2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

34 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Who would turn down free stuff? Not my world.

LOL, like Norwegian's Free At Seas offer ...  "Free" stuff really isn't free, already factored into the bundled offers.   Anyway, I'm sure many of us recalled the MCI-Sprint and Nextel walkie-talkie PPT phone days, and "Hello, Can you hear me now" informmercial days.  Between Verizon and Motorola, they had and held their market dominance 20-25 years ago, with T-Mobile further back being #3 on the pecking order. 

We're on an Alaska cruise in 2008, T-Mo, Sprint and even AT&T struggled to get a cellular signal in ports, Verizon came thru b/c of free roaming agreement with a local/regional provider ... tides have changed.  Prices kept rising despite our 22% "corporate" discounted family plan with unlimited ... finally had enough and it's been T-Mobile ever since, then became charter members when Google (Project) Fi launched, global access & coverage started out with 120 to 130 countries, now 200+ countries - simplified 3 tier pricing.  

No worries when we travel abroad, power up or reboot the smartphone; and, it just worked - look forward to see the satellite to cellular addition next year into 2026.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ditto!

While on my five week European Spring Fling this year, I did pay an additional $50 for the T-Mobile 30-day International Pass for 15GB high-speed data and unlimited calling. I needed the data for my solo treks. I also needed voice service to deal with a mini-crisis I left behind back at the ranch. 

However, normally I have been able to use T-Mobile in Europe, Asia and South America without having to pay anything additional. Have been very happy with T-Mobile, also having switched from Verizon and AT&T before that.

Again, I am the odd-woman out.  I have had Verizon since time began and never had an issue with them. Bills are always the same, coverage is great where ever I am and I can use my phone internationally just as if I was at home (calls, text, streaming...no limit on data).

I have the International plan built into my bundle so I only pay $10 a day IF I use my phone AND if I go a month without traveling internationally (which I do often...I am not @Sugar Magnolia) those months are 'banked' so I don't pay the $10 (ex: I hadn't traveled out of the country for 9 months last year...when I got to Dubai, my 9 days there were not charged the $10 a day as I had accrued 9 days of not using my plan). I also recently added home internet thru Verizon (finally cutting the cable) and it's fantastic. My son can do gaming and I can stream with no lags, buffering, etc. And it is less than half of what I was paying with cable. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have a cell tower within fee of my front door.

Sorry for such a long response...I am starting to feel like Henry @mking8288 but not anywhere near as smart! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If you are referring to the Viva departing out of Galveston on 1/10/26, I think there are at least two CC members who have either booked or have expressed interest in that sailing. That itinerary would be my fallback if Europe does not work out for me. I usually find January sailings to be less crowded...after the holiday season and before the winter/spring breaks.

So now I have to start looking at this cruise.  I also love that new ship smell and want to do Aqua in late 2025 or early 2026...haven't even gone down that road yet. Plus land trips to Singapore and/or Japan.  Too much travel, too little time. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…I know of at least two people who are making it hard for me NOT to book a cruise regardless of my circumstances!  Not naming names!  

The heck with these people. Your health, safety and well-being come first. No one wants to witness another one of your unintentional breakdancing moves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Well…I know of at least two people who are making it hard for me NOT to book a cruise regardless of my circumstances!  Not naming names!  

LOL, well I can name them for you if you like, hahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

LOL, like Norwegian's Free At Seas offer ...  "Free" stuff really isn't free, already factored into the bundled offers.   Anyway, I'm sure many of us recalled the MCI-Sprint and Nextel walkie-talkie PPT phone days, and "Hello, Can you hear me now" informmercial days.  Between Verizon and Motorola, they had and held their market dominance 20-25 years ago, with T-Mobile further back being #3 on the pecking order. 

We're on an Alaska cruise in 2008, T-Mo, Sprint and even AT&T struggled to get a cellular signal in ports, Verizon came thru b/c of free roaming agreement with a local/regional provider ... tides have changed.  Prices kept rising despite our 22% "corporate" discounted family plan with unlimited ... finally had enough and it's been T-Mobile ever since, then became charter members when Google (Project) Fi launched, global access & coverage started out with 120 to 130 countries, now 200+ countries - simplified 3 tier pricing.  

No worries when we travel abroad, power up or reboot the smartphone; and, it just worked - look forward to see the satellite to cellular addition next year into 2026.  

I've been using Motorola's Iridium sat phone for years.  It does a good job blocking unwanted inbound calls.

That pooch has a serious trust issue with you.  Speaking of trust issues, how long would this trip allow us to be away from pool loungers?  Asking for friend.

• Haha 1

So, in 2026 there will be a total eclipse viewable off Spain. So far, NCL hasn't announced a cruise to see it (although Cunard and Princess already have). Hopefully NCL will offer such a cruise and it might be worth considering.

Our very first cruise was on the Sky's maiden voyage in 1999 for the last total eclipse of the 20th century. We left from Dover for Normandy, caught the eclipse south of Great Britain, visited Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Amsterdam. NCL even had Buzz Aldrin on board. Total eclipses are totally amazing. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GALSews said:

So, in 2026 there will be a total eclipse viewable off Spain. So far, NCL hasn't announced a cruise to see it (although Cunard and Princess already have). Hopefully NCL will offer such a cruise and it might be worth considering.

Our very first cruise was on the Sky's maiden voyage in 1999 for the last total eclipse of the 20th century. We left from Dover for Normandy, caught the eclipse south of Great Britain, visited Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Amsterdam. NCL even had Buzz Aldrin on board. Total eclipses are totally amazing. 

Great idea! Since I missed this year's big event, I would definitely be interested in sailing on a total solar eclipse cruise. I have seen a total lunar eclipse on the Spirit in 2018 sailing the Mediterranean and the northern lights on the Prima this year somewhere along the English Channel. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Great idea! Since I missed this year's big event, I would definitely be interested in sailing on a total solar eclipse cruise. I have seen a total lunar eclipse on the Spirit in 2018 sailing the Mediterranean and the northern lights on the Prima this year somewhere along the English Channel. 

Another cruise to add to the list (sigh).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Natural phenomena.....from https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100071726805777

The port of Galveaton is closed tomorrow and we have already had some feeder bands push through.
I am picking up my last set of passengers and transporting them to their hotel.
I need to go home and make sure that my house is secure. Plants put up, laundry, done, vacuum, etc. Because nobody wants to go through a hurricane with a dirty house.
I will begin checking messages again sometime around noon tomorrow and I will let y’all know how we’re doing .
Stay safe and enjoy your week.

I've used Galveston Saltwater Mom's for Galveston cruise transport.  It's essentially one person with a couple others working part time.  Outstanding transport and convenience and pricing that's fair.

This was her report from yesterday.  Any talk of Galveston cruises are up in the air as no one knows the extent of damage.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dexddd said:

... how long would this trip allow us to be away from pool loungers?  Asking for friend.

Good question, are you considering 😸 loungers in the Haven section including OL aren't problematic, no ?  

BTW, steak & eggs with hashbrown was at a Cracker Barrel pit stop, better than our local greasy spoon and reasonably priced at $20.  Niece's pooch was staring at the weekend BBQ setup in the backyard as I was tasked with keeping her away, crawl at me to feel guilty and slip her bites. 

Collage_2024-07-07_10_43_24.thumb.jpg.b4588665c27e3c6fc5222da2b7cd31a7.jpg

Don't you miss those old NCL poolside lunch with ribs, wings, pork chops, burgers, sausages, corn & hotdogs on the older ship days 😋  

Happy Monday, all  ... heatwave continues, elementary school friend living in Vegas said they reached 119 degrees F yesterday. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I priced it out...$9K for a solo inside. So now it's off the list!

Unsure what you are looking at. NCL has not released its Summer 2026 itineraries for Europe. Or perhaps you have advance knowledge as you are special in which case, please share. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GALSews said:

Love it! Thought about it! There's a couple specific itineraries for this being offered by travel agents and lines. Here's an article listing a few of them from April: https://travelnoire.com/2026-solar-eclipse-cruises

For me, personally, I went backpacking to see the 2017 eclipse in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. Here's my pup during the eclipse twenty miles from nowhere (cuz it's totally cruise-related): 

image.thumb.jpeg.2a34c11d6f2fcaf141c08207b893b143.jpeg

In 2024 we just hung out at our house as we were within 95% totality. That worked for us. We did some outdoor projects, let the dogs run around outside, and then went to watch the eclipse from a vantage point above our meadows.

For 2026, I'm sure not getting on no cruise ship for the eclipse. Especially NCL! Next thing you know, they'll change the itinerary from off the coast of Spain to the Red Sea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Unsure what you are looking at. NCL has not released its Summer 2026 itineraries for Europe. Or perhaps you have advance knowledge as you are special in which case, please share. 😁

We so neeeeeeeeed those summer 2026 Europe cruises to finally post! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Good question, are you considering 😸 loungers in the Haven section including OL aren't problematic, no ?  

BTW, steak & eggs with hashbrown was at a Cracker Barrel pit stop, better than our local greasy spoon and reasonably priced at $20.  Niece's pooch was staring at the weekend BBQ setup in the backyard as I was tasked with keeping her away, crawl at me to feel guilty and slip her bites. 

Collage_2024-07-07_10_43_24.thumb.jpg.b4588665c27e3c6fc5222da2b7cd31a7.jpg

Don't you miss those old NCL poolside lunch with ribs, wings, pork chops, burgers, sausages, corn & hotdogs on the older ship days 😋  

Happy Monday, all  ... heatwave continues, elementary school friend living in Vegas said they reached 119 degrees F yesterday. 

NIce.......love cookouts.

My son and I bounced around from place to place.  Some restaurants/cafes with outdoor space had commercial grills set up for serving typical cookout foods.  We went to 3 of them.  Enjoyed not having to set up, clean up and cook myself.

It was a good 4th of July weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Sorry I didn't clarify.  I was looking at Princess. For that kind of money I will fly to Spain, put a lawnchair in a kiddie pool and enjoy the eclipse. 

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Sorry I didn't clarify.  I was looking at Princess. For that kind of money I will fly to Spain, put a lawnchair in a kiddie pool and enjoy the eclipse. 

Now I am thinking I would rather watch the eclipse from Greenland or Iceland in August.

• Like 1