Welcome Aboard Offer for new to Crystal with bonus offer of free laundry

Stickman1990

16 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

It's not just clean laundry. It's the lack of drudgery on the part of the passenger to get it.

In my mind, laundry may not be free but it still doesn't cost me anything, I use shipboard credit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

It's not just clean laundry. It's the lack of drudgery on the part of the passenger to get it.

Paying a mere pittance % of your cruise fare to have your laundry done by Crystal is drudgery?

Those of us who do our own laundry do not consider it drudgery. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Samurai Sago said:

If I dropped off my laundry in Vancouver, on August 21 for example, could I pick it up in San Francisco on August 24?

As a guest, or as a Californian?

7 hours ago, Tubthumper down said:

I am not 100% sure that I know what Samaroy Sago means, but if it is what I am thinking, I hope he doesn't forget his ticket in San Francisco!!!

Which might move tricky.

13 hours ago, May B said:

Paying a mere pittance % of your cruise fare to have your laundry done by Crystal is drudgery?

Drudgery? Now I would consider doing dishes as drudgery, but in the realm of drudgery, I would consider laundry the least. Open the lid, drop in the clothes, close the lid, push the button  and you're done. How hard is that?

On 7/9/2024 at 8:41 AM, Txcotn said:

Drudgery? Now I would consider doing dishes as drudgery, but in the realm of drudgery, I would consider laundry the least. Open the lid, drop in the clothes, close the lid, push the button  and you're done. How hard is that?

This is a funny discussion, so I just have to ask…. Is that really easier than the dishes? 😊 These days in the post-pre-rinse world, I’d argue that the dishes are easier than laundry — I’ve never to to press or fold the dishes once dry.  😁 Sadly, I want to make a joke about how it’s harder to break clothes than dishes, but I’ve probably ruined more clothes doing laundry over time than broken dishes cleaning them.  Lol. Being a klutz transcends materials!

Personally, I think which you find more tedious depends on your personality traits.  😊 

Vince

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That's funny, Vince. When I think of dishes I see all the pots and pans and serving pieces plus plates etc on Christmas day with just 6 people! First you have to take care of the leftovers, then scrape the  plates, load the dishwasher, scrub the sink, do the good silver and the crystal by hand, then hope your husband will volunteer to do the pans...and then you have to put all that stuff away!... vs throw the underwear in the machine, push a button and it's done. I guess I'd rather handle clean clothes (you can sort and fold while sitting!) than dirty dishes. As you correctly point out, it depends on your personality. As for the ironing part, I send them out. I ironed large shirts with 37" sleeves when we were young and poor so now that we're better off, I take them to the laundry.😁

• Like 5

I step into this “dynamic” and “spirited discussion” with some trepidation.  I only do so as we just cruised Crystal for the first time to Alaska.  It was awesome in every way…even with the “free” laundry offer.  

So here goes…We have had free laundry on Celebrity but never use the 2 bags.  

On Serenity we sent out 4 dress shirts for pressing on embarkation and OMG they came back better than our local laundry.  Just perfect.  We will pay in the future for this excellent service.  We sent one laundry bag out on Saturday morning around 10 am and received it back on Monday around 5 pm…just in time for our final packing.  Perfectly laundered and beautifully folded tee shirts, underwear and socks.  But given the 2.5 day TAT and comments on the ship, it seemed to me the laundry was dealing with a large workload.  Other comments….we loved loved loved the self service laundry.  Good machines, easy to use, ironing boards, Bounce fabric sheets, etc.  I do the laundry at home and there are some items I don’t send out.  This was perfect.

As said previously I don’t believe anything on a cruise ship is “free” since it is a factor of the cruise fare IMHO.  We will definitely use the laundry in the future and gladly pay for it, or use OBC.  

Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bob, we too really appreciate Crystal's pressing.  The turn-around is great as is the attention to detail. We also appreciate the dry cleaning service too.  And you don't have to get in your car to drop off and pick up the items.

I also appreciate the laundry rooms.  And on our last time on Symphony we had a suite that had a combo washer/dryer which was very convenient.  

I've always appreciated that the washers/dryers on Crystal are full size ones and the other amenities you noted including the size of the room.

Keith

• Like 1

Vince, you need to get inclusive dish and pot washing at home and if you can't paper plates/bowls and plastic forks and meals delivered to you so no pots to clean.  😂

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2024 at 6:49 PM, May B said:

You misunderstand. Doing it myself is drudgery. Putting the stuff in the machine is the least of it. Lugging it down the hallway, finding a free washing machine, waiting until it's finished. Hoping there's a free dryer, putting it in there, waiting again. A good 2 hours devoted to all that. That's why I do it in the middle of the night.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

You misunderstand. Doing it myself is drudgery. Putting the stuff in the machine is the least of it. Lugging it down the hallway, finding a free washing machine, waiting until it's finished. Hoping there's a free dryer, putting it in there, waiting again. A good 2 hours devoted to all that. That's why I do it in the middle of the night.

I put it in, go to breakfast. Go back to put it in the dryer, go to a comfy place (sometimes the Bistro) to do my games and puzzles. Go get it just in time to take it back to cabin and go to the 10 a.m. lecture. What a life!

I must admit I was lucky to find an available machine.

But did upset my own apple cart (twice, in fact) when I didn’t actually TURN IT ON! Kinda frustrating to come back to find out I was an idjit. Have done that at home a few times, too. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. Mr B thinks I have ADHD, but my testing just showed “within normal limits”.

Edited by May B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

My routine is super easy.

Get up early. Some would say middle of the night.

Place wash in washing machine.

Go exercise.

Come back a couple of minutes before it ends.

Place items in the dryer with the exception of those that do not need to be dried.

Bring those back to the room.

Go exercise.

Return before dryer finishes.

Bring items back to the room.

And exercise or do other things.

I do find though that with less guest capacity  should we need to wash things other times that it has not been a problem.  And some of this like most things varies by cruise including length and port versus sea days.

One funny story but years ago back when Anne Marie was in charge of this.  Most people take clothes from one washer and place them in one dryer.

Anne Marie is in the room with one other lady. She has two loads going and Anne Marie has two.  No one else has anything so at that point no dryer is in use.

Ladies wash done first and she proceeds to place her wash from two washing machines into five dryers. This would leave Anne Marie without a dryer.  

You can't make this stuff up.

Keith

• Thanks 1

I am nervous to book the suite with it’s own washer and dryer as DH may feel like doing the wash at 3 am.

He does like the Crystal laundry rooms as he can do the wash at 5 am. Some cruise lines lock their laundry rooms until 7 am. Fortunately Regent has included laundry and we now get included laundry on Silversea with their match rccl match. 

DH takes a load to the machine on his way to the fitness center, puts in the dryer on his way back, showers and dresses and goes and gets it, and I have the pleasure of folding, takes five minutes. If it needs ironing, we send out, so all we're washing ourselves is underthings.

If you hate laundry so much, pack why not more clothes so you don't have to laundry, you can do it all when you get home.😎 Yes that might mean more luggage, but that's what porters are for.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Emdee said:

I am nervous to book the suite with it’s own washer and dryer as DH may feel like doing the wash at 3 am.

He does like the Crystal laundry rooms as he can do the wash at 5 am. Some cruise lines lock their laundry rooms until 7 am. Fortunately Regent has included laundry and we now get included laundry on Silversea with their match rccl match. 

I loved that room.  But because it's in the room we had so much flexibility when to use it.

One warning. The clothes take a lot longer to dry as this is a combo washer/dryer. We knew that as my late sister in law lived in Scotland so we had washed clothes there when visiting.

Yes we very much appreciate the Crystal laundry rooms being 7x24 and I feel the same way about the Fitness Centers on Crystal ships being 7x24.

Keith

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My routine is super easy.

Get up early. Some would say middle of the night.

Place wash in washing machine.

Go exercise.

Come back a couple of minutes before it ends.

Place items in the dryer with the exception of those that do not need to be dried.

Bring those back to the room.

Go exercise.

Return before dryer finishes.

Bring items back to the room.

And exercise or do other things.

I do find though that with less guest capacity  should we need to wash things other times that it has not been a problem.  And some of this like most things varies by cruise including length and port versus sea days.

One funny story but years ago back when Anne Marie was in charge of this.  Most people take clothes from one washer and place them in one dryer.

Anne Marie is in the room with one other lady. She has two loads going and Anne Marie has two.  No one else has anything so at that point no dryer is in use.

Ladies wash done first and she proceeds to place her wash from two washing machines into five dryers. This would leave Anne Marie without a dryer.  

You can't make this stuff up.

Keith

Egads.

• Haha 1

Sometimes I sit in one of the chairs and read or listen to music while the machines do their thing.

I’ve long been tempted to have room service deliver a glass of champagne 🥂 to the laundry room. Haven’t had the nerve to do it, but what a touch of luxury while performing a menial chore…

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

Sometimes I sit in one of the chairs and read or listen to music while the machines do their thing.

I’ve long been tempted to have room service deliver a glass of champagne 🥂 to the laundry room. Haven’t had the nerve to do it, but what a touch of luxury while performing a menial chore…

Years ago Regent had one of their frequent guests parties in a laundry room. 

• Haha 4