Our fantastic Arvia cruise June 9th- June 23rd

8 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Thanks I’ve just looked on their website and definitely another option to consider.

We have family close by so we use them even when we’re not cruising. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

We stayed at holiday  inn, it's fine but no better than a Premier Inn. So my thinking now is either spend more for Grand Harbour or save and go Premier Inn. 

Do Premier do the same cruise package as HI, with parking and transfers included? Might have a look if so. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Do Premier do the same cruise package as HI, with parking and transfers included? Might have a look if so. 

No they do not. Best used with alternative parking or taxi. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
no changed to not

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

If I remember correctly they don’t even have a car park. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sandancer said:

Newcastle with Loganair. 

We miss Flybe.

It is also impossible to get a non stop train from Durham to Southampton.

Now we stop usually near Doncaster then the following morning drive to Southampton and stay overnight in Southampton before going to the cruise terminal the next day.

IMO the Grand Harbour Hotel is much better than Premier Inn Harbour Parade and breakfast is included in the price and lovely lounge's including outside to sit and relax.

Let the hotel know you are coming for a special birthday when staying there.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Parking is advised now by Premier Inn Harbour Parade in the Multi storey car park behind the hotel.

I have used this car park several times and it costs £6 per day.

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We miss Flybe.

It is also impossible to get a non stop train from Durham to Southampton.

Now we stop usually near Doncaster then the following morning drive to Southampton and stay overnight in Southampton before going to the cruise terminal the next day.

IMO the Grand Harbour Hotel is much better than Premier Inn Harbour Parade and breakfast is included in the price and lovely lounge's including outside to sit and relax.

Let the hotel know you are coming for a special birthday when staying there.

Thanks Graham. We also miss Flybe but have found Loganair an acceptable alternative. If we were driving we would also have an overnight break in both directions so by the time we pay for those plus fuel plus parking it costs way more than the Loganair flights. Usually takes around 50 mins and the luggage is on the belt within minutes. You note that I say belt. There is only one at Southampton. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Parking is advised now by Premier Inn Harbour Parade in the Multi storey car park behind the hotel.

I have used this car park several times and it costs £6 per day.

Went up to £7 on Monday. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just back from a short-notice cruise ( no option to use CPS) brought on by the miserable weather and the thought of 4 weeks of politics in the media. We usually use CPS and travel the day before but the road works & hold ups have made the journey pretty miserable the last few times. As mentioned by another poster, the direct train from NE England to Soton no longer runs (strangely it did continue to run for a short time after the cessation: we did one journey where it morphed from one service into another at New St. We stayed in the same seat all the way but we travelled on two services - this was before split ticketing became the thing.) Now you definitely have to get off the train in the Midlands. Also, the CC trains were pretty grim…squashed & often with overflowing loos. We have also used sleeper to Euston (from Scotland) or NE England to KK but both of these involve trekking across London with luggage.

This time we tried a new tack. We looked out our biggest suitcase and filled it with both of our clothes. It took a bit of jiggling and the dress shoes (male, size 10s ) had to be worn rather than packed to get below the 23Kg limit & we rang Baggage Handling  Co. & they picked up our case three days before sailing- the next time we saw it was when it was outside our cabin door. We still travelled down the day before and had a small wheelie case for overnight & electronics etc. We booked rail travel via London and crossing KK to Waterloo was a doddle with the small wheelie case. Of course cost comes into it but to our surprise the NE—> Sou rail fare via Birmingham was ~£70 more (with railcard) than the fare via Lon. This almost ( well, about 75% ) covered the cost of the Baggage Handling Co. Our case was returned three days after disembarkation. 
We enjoyed the lack of hassle & would use this method in future. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info. I have also booked the Baggage Handling co for our cruise in August. We will only travel with a small bag, enough for an overnight stay. Glad it worked out so well for you. 

21 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

No they do not. Best used with alternative parking or taxi. 

Will stick with HI then. Have used it over 50 times with no problems. Cruise package is very good but price does vary a lot depending on date and can't park there during boat show.

Sand

29 minutes ago, sandancer said:

One question Ranchi. Was it easy to hand your luggage back to the company on disembarkation. I assume there is a van (?) outside the terminal. Thanks. 

You need to pick up your case as usual in the baggage hall & take it through customs yourself. Once through customs there is the BHC van right at the door as you leave the terminal. The driver checks you off & tells you the date of your delivery (with an approx time of day.) On pick up & delivery the driver pings you a text about 30mins before arrival.  
pour pick up & re-delivery were both on a Weds (Sat sailing & disembarkation.) 

All staff cheerful & helpful. 

I’m lucky enough to live only a 10 min drive from the terminal. But today I witnessed the cheapest parking solution. Having noticed a very nice Mercedes soft top parked opposite my house for the past week, I looked out at 7am to see two couples transferring their luggage(it was obvious, they still had luggage labels attached!) to said car and driving off. 
I also live close to 3 schools and the general hospital, all of which struggle to provide parking for their workers. So local street parking is needed. If someone can afford a soft top merc and a cruise, why on earth don’t they just pay up for cruise parking?  It’s so selfish. 

• Like 5