LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

We just went to Britannia Restaurant so I could take some photos of the menus to post here and when passing Sir Samuel's we noticed that they had pistachio macaroons available.  These happen to be one of our favorite desserts, but since we just finished lunch we figured that we would ask for a couple to take away and have the macaroons this afternoon.   We were told by the staff that we must eat the macaroons in Sir Samuel's and that we couldn't take the macaroons with us.  They said that was the rule.   We said to yourselves, we'll just sit down, order the macaroons and walk out with them.  But, we're definitely not rule breakers and if that's the rule that's the rule.  Seems like a really dumb rule.   I haven't seen a single macaroon anywhere on this ship since we've boarded and I'm sure if we wait until later this afternoon, all of the macaroons will be gone.  

So, at this point in the cruise, I've just had it with food services, so I went to the front desk to find a manager.  The usually long line was there and I gave up.  There were about 10 or so people in the queue, I think all needing tech support.   As I'm walking away, a man comes from the area in what appears to be an officer's uniform.  I look at his name tag and it indicates that he's the food service manager.  Perfect.  I discussed the "rule" with him. He says there is no rule, and shakes his head.  I say, "What would they do if I ordered the macaroons and took them to go?  Would they tackle me for the macaroons?".  He apologizes and says that he'll have some sent up to our room.  1/2 hour later, still no macaroons.... Not that we could eat them yet, it's just the point. 

My daughter always tells me not to fuss about certain situations, but sometimes it's the principle of the thing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

The frustration isn't over the cookie, it's the negative reaction about anything critical about Cunard or QM2.   If nobody has EVER had the desire to ask for a cookie to go from Sir Samuel's that doesn't make it wrong or something that can't be done.  The food service manager said it should be no problem at all for me to take away a couple of cookies.   If they are selling the cookies, EVEN more reason to let me buy them and let me go on my way.  Or even better, have them sent to my room if it's objectionable to some that I walk down the hall with a cookie or drink.  

My frustration is over so strong a reaction to such a trivial thing.

What might be truly strange is if the pastries are free only if you order a coffee. You never know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

We were in there the other day (drank coffee and had a pastry without leaving the place) and that was my understanding too.   If they charge for pastries then there should be little placards in the display case showing the prices.   We're on a drinks package, so I thought the coffee and pastries were free. 

I believe you are correct and I'm trying to find it on the Cunard website or MyCunard. On Celebrity, they had the same type of sweets display case and it was complimentary, even if you didn't purchase a beverage (or have a drink package to use) They also did take away. I sure hope Cunard is similar as it was a favorite venue for us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kordy said:

If you're on a drinks package, I would have thought coffee at Sir Sam should be included in the package - surely?

I'm not sure if it's only on the Grills Promo, but I've been charged for drinks (hot and cold) as we go along and the charge is reversed the next day at 10:30 a.m. 

And to be honest, when we went in the other day, I didn't look at the receipt and just signed it.  I thought it was for just the two coffees.   Now I'm going to have to investigate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I would like to take some olives, cheese and crackers for when I am sitting on my balcony having a glass of wine.    I hope that it is not declassee?

We often go to the buffet for snacks to carry back to our stateroom. I recently purchased a small insulated tote just to use for this. If it's declassee, so be it.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

It has been our understanding that coffee beverages at SS are an extra charge but the cake/pastry case is complimentary (similar to the complimentary food in Carinthia)

That is definitely correct, the small plates in both Sir Samuel and Carinthia are without charge, it's just that in the Sir Samuels the perspex box tends to make people think they are chargeable. But I've had many biscuits / danish / croissant items from there and not been charged.

Moreover since I don't think the Speciality Hot Drink package is good value for money, I would typically order a Latte or some such and a slice of cake. I would then get the bill for the coffee, which I would have to sign for against OBC, and there has never been a cake (etc) item charged with it.

But I think in this case it's kind of too much overthinking here. Yes the food is supposed to eaten in the venues as served, but how many times have we seen people bring heaped plates of food out of Kings Court and off to a stateroom? Happens all the time. Happily in this case the OP can get the butler to do the heavy lifting, as it were.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I would like to take some olives, cheese and crackers for when I am sitting on my balcony having a glass of wine.    I hope that it is not declassee?

I think the point I often make is that if you want to look for them, Cunard will have rules galore - one bottle of wine on board / must turn up on the time on the boarding pass / must salute the captain whenever s/he passes by you / no more than 3 scoops of ice-cream. In reality Cunard treats us all as adults, and so long as nothing stupid happens, then all will be well. Use of commonsense is not yet outlawed.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

We often go to the buffet for snacks to carry back to our stateroom. I recently purchased a small insulated tote just to use for this. If it's declassee, so be it.

and I have taken a plate of lunchtime bits back to the cabin on  a few occasions when I didn't fancy room service or bother showering sun screen off to go to lunch upstairs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and I have taken a plate of lunchtime bits back to the cabin on  a few occasions when I didn't fancy room service or bother showering sun screen off to go to lunch upstairs.

Absolutely, I also take back a night cap most nights.

Nothing wrong with doing either, I thought it was the norm for lots of people.

• Like 3

Again, thank you @Joe33472 for all that you have shared here. It is proving to be a huge help in our planning. Your comments and information about the television channels/internet/IP address situation have been especially helpful today as we have been trying to decide which internet plan to purchase.

I don't think it's fair to say sharing an experience or observation is "trivial" or unimportant. It may be helpful to someone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Absolutely, I also take back a night cap most nights.

Nothing wrong with doing either, I thought it was the norm for lots of people.

I just mention that I wanted to bring back a couple of cookies to my room and I'm told to chill out and enjoy my cruise, that I should only eat food in the venue that it's served, get my butler to retrieve the cookies (that I could easily do myself), and because food is served on a plate that I shouldn't expect to be able to take it to my room.   I'm asked how many cruises I've taken, as if I'm the problem. 

Meanwhile, tons of people bring tidbits for snacks to their room, drinks are brought to and from venues, and food regularly is seen being transported down the halls.   AND, the food service manager even agrees, that it should be no problem for me to take away a couple of cookies and apologizes.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

get my butler to retrieve the cookies

I was one of the early folks who suggested that.  I apologize that the intent of my remark was unclear - I wasn't suggesting that the butler do it to relieve you of the headache or imply that you had done anything wrong, but that it might highlight to the Sir Samuel's staff their misstep if, all of a sudden, one of the QG butlers was requisitioning the cookies on a daily basis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I just mention that I wanted to bring back a couple of cookies to my room and I'm told to chill out and enjoy my cruise, that I should only eat food in the venue that it's served, get my butler to retrieve the cookies (that I could easily do myself), and because food is served on a plate that I shouldn't expect to be able to take it to my room.   I'm asked how many cruises I've taken, as if I'm the problem. 

Meanwhile, tons of people bring tidbits for snacks to their room, drinks are brought to and from venues, and food regularly is seen being transported down the halls.   AND, the food service manager even agrees, that it should be no problem for me to take away a couple of cookies and apologizes.  

I personally would just take the cookies with me, without asking.  I think the staff at Sir Sam's intend you to have it there and eat it there as they are served in a non-take-away way, but if you take them with you, who cares.

Agree with everything you say and like you I would've questioned the decision too.

Taking food and drink to other areas of the ship is commonplace on every cruise I've ever been on.

Enjoying your almost live blog by the way, thanks for taking the time out of your voyage to share your views.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Want a cookie?

The Lido or Kings Court or Artisans Hall. call it what you will  often have a stash of cookies. on request if not in view. A bit like a currency. The server reaches under the counter and puts a couple in my napkin to take away!!😀

Choc chip or cookies with cranberries.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Want a cookie?

The Lido or Kings Court or Artisans Hall. call it what you will  often have a stash of cookies. on request if not in view. A bit like a currency. The server reaches under the counter and puts a couple in my napkin to take away!!😀

Choc chip or cookies with cranberries.

Now that's a good tip, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I've enjoyed your updates, they've been incredibly helpful and refreshing. Please keep them coming - and I hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

I've enjoyed your updates, they've been incredibly helpful and refreshing. Please keep them coming - and I hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm really glad you have found the posts helpful.  I was really only trying to provide a balanced and unbiased opinion of my experiences.  I've definitely given praise where praise is due. 

As a first timer on Cunard, I have no horse in the race.  I don't have a vested interest in a loyalty program or any loyalty to this cruise line.  I am; however, an avid consumer of vacation products.  We take at least 12 weeks of holidays a year.  So, we know what something is good and when it's not.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I totally understand your frustration but knowing Sir Sam's as a chargeable venue, I would have expected a charge and as it wouldn't occur to me to use it as a 'take away', would therefore not have gone in and asked but would, as I say, asked as a special from QG.

The pastries and sandwiches in Sir Samuel’s are included in your voyage price on the QM2.    The specialty coffees, teas and hot chocolate are chargeable same as on Celebrity in their coffee house.    I understand that the QA has made Sir Samuel’s a specialty dining option.

• Like 2

I'm really glad you have found the posts helpful.  I was really only trying to provide a balanced and unbiased opinion of my experiences.  I've definitely given praise where praise is due. 

As a first timer on Cunard, I have no horse in the race.  I don't have a vested interest in a loyalty program or any loyalty to this cruise line.  I am; however, an avid consumer of vacation products.  We take at least 12 weeks of holidays a year.  So, we know what something is good and when it's not.    

And I think you've done that very well, and it's great to get opinions on food, service and the good and bad aspects. Particularly those as someone new to Cunard (which is also myself)

I hope this thread has not deterred you from continuing to update here, trying Cunard again (will look forward to your final thoughts of your voyage if you are happy to share them), and most importantly that you enjoy the remainder of your cruise, and can take away the positives from the experience so far.

• Like 4