Medallion Dissection

Posted (edited)

I know this has been done before but it's been awhile since I recall seeing it here on CC.  We were discussing how medallions were "replaced" in another thread when you lose one or it stops working.  There was speculation as to whether they actually change batteries or just give you a different one.  The consensus was that you are given a new one; programmed as the old one was.  I think I can pretty well confirm that now that I decided to butcher one of my old ones.  I pretty well destroyed it just trying to get it open...no way in the world (that I could tell anyway) that they are ever intended to be opened up after they are assembled.  As you can see in the last pic, there's a bit of technology involved!

20240619_172459.jpg

20240619_172507.jpg

20240619_172546.jpg

20240619_172600.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Yep. I remember seeing a similar post quite some time back. It convinced me that there was no way they replaced the battery. The things are mass produced and they just give you a new one if yours stops working. My wife and I both had to have ours replaced when we did 63 days straight on Grand Princess last year. It was quick and easy.

When I had to replace my medallion, I waited a few minutes at the Customer Service Counter.  Agent went in the back....and returned with my "new" one.  I requested to keep the original.  The duplicate had the same name and ship/date as the original on the gray ring around medallion.  There must be a way to print/engrave on the ship.  

There are a bunch of blank Medallions and stickers in the GS Office.  There's also a laser engraving machine that's used to personalize them with name, ship, and embarkation date.  I imagine the laser engraving process is much like how Apple products are personalized when the engraving option is selected at purchase.  Medallions weren't meant to be opened or have the battery replaced because it makes the advertised waterproof property go away; any gap is an entry point for water.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yep. I remember seeing a similar post quite some time back. It convinced me that there was no way they replaced the battery. The things are mass produced and they just give you a new one if yours stops working. My wife and I both had to have ours replaced when we did 63 days straight on Grand Princess last year. It was quick and easy.

On our 32 day cruise last month, medallion batteries were dying around day 24.  Bad news was DW went out to play Princess Prizes on our door plate, but her battery was dead and the cabin door had closed behind her -- wouldn't have been a big deal but she was in her nightie and barefoot.  I wasn't around, no iphone, she was NOT going to walk down to the elevator lobby to use the house phone (in her nightie).   Luckily, a neighbor called GS for her... Oh the humanity!

So be warned!

PS: No winner on prizes that time ...

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The consensus was that you are given a new one; programmed as the old one was.

While that may be the consensus, as you demonstrate and mention, there is no accessing the internals to program it without damaging it.

Each Medallion is preprogrammed a unique code, like a car's license plate. That number is assigned to your account. If you get a new Medallion, they scan the new code to your account.

Edited by mtnesterz

Mine was dead on arrival this trip so I had to visit GS on boarding. I was told that there were many others with the same problem. My wife’s medallion lasted 3 or 4 days before it gave out. 

2 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Mine was dead on arrival this trip so I had to visit GS on boarding. I was told that there were many others with the same problem. My wife’s medallion lasted 3 or 4 days before it gave out. 

Bad batch?

Mine died the evening of the 24th day (of a 25 day voyage).  At a most inopportune time but not embarrassing).