Random reports from Vista

babysteps

@babysteps - have you been to Venice before? There is so much to see but if I may make a suggestion - if you have half a day just wander and get lost in the back alleys. Venice isn't huge and you will eventually find yourself back with the hoards but it is a great way to see parts that aren't in the guide books. Also, don't forget to go online and get your visitor QR code. I believe it is free if you are staying overnight but apparently you still need one (or at least so it said on the news 😁)

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ORV said:

And the price you paid for your cruise should have nothing to do with them changing their procedures to suit each of our opinions or perceptions of the way tendering should operate. 

Personally I see it exactly opposite as you, there are myriad reasons for management allowing those that book tours to have first tenders. 

There has to be a reason to justify the normally insane markup the ship charges for the same tour that can generally done at the fraction of the cost independently.  Obviously the biggest reason is the ship will wait if the tour if it runs late, screened vendors, and also the tour starts on time because tours have tender priority.  

Maybe we've just been lucky tendering with O.  We've never had an excessive wait waiting for our tender ticket color to be called, even after having the tours go first.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

if you have half a day just wander and get lost in the back alleys.

Last time we had a long weekend in Venice, I found several walks online which were off the tourist route. We did one each day. Fascinating - you get an entirely different perspective on the city (and, perhaps, an understanding why there are calls to restrict tourist numbers). 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bradpole said:

There has to be a reason to justify the normally insane markup the ship charges for the same tour that can generally done at the fraction of the cost independently.  Obviously the biggest reason is the ship will wait if the tour if it runs late, screened vendors, and also the tour starts on time because tours have tender priority.  

Maybe we've just been lucky tendering with O.  We've never had an excessive wait waiting for our tender ticket color to be called, even after having the tours go first.  

Yes...that would be the possibility of the ship leaving without you, I guess.  However, I have never taken that seriously.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

What's that about "every restaurant on board...offers open seating"?

Yes, it's obviously marketing spin. Why I posted it and what I find interesting is;

A. Their description of Ember, probably an answer to the erroneous early perceptions of it on Social media, probably as inaccurate in the other direction. 

B. No mention of Polo at all. By the same token no mention of Terrace or Waves either. 

I also noticed what you mentioned and was like......What?

• Like 1

Marketing fluff of the most misleading kind.

That is one thing that drives me nuts. O will "say" one thing (e.g., you're not supposed to reserve pool loungers or you can only bring 6 bottles of wine on board) but the reality is entirely different. They won't hardly enforce their own published rules & polices AND THEN THEY PRINT THAT about "open seating" in all the restaurants. Obviously FALSE. You quickly learn your specialty reservation window opening date if you want to get a good reservation.

58 minutes ago, ORV said:

probably as inaccurate in the other direction. 

That article describes Ember's food as "American classics with a modern twist". Our experience earlier in the year would reckon that's an accurate representation. Beef and pork main courses were very good - much better than any American chain restaurant I've eaten in over the last 40+ years (so I do entirely dismiss the suggestion that it's like one). We particularly liked the room and the overall set-up - as with any restaurant, the open kitchen adds a real buzz to the space. 

Whilst we've decided that, for next year's cruise, we won't bother making a reservation for the disappointing (twice) Red Ginger, we will be looking forward to trying other dishes at Ember (and Polo & Toscana, of course).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Harters said:

That article describes Ember's food as "American classics with a modern twist". Our experience earlier in the year would reckon that's an accurate representation. Beef and pork main courses were very good... Whilst we've decided that, for next year's cruise, we won't bother making a reservation for the disappointing (twice) Red Ginger, we will be looking forward to trying other dishes at Ember (and Polo & Toscana, of course).

Begs at least two questions:

First, what are "American classics"? Is there such a thing as classic American cuisine? Fried chicken, pork chops, steak, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. For anyone who remembers an old phone book and the yellow pages, see the sections under "Chinese", "Greek", "Italian", "Mexican", "Steak", "Thai", and more. Can't say I ever remember seeing "American"!

Second, what is at Ember that wasn't at the other specialty restaurants and the TC & GDR? What specific dishes are there that weren't available previously anywhere?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Begs at least two questions:

First, what are "American classics"? Is there such a thing as classic American cuisine? Fried chicken, pork chops, steak, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. For anyone who remembers an old phone book and the yellow pages, see the sections under "Chinese", "Greek", "Italian", "Mexican", "Steak", "Thai", and more. Can't say I ever remember seeing "American"!

Second, what is at Ember that wasn't at the other specialty restaurants and the TC & GDR? What specific dishes are there that weren't available previously anywhere?

Perhaps the best way for you to answer your questions about Ember is to sail on Vista and try it first hand for yourself....then you can return with first hand positive or negative impressions

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Is there such a thing as classic American cuisine?

Absolutely. Even to this foreigner. Your country is so big that it's classics are much more diverse and interesting than we have in our smaller European countries. This Wiki article gives a good overview of traditional American cuisine. And, in the modern twists, the culinary world might well describe the food as "New American" and/or "farm to fork". Even as a foreigner who has visited your country for decades, I know the difference and appreciate the difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cuisine

As for what's at Ember that's not elsewhere, I'll leave you to look up the menus at Vistas four specialities for yourself (as I know you havent actually eaten in Ember). I go to restaurants not just because of one dish but for the whole experience. And Ember's experience brings a modernity and a buzz to the ship's restaurants that you won't find inn the other three. IMO, of course. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, basor said:

Perhaps the best way for you to answer your questions about Ember is to sail on Vista and try it first hand for yourself....then you can return with first hand positive or negative impressions

Not going to happen as long as cruises on Vista are so much MORE expensive than similar or identical ones on Riviera & Sirena. I don't pay more for same or less. I cruise for itineraries & excursions, not for ships.

26 minutes ago, Harters said:

... As for what's at Ember that's not elsewhere, I'll leave you to look up the menus at Vistas four specialities for yourself (as I know you havent actually eaten in Ember). I go to restaurants not just because of one dish but for the whole experience. And Ember's experience brings a modernity and a buzz to the ship's restaurants that you won't find inn the other three. IMO, of course. 

NO, the comparison is between the 4 specialty restaurants AND GDR AND TC on RIVIERA. Our favored alternative ship, with less expensive cruises. 

Tell someone, "Hey we spent $350-550 per cabin per night but thank god they ripped out the fancy French restaurant Jacques to put in classic American cuisine at Ember" and see what they think.

Weird how "modernity" is cited, that I've read also includes noise, rushed eating, and a table I can use while coloring with a crayon, takes precedence over the food. Hold the "buzz". At what we've paid per day, the FOOD always comes first!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

NO, the comparison is between the 4 specialty restaurants AND GDR AND TC on RIVIERA.

Don't be so silly. 

I think we're done here. But when you've sailed on Vista and actually have some experience of Ember, I look forward to you popping back for a chat. 

And, when you do, please try not to be offensive about how I judge restaurants. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

What's that about "every restaurant on board...offers open seating"?

"Open seating" is probably an outdated term that should be avoided now that most people have not experienced old-school cruising where you had a set "early" (6:30) or "late" (8:00) dining time at the same table every night. So, just like a general term like "dynamic" means something very specific when it comes to airfares, "open seating" means something more specific to cruising than the general use of the term.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

THEN THEY PRINT THAT about "open seating" in all the restaurants. Obviously FALSE.

My interpretation of open seating is that there are no set times for dining to which you are assigned, as some cruises still do.  I have never thought it meant "no reservations needed."

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, if you're going to use crayons better bring your coloring book. The tables are made of wood and the management may not like it if you start coloring on it. But give it a shot and maybe they won't care.

You've bragged over and over again about how you like your meals served fast.  You tell the waiter, no bread, here is our appetizer order and main dish order an we don't want dessert and make it fast.  I think you'd be happy with a restaurant that is very fast.  We've actually eaten at Ember and never felt rushed at all.  We were very happy with our meal.  But you've never eaten there and say we shouldn't have been happy because you don't like the concept.  

I think I am one of many who are tired of your complaining about Vista.  Once you've taken a cruise on her then you can say what you want.  Until then just keep your keyboard quiet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2