? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

I don’t consider a person a chair hog if he leaves his belongings on the chair while actively using any of the facilities at the pool. Swimming, hot tub, bathroom, getting a drink at the bar, etc.

Nor do I consider him a chair hog if he wants to sit by the pool in the same chair for two hours and  sleep, read, socialize, etc.

What  I do consider a chair hog to be is those  who get up at 7 am, while the family is still sleeping, and  put their belongings on a row of chairs to be used by the family after they get up and have breakfast.  Then they saunter back to the pool around 10am, expecting that their chairs are still there.

Perhaps this could be stopped by not allowing people to leave their belongs on chairs anytime before say 9am, unless they are physically in the pool area?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No, the way that the policy is, you CAN walk away from the chair and leave your items behind. When you return, the items are still there and the chair is still yours to use. Nobody should touch your items/chair if you return within the time limit. The amount of time that you can be gone will vary by ship.

How long will  you continue to defend a policy that isn't working?

50 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's easy to defend the policy, because it's a great policy that any reasonable person should understand and agree with. Unfortunately, no ship, on any cruise line, consistently enforces their own policy.

The policy isn't the problem -- enforcement is.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Stating what the policy is does not equal defending what the policy is.

If someone asks what the speed limit is on a particular section of the interstate, there will be a correct answer. Some people might drive faster and never get a ticket. Some people might want the limit raised. Some people might want the limit lowered. Some people might want more enforcement of the current limit.

What people want isn't always what is.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

It's easy to defend the policy, because it's a great policy that any reasonable person should understand and agree with. Unfortunately, no ship, on any cruise line, consistently enforces their own policy.

The policy isn't the problem -- enforcement is.

Since the policy isn't being enforded, then it should be changed to something that can be, will be enforced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Since the policy isn't being enforded, then it should be changed to something that can be, will be enforced.

Yes, that's the conundrum, isn't it? What equally reasonable policy, other than a time limit, could be put in place that can be enforced?

4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Yes, that's the conundrum, isn't it? What equally reasonable policy, other than a time limit, could be put in place that can be enforced?

As I've stated before, if you get up and leave the lounger, it's no longer your lounger and anyone can take it.  No saving, no reserving. Also applies in the theater where there have been reports of two people saving an entire row of prime real estate while the rest of their party is having dinner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

As I've stated before, if you get up and leave the lounger, it's no longer your lounger and anyone can take it.  No saving, no reserving.

And round and round we go. That is completely unreasonable for anyone who has to use the bathroom, get a drink, or takes a quick dip in the pool to cool off. 

And how do you propose someone takes that lounger? By moving someone else's stuff? How do you think that's going to work out?

I know you to be a reasonable man. Please try again.

3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

And round and round we go. That is completely unreasonable for anyone who has to use the bathroom, get a drink, or takes a quick dip in the pool to cool off. 

And how do you propose someone takes that lounger? By moving someone else's stuff? How do you think that's going to work out?

No, it's perfectly reasonable to anyone who isn't one who wants to reserve their lounger while they're enjoying other things.  If the policy is no reserving a lounger, why would there be stuff there?

9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

One other point.  I can't remember ever being on a ship where all the loungers were taken.  Sure, the one's around the pool were always full but many just a bit away from the pool were available.  So, it comes down to this: if you leave the lounger and it's take by someone else, then find another lounger.  

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

One other point.  I can't remember ever being on a ship where all the loungers were taken.  Sure, the one's around the pool were always full but many just a bit away from the pool were available.  So, it comes down to this: if you leave the lounger and it's take by someone else, then find another lounger.  

Why didn't the "taker" just use one of the available ones?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, it's perfectly reasonable to anyone who isn't one who wants to reserve their lounger while they're enjoying other things.  If the policy is no reserving a lounger, why would there be stuff there?

I thought we were talking about enforcement, and whether a policy is or isn't enforced.

If your policy wasn't followed, and needed to be enforced, how do you think that having staff remove the belongings of every.single.person who steps away from their chair will be enforced better than a simple time limit?

Edited by Wayward Son

50 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I can't remember ever being on a ship where all the loungers were taken.  Sure, the one's around the pool were always full but many just a bit away from the pool were available.

I agree, which is why my wife isn't a chair hog. She just takes whatever is available when she arrives. However, she absolutely expects that if she takes a bathroom break, her chair will be there when she gets back. As well she should, because that's NCL policy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I thought we were talking about enforcement, and whether a policy is or isn't enforced.

If your policy wasn't followed, and needed to be enforced, how do you think that having staff remove the belongings of every.single.person who steps away from their chair will be enforced better than a simple time limit?

If there's no right to save a lounger, if it's known that items left behind will be removed, no one will leave their belongings.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If there's no right to save a lounger, if it's known that items left behind will be removed, no one will leave their belongings.

Sure. And in the surreal, utopian world you envision, we will all be in the Haven; and lobster, crab legs, caviar, and beef wellington will be available on demand. 😆

And you're forgetting that exactly what you wrote above is already policy, only with a time limit. So, why would a true chair hog conform to your rule if they aren't conforming to the current rule? And that gets us back to the beginning: enforcement.

7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Sure. And in the surreal, utopian world you envision, we will all be in the Haven; and lobster, crab legs, caviar, and beef wellington will be available on demand. 😆

And you're forgetting that exactly what you wrote above is already policy, only with a time limit. So, why would a true chair hog conform to your rule if they aren't conforming to the current rule? And that gets us back to the beginning: enforcement.

First of all, I can't stand liver so keep the beef wellington.

No, it isn't policy.  Current policy allows saving loungers for a period of time.  I wrote that saving loungers wouldn't be allowed.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wrote that saving loungers wouldn't be allowed.

Yes, you keep writing that. But you are giving no reasonable, logical answers to why you think your policy can be enforced better than the current policy.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I'm so glad I don't use the pool on a ship.  I had no idea I was missing so much drama. 

Same here. Maybe we could add table hogs in the buffet to the discussion to make it more relevant to more of us LOL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Yes, you keep writing that. But you are giving no reasonable, logical answers to why you think you're policy can be enforced better than the current policy.

Simply because  you don't like the policy of no reserving loungers does not mean it's unreasonable.  The no reserved loungers is easier to enforce since, it is simpler, no loopholes, no exceptions, no questions about time limits, etc.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Same here. Maybe we could add table hogs in the buffet to the discussion to make it more relevant to more of us LOL!

It's the same issue, some feel they are entitled to hog tables in the buffet, hog loungers, and hog seating in the theater.   

• Like 1