All fees included now?

1 minute ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

It was personal card and in Danish Kroner (I never choose USD as they will usually bust the conversion rate). Wow, it was a rather high-end place. I wonder how to go about getting a refund. I suppose contacting restaurant would be reasonable first step. Thank you for the information and reference!

Why not start with your credit card company and bring it to their attention.  Maybe they would persue the matter for you?  

• Like 3

@SeaMatesNYC

OK, I have gone into this a bit deeper and the relevent legislation (Payment Services Directive PSD2) applies to EU issued cards only.  Also it would appear that it was not the restaurant that charged the fee but the restaurants card processing company.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/intro/mip-online/2018/html/1803_revisedpsd.en.html

with apologies for thread drift.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a related note, CA restaurants are lobbying to get out of this “one price” requirement. Those that charge a set % for “back of house” or other “service” fees, don’t want to have to show this in the food item menu price, arguing that it makes them look more expensive. But that is exactly what they may be!  

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 4:14 PM, Banditswife said:

I also wish they would include gratuities.

I have read (on Cruise Critic) that including the Hotel Service Charge/Crew Appreciation changes it for taxes in the home countries of most who are included in its distribution -- hurting the employee.

• Thanks 1

We spent 6 weeks in Australia in January and February, both on a cruise and extensive driving land trips. In Australia all pricing has to include taxes, fees and gratuities, the price you see is the price you pay. A $100 meal will cost $100 when you pay the bill. Here in Texas a $100 meal will cost about $134, after you pay sales tax, liquor tax and a 20% gratuity. This was nice for hotels and restaurants, no hidden fess like a hotel room in the US that can add over 20% in tax and fees when you check out. We are doing a cruise in South America next March and when we were booking hotels for our trip in Chile and Argentina, prices shown included all taxes and fees. Now while booking our hotels in Montreal and Quebec City for our cruise in August I was shocked how much extra they charge for added taxes and fees, a $400 per night room can end up costing closer to $500 with taxes added.

About time the Cruise lines are forced to show pricing that includes taxes and fees. The Airline industry has been doing this for years. This new California law is one of the very few things California has done that I can agree with. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

OAs of June 21, some quotes on the major cruise TAs include fees on their site while others do not.

For me, I have a small spreadsheet:

+Cruise fare

+ Taxes and fees

+ Gratuities 

- OBC credits

I want to know the per day price before booking.

That's the way we roll also.....