... you paid a lot of $$$ for the QG class. I'm sailing with Britannia class (3rd class) and don't expect too much luxury, but I think I'm getting an excellent value for money with my cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I would expect to consume anything I ordered in a particular eating venue in that venue, other than the Lido, though people carrying stuff from the Lido in the lifts is something that drives me mad, because it is so dangerous. But that is another issue. I’m not mad about cakes, but if I ordered fish and chips in the Pub, it would be because I was going to eat them there, etc. It doesn’t seem odd to me, and particularly not something to get upset about. But it is indeed your holiday to spend as you wish.

• Like 1

This seems like a failure at properly training staff. I thoroughly appreciate your honesty @Joe33472. Thank you for taking the time to share everything that you have with honesty. 

• Like 3

Order them through your Butler from the restaurant or phone QG when it's open and ask for a special to be delivered.

Bit of a faff especially as you'd been promised them but pistachio macaroon hunger pains will be satisfied.

Just don't be surprised if you get fed up of macaroon deliveries!!! 😄

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I would expect to consume anything I ordered in a particular eating venue in that venue, other than the Lido, though people carrying stuff from the Lido in the lifts is something that drives me mad, because it is so dangerous. But that is another issue. I’m not mad about cakes, but if I ordered fish and chips in the Pub, it would be because I was going to eat them there, etc. It doesn’t seem odd to me, and particularly not something to get upset about. But it is indeed your holiday to spend as you wish.

Big difference between fish and chips and a cookie. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

Just to make a point, since you’re in QG, I’d ask your butler to bring you a couple of the Sir Samuels macaroons every day!  Do they charge for the macaroons in Sir Samuels?

Yes all cakes and pastries there are extra charge

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Would never have occurred to me to take anything away it’s a not a take way. That’s why the cakes are served on china plates with appropriate cutlery. I love the cakes there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Would never have occurred to me to take anything away it’s a not a take way. That’s why the cakes are served on china plates with appropriate cutlery. I love the cakes there. 

If I was having them at the end of a paid for meal and was too stuffed to eat them then yes, I'd ask for a napkin to take them away.

As a walk in just for one  chargeable item, then no, we wouldn't expect to be able to walk out with any but then wouldn't go in for that  as we'd ask for it as a special from QG.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Drinks are served in glasses but people take them from venue to venue and back to their cabins, can't really see the difference.

If as you say cakes are an additional charge in there, then I can't see how you can be forced to eat them there.

Edited by S1971
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If I was having them at the end of a paid for meal and was too stuffed to eat them then yes, I'd ask for a napkin to take them away.

As a walk in just for one  chargeable item, then no, we wouldn't expect to be able to walk out with any but then wouldn't go in for that  as we'd ask for it as a special from QG.

I had no idea that the bakery items in that venue are chargeable.   Even more reason that they should serve me what I want and let me leave with them.  They never said, the cost was $7 each can we have your card so we can charge them to the room.  

That's like if you went into a Starbucks and said you wanted a coffee and they said that you had to drink it there.   Now knowing these are chargeable makes this even worse.   You can't buy something onboard and leave with it?  That's crazy.   I've gone to bars onboard, obtained a drink and took it with me.   Am I supposed to drink it in the venue?  

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I had no idea that the bakery items in that venue are chargeable.   Even more reason that they should serve me what I want and let me leave with them.  They never said, the cost was $7 each can we have your card so we can charge them to the room.  

That's like if you went into a Starbucks and said you wanted a coffee and they said that you had to drink it there.   Now knowing these are chargeable makes this even worse.   You can't buy something onboard and leave with it?  That's crazy.   I've gone to bars onboard, obtained a drink and took it with me.   Am I supposed to drink it in the venue?  

Certainly that is where I would normally drink a drink. Isn’t that what the bars are for.

Just now, exlondoner said:

Certainly that is where I would normally drink a drink. Isn’t that what the bars are for.

I see so many people walking around this ship carrying drinks and food.  That must be something you personally don't like.  I don't see any problem with it as long as they are careful and are respectful.

• Like 2

I totally understand your frustration but knowing Sir Sam's as a chargeable venue, I would have expected a charge and as it wouldn't occur to me to use it as a 'take away', would therefore not have gone in and asked but would, as I say, asked as a special from QG.

Just now, Victoria2 said:

I totally understand your frustration but knowing Sir Sam's as a chargeable venue, I would have expected a charge and as it wouldn't occur to me to use it as a 'take away', would therefore not have gone in and asked but would, as I say, asked as a special from QG.

I now have to eat my words as of course, you are NOT on Annie but are on QM2 so I apologise for cross purpose answering.

I now see your point and would have thought a napkin with your macaroons wouldn't be out of the way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joe33472 said:

I see so many people walking around this ship carrying drinks and food.  That must be something you personally don't like.  I don't see any problem with it as long as they are careful and are respectful.

Quite correct, most people do it whilst going from venue to venue to see the differing entertainment.

44 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:
1 hour ago, vieux_carre said:

Just to make a point, since you’re in QG, I’d ask your butler to bring you a couple of the Sir Samuels macaroons every day!  Do they charge for the macaroons in Sir Samuels?

Yes all cakes and pastries there are extra charge

It has been our understanding that coffee beverages at SS are an extra charge but the cake/pastry case is complimentary (similar to the complimentary food in Carinthia)

• Like 2

Just now, Victoria2 said:

The frustration isn't over the cookie, it's the negative reaction about anything critical about Cunard or QM2.   If nobody has EVER had the desire to ask for a cookie to go from Sir Samuel's that doesn't make it wrong or something that can't be done.  The food service manager said it should be no problem at all for me to take away a couple of cookies.   If they are selling the cookies, EVEN more reason to let me buy them and let me go on my way.  Or even better, have them sent to my room if it's objectionable to some that I walk down the hall with a cookie or drink.  

• Like 2

It’s not something I’ve really noticed a great deal, but your experience is obviously more recent than mine. I think on the whole it is rather a dangerous practice, depending on where it is done: in a crowded lift, with hot drinks I think it could be seriously dangerous. But, on the whole, my main reaction is to be mystified as to why people should want to walk around carrying food and drink. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

It has been our understanding that coffee beverages at SS are an extra charge but the cake/pastry case is complimentary (similar to the complimentary food in Carinthia)

We were in there the other day (drank coffee and had a pastry without leaving the place) and that was my understanding too.   If they charge for pastries then there should be little placards in the display case showing the prices.   We're on a drinks package, so I thought the coffee and pastries were free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

The frustration isn't over the cookie, it's the negative reaction about anything critical about Cunard or QM2.   If nobody has EVER had the desire to ask for a cookie to go from Sir Samuel's that doesn't make it wrong or something that can't be done.  The food service manager said it should be no problem at all for me to take away a couple of cookies.   If they are selling the cookies, EVEN more reason to let me buy them and let me go on my way.  Or even better, have them sent to my room if it's objectionable to some that I walk down the hall with a cookie or drink.  

I agree and edited my comment accordingly.

• Like 1