? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

58 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Maybe people who are in the pool or hot tubs shouldn't try to reserve a lounger.  

When you to the pool or hot tub, you give up the lounger.

No one has a right to a lounger.

NCL gives X number of minutes for guests to leave items in the lounger. As long as the person returns within X minutes, the items and the chair shouldn't be disturbed.

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

On a hot day I want to enjoy the pool, then sit on a lounger to read and relax.  While in the pool, I will leave my shoes, bathing suit coverup, book, and towel on the chair.  Maybe people who are actually in the pool or hot tubs, should put a sign on their chairs stating where they are.

Where you are when away from the lounger doesn't matter. How long you are away from the lounger is what matters.

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL gives X number of minutes for guests to leave items in the lounger. As long as the person returns within X minutes, the items and the chair shouldn't be disturbed.

Where you are when away from the lounger doesn't matter. How long you are away from the lounger is what matters.

These discussions/conflicts will continue until it is recognized that when you leave the lounger, it is no longer your lounger.

• Haha 1

Look the idea that soneone gets to hold a lounge chair so it's waiting for them after they come back from breakfast, a 30 minute soak in the pool or a workout in the gym is selfish and rude.   I have zero issue with a companion holding your chair for you while you do other things and they sit in a chair next to your chair.  But aside from that, you get up, your chair is no longer yours imo.  Solves the issue immediately.  The only chair that's yours is one you are sitting in our your companion is holding for you from their chair they are sitting in.  Problem solved.  

You want a reserved chair?  Pay for a cabana.    

Edited by caterpa

2 minutes ago, caterpa said:

Look the idea that soneone gets to hold a lounge chair so it's waiting for them after they come back from breakfast, a 30 minute soak in the pool or a workout in the gym is selfish and rude.

NCL, who owns the ship, allows a certain amount of time away from the lounger. The amount of time can vary but NCL makes it clear how much time a person has. It may not be the amount of time that you agree with but the person who does what NCL allows isn't being selfish nor rude. 

The people who leave for longer than NCL allows are the selfish and rude chair hogs. 

5 minutes ago, caterpa said:

I have zero issue with a companion holding your chair for you while you do other things and they sit in a chair next to your chair.

Before leaving, the person will just make a new friend and say "....if anyone asks, just say that you're friend will be back in xxx minutes...". Even if a best friend is there, if the person that leaves is gone for longer than NCL allows, the chair should be up for grabs. Friend or no friend, the time limit is impartial. 

8 minutes ago, caterpa said:

But aside from that, you get up, your chair is no longer yours imo.

You opinion contradicts what NCL allows. 

9 minutes ago, caterpa said:

Solves the issue immediately.

Abiding by what NCL allows actually solves the issue. The people who drop a towel at dawn and don't return until after lunch are the problem as they are going against what NCL allows. The people who go into the pool, into the hot-tub, to the buffet, etc. and return before exceeding the allowed time are not the problem. 

12 minutes ago, caterpa said:

The only chair that's yours is one you are sitting in our your companion is holding for you from their chair they are sitting in.  Problem solved.  

Solo guests would have a big problem in that scenario. 

Sorry but there is no problem.   If you aren't in your seat it isn't your seat. 

I get it that this isn't ncl policy.   This is a discussion forum.  People get to discuss things here. 

Clearly you are one of the people that feels like a chair is yours.   I do not.   

If an empty chair is no ones chair, one doesnt need to worry about saving a chair. One will always be available in my solution for people will always be up doing things giving up seats regularly.   

The problem is, and I have cruised many times,  the 15 minute rule isn't enforced as much as it should be and those of us that give up our chair when we leave have to make 40 laps around the deck to find a chair again once we are ready to sit awhile.   

I can't count how many times if seen a pair  of stray sandals, the newest Jodi Pecault book and a towel with a towel clip on a chair for hours with no one around.  

This game of getting up at 6 am and holding 4 chairs with 4 towels and shoes while one is at breakfast is beyond inconsiderate.   

BUT it sounds like the cruise lines are doing something finally about what is easily the WORST part of cruising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes that's exactly what she should do.   That and bring a tote bag to haul all her stuff to the bathroom with her.  Or you stay up there with her and hold her chair. 

Heres the thing.   It works like this in a normal system …..Go to the bathroom prior to getting a chair.  A normal persons bladder fills about 100-150 mls an hour. Most people therefor can go about 3 hours at least between bathroom breaks.  That's more than enough time to occupy a chair.  If she wants to use the bathroom and resume sitting she can get in the back of the defacto chair queue. 

Sorry to be difficult but this idea that exists exactly no where else without paying for the privilege,  that because a person gets to the deck early that they get an all day poolside chair is hogwash. 

PAY for a reserved chair in Vibe or get a cabana.    I shouldn't have to pay to keep your wife from being in a chair from 10 am to 4 pm.  Privilege comes with cost.  It should not come from a sense of entitlement.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, caterpa said:

Yes that's exactly what she should do.   That and bring a tote bag to haul all her stuff to the bathroom with her.  Or you stay up there with her and hold her chair. 

Heres the thing.   It works like this in a normal system …..Go to the bathroom prior to getting a chair.  A normal persons bladder fills about 100-150 mls an hour. Most people therefor can go about 3 hours at least between bathroom breaks.  That's more than enough time to occupy a chair.  If she wants to use the bathroom and resume sitting she can get in the back of the defacto chair queue. 

Sorry to be difficult but this idea that exists exactly no where else without paying for the privilege,  that because a person gets to the deck early that they get an all day poolside chair is hogwash. 

PAY for a reserved chair in Vibe or get a cabana.    I shouldn't have to pay to keep your wife from being in a chair from 10 am to 4 pm.  Privilege comes with cost.  It should not come from a sense of entitlement.   

Wow.  Really?  Why are you beating up on my Wayward friend?

Edited by EngrJones

No it isn't him.  Its the system and because some abuse it others feel they now have to to get a fair shake.   Spirals on and on. 

I would never go to a park and put a book and a bag on a park bench and expect it to be there when I decide I want to sit again after my hike.  Or my bathroom break. 

Or a towel on a restaurant chair at 10 am so my friends and I could have a sunset view from a prime table at 8 pm.   

The other issue is, the person who's chair you asked the staff to vacate, eventually returns and often a confrontation ensues.  Which is bad for everyone. 

I think the only real solution is, the only chair that's yours is the one you're sitting in or you've paid to reserve.  

If more courtesy was shown, this wouldn't be an issue. Except it is which means there is a general lack of courtesy which surprises no one. 

Ok. I've beat this to death. I'm out but I'll follow along.    I would love cruising so much more than I already do if this one huge issue would go away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, caterpa said:

I get it that this isn't ncl policy.   This is a discussion forum.  People get to discuss things here. 

OK, I get it.

You're stating what you would like the NCL policy to be instead of what the actual policy is. Sure, people can discuss alternatives to what the current policy is but since there is no system that would make everyone happy, every possible idea will have people who disagree with it. 

If an empty chair is no ones chair, one doesnt need to worry about saving a chair. One will always be available in my solution for people will always be up doing things giving up seats regularly.

If people fear that their seat will be taken the instant that they get up, people will more than likely sit in the chair for extended periods of time. As pointed out earlier in this thread, someone sitting in a chair for hours can do so without being called a chair hog but if that person goes into the pool for 5 minutes while leaving a towel on the chair, other people will see the towel on the chair and complain. 

The problem is, and I have cruised many times,  the 15 minute rule isn't enforced as much as it should be and those of us that give up our chair when we leave have to make 40 laps around the deck to find a chair again once we are ready to sit awhile.

What part would you like to see enforced? If everyone followed NCL's policy, your chair would still be yours after you get up provided that you return in time. If you don't return in time, someone else will get the chair that you had. Once again, the problem is the people who leave items in a chair for longer than the allowed time. 

I can't count how many times if seen a pair  of stray sandals, the newest Jodi Pecault book and a towel with a towel clip on a chair for hours with no one around.  

This game of getting up at 6 am and holding 4 chairs with 4 towels and shoes while one is at breakfast is beyond inconsiderate.

We AGREE that those people are the problem. We disagree on what NCL should do in order to solve that problem. You seem to want to punish those who follow the rules in order to also punish those who do not follow the rules. I would rather NCL enforce the rule which only punishes the chair hogs. 

• Like 1

Let us remember that "chair hog" is nothing more than a derogatory term used to villianize someone for doing what you want to do...except they got there before you did.

Think of a small ship with only 11 guests. There are 10 chairs on the deck. As long as the number of occupied or reserved chairs is 9 or less, "chair hogs" don't exist. However, once chair #10 is occupied, guest #11 calls EVERYONE else a "chair hog"...simply because they have what he wants.

In the Vibe, there are no assigned/reserved chairs. Unless you've paid for a cabana, all seating is "first come, first served" yet there are NEVER "chair hogs" in the Vibe.

15 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Let us remember that "chair hog" is nothing more than a derogatory term used to villianize someone for doing what you want to do...except they got there before you did.

That's not how I use the term but I have seen the term used by others in the exact way that you describe. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

We AGREE that those people are the problem. We disagree on what NCL should do in order to solve that problem. You seem to want to punish those who follow the rules in order to also punish those who do not follow the rules. I would rather NCL enforce the rule which only punishes the chair hogs. 

Those people aren't the problem.  The problem is NCL's policy on saving loungers. It should be obvious that policy isn't being enforced and won't be enforced.  Time for new policy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Those people aren't the problem.  The problem is NCL's policy on saving loungers. It should be obvious that policy isn't being enforced and won't be enforced.  Time for new policy.

It isn't the people in the chairs or the policies...its the policy-karens who (whether they admit it or not) enjoy "enforcing" rules and policies on others. Just read the thread and see how many people are actually talking about the policy and the enforcement of the policy. We see people constantly claim that people drop stuff on a chair at dawn and don't return until lunchtime...well, how can you possibly KNOW that unless you are there at dawn to witness it and you stay there until lunchtime to verify that the person never returned? So odd that some people are monitoring other people to this extent.

Follow the rules!! Follow the policy!! This is exactly why many people end up hating HOAs....

2 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

It isn't the people in the chairs or the policies...its the policy-karens who (whether they admit it or not) enjoy "enforcing" rules and policies on others. Just read the thread and see how many people are actually talking about the policy and the enforcement of the policy. We see people constantly claim that people drop stuff on a chair at dawn and don't return until lunchtime...well, how can you possibly KNOW that unless you are there at dawn to witness it and you stay there until lunchtime to verify that the person never returned? So odd that some people are monitoring other people to this extent.

Follow the rules!! Follow the policy!! This is exactly why many people end up hating HOAs....

Good points except for  this.  It isn't necessary to monitor a particular lounger from daylight till noon to notice that the same pile of stuff was there continuously during that time.  Same lounger, same stuff, stuff undisturbed, hasn't moved, never a person in the lounger.  Circumstantial evidence but evidence none the less.  

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Same lounger, same stuff, stuff undisturbed, hasn't moved, never a person in the lounger.

If the items were moved (folded towel gets used and is now a damp balled up towel), would you feel any differently? 

Take the following scenario....

Bill gets up at 6am and places a folded towel on lounger A.

Ted gets up at 6am and places a folded towel on lounger B.

Bill goes back to bed to take a 4 hour nap.

Ted goes to the buffet to get a coffee.

You walk by at 6:05am and see the 2 loungers with the folded towels. 

After his coffee, Ted goes into the hot tub for 15 minutes then returns to his chair. He uses his towel and balls it up before throwing it back onto the chair. Ted then goes into the pool for 15 minutes.

If you walk by again at 6:25am and see a folded towel on lounger A and a balled up towel in lounger B, would you believe that there are 2 chair hogs or only 1?

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If the items were moved (folded towel gets used and is now a damp balled up towel), would you feel any differently? 

You can come up with all sorts of hypotheticals but the bottom line remains.  If you're not in the lounger, you shouldn't believe it's your lounger.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You can come up with all sorts of hypotheticals but the bottom line remains.  If you're not in the lounger, you shouldn't believe it's your lounger.

NCL allows it whether you like it or not. That's the part that's the actual bottom line. 

For whatever reason, NCL allows items in an otherwise empty chair to remain. The guest that gets up to walk to the bar for a drink still has a lounger when he returns 10 minutes later.

10 hours ago, caterpa said:

Yes that's exactly what she should do.   That and bring a tote bag to haul all her stuff to the bathroom with her.

That's just foolish. Never gonna happen.

What does she do when she takes a quick dip in the pool to cool off? Bring everything with her to the edge of the pool? You post a lot of words, but I don't think you've actually thought it through.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Good points except for  this.  It isn't necessary to monitor a particular lounger from daylight till noon to notice that the same pile of stuff was there continuously during that time.  Same lounger, same stuff, stuff undisturbed, hasn't moved, never a person in the lounger.  Circumstantial evidence but evidence none the less.  

Except of course that if you aren't continously monitoring then you can't say with 100% certainty that someone didn't stop by the chair while you weren't looking.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Take the following scenario....

Bill gets up at 6am and places a folded towel on lounger A.

Ted gets up at 6am and places a folded towel on lounger B.

Bill goes back to bed to take a 4 hour nap.

Ted goes to the buffet to get a coffee.

You walk by at 6:05am and see the 2 loungers with the folded towels. 

After his coffee, Ted goes into the hot tub for 15 minutes then returns to his chair. He uses his towel and balls it up before throwing it back onto the chair. Ted then goes into the pool for 15 minutes.

If you walk by again at 6:25am and see a folded towel on lounger A and a balled up towel in lounger B, would you believe that there are 2 chair hogs or only 1?

If Bill and Ted are involved, it will be an Excellent Adventure.

• Haha 2