Live (sort of) from the Beyond. Our last minute trip

10 hours ago, chrismch said:

Questions.for abbydancer..The "mixology & music" is a loyalty, right? How long did the band play music? What type of music was it?

What type of exercise do you do in the pool - aerobics or swimming?

Music and Mixology is a loyalty event, Elite and above.

We did it on the Edge where it was held at The Club.  We  met our friends there 10 minutes before it was to start and there was a very long and there were more wanting to attend than the space could hold.  
Music wasn’t particularly loud.  A bartender shows you how they make a particular drink then they pass out samples to everyone.  The bartender made 3 different drinks and we had samples of all. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Straughn said:

Am I correct that you are doing a B2B? The current cruise is 6- nights and then the 8-night ABC cruise? I hope that you do a “live” for that one too. My September cruise is the ABC itinerary. 

I am loving your comments about the President’s cruise and your take on LHB. You and I are on exactly the same page regarding these two topics!

My plan is to use this thread for both cruises, today is day 7, I think and tomorrow will be day 8.

And on yesterdays or todays, I'll try to post some final thoughts on doing a Presidents cruise.

12 hours ago, chrismch said:

Questions.for abbydancer..The "mixology & music" is a loyalty, right? How long did the band play music? What type of music was it?

What type of exercise do you do in the pool - aerobics or swimming?

To elaborate on the music at the event.  The band plays before the bartender starts.  They'll do a song while the waiters are passing out the samples, and maybe play some low music while he's doing his thing (not always).  They do a couple of songs afterwards, I think the number depends on when the venue is next needed.

As far the pool goes, I'm doing some physical therapy exercises to strengthen my legs (while they figure out why I'm having problems) that take about 10 minutes to do.  Honestly, the retreat pool isn't really big enough for much else.

• Like 5

Beyond Sea Day 2 June 27 

We decided not to get up in time for breakfast, but we did want to go to the Conversation with Celebrity presentation in the theater.  We had coffee and a pastry from Rudy, and then headed to the theater.  It was pretty well attended, but not full.  

The panel was Captain Leo,  Laura three names, the head of hotel, head of marine operations, and head of marketing (I forgot all their names).  Shauna hosted.  She started with some pre selected questions, mostly about XCel, which weren’t answered.  Other questions were about moving a ship to the West Coast.  Laura kept talking about needing a bigger fleet, which means no, since she’s seems somewhat committed to short Caribbean cruises.  There were a couple of questions about the status match at Zenith, specifically about Zenith events.  The answer was also punted as Laura just said things will be capacity controlled.  Whatever that means.  

The question that never came up was about the removal of tips (and OBC for suites).  I’d guess it was asked a lot in the presubmitted questions, but they probably don’t want to answer it.    Again, I thought this was an an entire softball q&a.

After that it was room and pool exercise time.  The pool was crowded today (I was hoping noon would mean it wasn’t but I was wrong).  Certainly more than the occupancy 12 listed on the rules sign.  I decided that if all these drinking people could ignore the limit so could I, and I was only going in for about 5-10 minutes.  After that, once again, I was the only person using the hot tub.

For lunch after that, I had chilled minted pea soup, which I like, and my half Luminae burger.  For dessert, I had their apricot basil, which is pretty much an apricot tart.

After lunch, back to the room to work on the blog, etc.  While doing the day I was doing, I wanted to check the daily to see if I’d done anything.  I couldn’t find it, but I did find this:

image.jpeg.b068b7ced2b6ea5c0e87f9ccf9e0f33a.jpeg

Keep in mind we boarded on the 23rd.  I hope the people for this enjoyed their last full day.

Around 3:15, I went to get a latte.  There was a long line because I guess the cooking competition had just finished.  Guess I missed it.

We relaxed for the rest of the afternoon.  During that time we did get the Roku set up, so at 6 I watched most of the US Men’s Gymnastics Olympic trials on Peacock.  We watched until it was time to leave for our reservation at Eden.  

It was a lot more crowded than when my sister and I went in February.  Maybe because this is only a 6 day cruise.  

Nova (wife of Rozi in Luminae, and my previous server) was our sever.  I did learn that she and Rozi have been extended through August, and will be home in time for their daughter to start school in September.  

She told us what to order.  We both had two appetizers.

Glen started with the Crab Cake

image.jpeg.1fe3ab9630159d1b3c94ee7c199c5804.jpeg

I had the Reuben Raclette, which I don’t see on the online menu.  It’s some kind of meat, potatoes, and veggies covered with Raclette cheese.  If I go again, I’d order it, but I’d ask them to leave off the chunks of meat and add more potatoes.  It was really good.

image.jpeg.cbc745a30e07165a782d2d2c05dd2025.jpeg

For our second starter, Glen had the Carabinero Shrimp.

image.jpeg.85c3c5cec1ec0466b3acd1f152cec43d.jpeg

And I had the truffled risotto.  Also really good, and Glen reported that both of his were very good.

image.jpeg.973a5ebccbf07c09ccbf52e86fd75a06.jpeg

We both had the beef combo - Filet mignon and mini short rib Wellington, and liked it.

image.jpeg.4adedf4b621b87f3f44ede2a57c18976.jpeg

For dessert, Glen had butterscotch cream brûlée,

image.jpeg.24d5f88459a0dce41ec49bce8034a9a0.jpeg

I had the lemon tart, which is what I think I had last time.

image.jpeg.97d4690b3f7ae9322108bf4d5d75fc1f.jpeg

Overall, it was very good, and the service great.  Glen really enjoyed it, and we’d certainly consider it again. 

After a short walk, we headed back to the room, and I watched the rest of the men’s gymnastics.  

Tomorrow is our visit to Bimini, and the last full day of the cruise.

• Like 9

Thanks for update on Nova & Rozi! We are on the Beyond Thanksgiving week so I hope they are back by then. If they have their typical two months off, they could definitely be back by then. You never know if they will come back to the same ship. Rozi was originally slated for the Ascent, but they couldn't have all the top Luminae servers go at once so he ended up back on Beyond.

We really enjoy Eden. It's our favorite specialty on E-class. 

mac_tlc

10 hours ago, Straughn said:

Is Hurricane Beryl going to affect the ship’s ability to get to the ABC’s?  Based on the current projections, it appears that Beryl might interfere with the ship’s path.

https://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-ship-swaps-port-schedule-due-to-hurricane-beryl/138500

• Thanks 2

On 6/30/2024 at 7:39 AM, Straughn said:

Is Hurricane Beryl going to affect the ship’s ability to get to the ABC’s?  Based on the current projections, it appears that Beryl might interfere with the ship’s path.

No but yesterday they did swap Aruba and Bonaire.  So we're going west to east instead of east to west.  I think the idea is to be west of the hurricane as it passes into the Windwards, and then be well south of it as we go east.  That said, this may not be a smooth ride.

Beyond Day 6, Bimini Bahamas, June 28, 2024

Today was the the Captain’s Club Resort World buyout event.  Last night, we got wristbands for our departure time from the ship (for the shuttle).  We have Tangerine bands, whatever that means.  

We got up for breakfast, since our time was 9:30.  I went light and fast with just a bagel with cream cheese.  It was fine.

We went down to deck 4 to go to the gangway, and while passing Al Baccio, I managed to trip on my shoe (I think they  stick to the floor surface.  A couple of people from Al Baccio and Daniel came and helped me up, gave me some water, and then I continued on.  I did manage to bruise one knee and skin both, but not bad.

We walked to the shuttle area.  There’s not much at the dock area, so unless you want to keep walking, you should board a shuttle.  On this cruise, the shuttle stopped at a shopping area and they told everyone without wristbands to get off.  (I don’t quite know who that is, since all you had to do to be invited is to sign up for Captain’s Club - isn’t that everyone?).  Also, there were lots of different wristbands on the shuttle, so I don’t know what that meant.

We then continued on to Resort World’s beach area.  There was a beach, two pools and some eating areas.  We snagged a couple of chairs, and I went to the pool and did my therapy things and wandered in the water for a while.

Following that, we sat in our chairs and read for a while.  We then decided we were getting bored, so we went to the buffet they had set up.  We looked at the menu,  and it was pretty good.  They did have a lot of options. Including steak and lasagna, but it was very hot so we decided we could go back to the ship and enjoy an air conditioned buffet there.  We really aren’t beach people.  We were not the only people heading back on the shuttle.  I did get a picture of the beach part on the way out.

image.jpeg.9967b6b026521ff302de8bfe71ea8988.jpeg

At the shopping area stop on the way back, a group got in behind us and we had a nice chat about how all Caribbean Islands seem the same, and how many of us do the cruises just to be on the ship.  I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

Our next stop, once we walked back to the ship (they do have a shuttle to the end of the pier, was to drop our stuff and go to lunch.  Today it was a French buffet, and so I had beef bourgeon and rice and it was yummy.  

The next thing after lunch (in the dead spots in the review I’m usually in the room working on this.) was to go to afternoon tea in the lounge.  Our butler suggested we talk to the concierges about our room swap.  Of course they knew about it.

We ended up spending about an hour  chatting with a couple who it turns out is a friend of a friend, and knew a lot of the same staff I do (they are of course Zenith).  It was very pleasant. 

We eventually went back to the room, and I watched some of the gymnastics Olympic team trials.  Today was the woman’s meet (and in this case there actually are some women competing, not just teens. In this case of the 7 gymnasts (including the 2 alternates) all but 2 are 20 or above, and Simone Biles is closer to 30 than 20.  That’s like 100 in women’s gymnastic years.

After that we went to dinner.  Tonight I had their tomato soup, which is quite good and the grilled filet mignon.    I decided to try the almond cake for dessert.  

Sorry I don’t have more on Bimini, there didn’t seem to be a lot there.  I did see some shops and restaurants by where the shuttle stopped, and there seems to be lots of nice beaches. 

Tomorrows update (which I’m hoping to post tonight), will likely have some thoughts on the President’s cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I did manage to bruise one knee and skin both, but not bad.

I hope it turns out to be nothing but keep and eye out for pain and stiffness later in the day. 

4 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

We were not the only people heading back on the shuttle. 

We've only been to Bimini once and were not impressed.  We are not beach people either so we rode the cart to Restore World, did not get off, continued on to the free public beach at the end of that road, stepped off the cart, quickly looked around and got back on the cart and went back to the ship. 

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope it turns out to be nothing but keep and eye out for pain and stiffness later in the day. 

We've only been to Bimini once and were not impressed.  We are not beach people either so we rode the cart to Restore World, did not get off, continued on to the free public beach at the end of that road, stepped off the cart, quickly looked around and got back on the cart and went back to the ship. 

Sounds exactly like what we did in Bimini.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

John, you are my people.  

And 3 days later, my knees are healing.  I was surprised they weren't stiff from it.  A little pain, but not much.  Thanks.

And Briton says hi.  He speaks highly of you.

• Like 1

Today is turnaround day, the end of the President’s cruise and the start of a normal cruise, we hope.

Since we are changing rooms, we do need to vacate by around 8, so we decided to go to breakfast.  We’d done most of our packing last night, so it was a matter of packing up electronics and our toiletries and other last minute things into the suitcases.  

While doing that, I went to the balcony and watched luggage operations.

image.jpeg.4982d02450aea634b0a79f2ed6761a2e.jpeg

Rudy did bring coffee which was nice while we were packing.  We finished well before 8, so went to breakfast.  I had a nice little cheese omelette, and Glen asked for banana pancakes.  They have run out of bananas, so he got caramel sauce.  Presumably, they will have them later today.

We finished breakfast around 8:40, so we had about 1/2 hour until our meeting time in the Club. We went to the lounge to hang out until it was time to go.

Once at the club, two of the concierges were there, handing out our new key envelopes.  Apparently non suites met at Fine Cut or somewhere.  We were told to use our old keys to get back on the ship.

At about 9:30, we all followed Aveno to the gangway, and gave them our cards on the way out (Not sure exactly why they do this to b2bs only).  We went to a waiting room in the terminal (not the suite area, just a room with chairs.  Soon after the non suites joined us, and we sat with loose moose, who we had met on the Solstice.  It was nice seeing them again.

After about 10 minutes of waiting, we went to the luggage claim area and CBP stations.  They use facial recognition, so that went quickly.  We then continued through the terminal and onto the gangway where we used our new cards to get back on the ship.  We were back on just after 10.  

We first headed to our new room.  There was no sign on the door, but the door was ajar, so we figured it wasn’t ready for us.   So we went back to the lounge, where there was just us and one other couple.  No one else, including concierges.  

After about 15 minutes, one of the concierges arrived.  I’d spent the waiting time figuring out my specialty dining, including my birthday dinner tomorrow night at La Voyage.  Because I’d asked about it on the last cruise, I think I had one at 8 and one at 8:30.  We left the one at 8:30.  We also booked Fine Cut and Rooftop Garden.    We did Eden on the last cruise.  We have Fine Cut on the last night, which I usually won’t do, but I really don’t like the last night’s menu.

At about noon, we went back to the room.  Now it had the sign on saying they were preparing it, and we could drop our stuff.  So we put our stuff in the safe, and I dropped my purse, and headed back to the lounge.  We met Frank, our room steward on the way back.  He shared that Edy (previous cruise) had shared that we liked extra towels and there would be four of each.  Thank you Edy!  Our luggage had  arrived, but I’m not sure where it goes exactly.  I’d always assumed directly room to room, but it wasn’t there when we checked at 10.

At about 12:30 Glen left figuring the room was ready and he could take a nap.  He didn’t come back so I assume he could do that.  At 1 pm, I went dow to get him.  We went to lunch and there were lots of jokes about being new, and how it works.

Today’s lunch menu is the usual 2nd day menu.  It does have my favorite dessert, but I’m sure many people were disappointed about no lobster roll.  (I think it’s now on the last day).  I had the broiled feta salad (they tell me the asparagus is broiled.  OK)

image.jpeg.b27d40803ffd5d0e77806fedfa295259.jpeg

For my main I had the petit filet mignon, which was cooked pretty well and good.

image.jpeg.7c08aaf31cf961ffce32e792bf543aaa.jpeg

Usually on day 1 I have some Prosecco.  They were out of that, too.

After lunch we went back to the room and finally unpacked.  It was pretty easy, since we didn’t have to think about where to put stuff - just back to where it was in the old room.  We also met our butler Godfrey, and asked for coffee in the AM (we’ll call), and potato chips in the afternoon.

After that I watched the men’s gymnastics trials, until there was an issue with peacock.  (I confirmed that by watching something on Hulu). 

While watching we heard the Love Boat theme, it was the horn of the Enchanted Princess heading out.

image.jpeg.3b0ec0868e1692ca59ee187d1c67b93c.jpeg

At some point during all this we sailed away.  I watched it from the balcony.

image.jpeg.0dff58373d22288b8d5bb6f9d7b9d526.jpeg

We had lots of boats around us.

image.jpeg.41e0765a29e0c3dbdde08c73ea3c764d.jpeg

And somebody on shore who may be a Celebrity fan.

image.jpeg.4425ff609aa69c8d34e50b0f1977e91a.jpeg

We pretty much watched the gymnastics until time for a drink in the lounge and then dinner.  Tonights dinner - the same menu as last night, including the amuse bouche.  It was kind of funny.    Since I’d had the steak last night, tonight we both tried the Tamarind Glazed Chicken.  It was OK.  Lots of Groundhog Day jokes.

image.jpeg.9f4a0a2e76d77e71fa9e3835d67ef94a.jpeg

At lunch, we both asked for carrot cake for dessert at dinner, and it was provided.

After that, called it a night.  Cruise 2 is underway.

Abbydancer... If you hadn't switched rooms, would you have been able to stay on the ship? Or did everybody have to disembark? Only did a B2B once, a few years back, and just had to change out my card and could stay on the ship