Can Canadians join AARP for cruise OBC?

On 7/3/2024 at 10:59 AM, lots-of-km2 said:

One major disbenefit is the email bombardment that AARP starts once you join. Several junk emails a day, no exaggerating -- not only from AARP but from a lot of third parties.  Opting out of the emails and unsubscribing doesn't seem to stop it completely.

That’s why I have a junk mail email address. I never use my personal email to sign up for anything deemed unimportant. AARP is one of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP, I had stated that I would come back and report once I had booked onboard.  The process was seamless.  The OBC appeared on my invoice and my Canadian TA didn't even know that this benefit existed.  The only reason I knew that it was there was because my OBC was $200 more than my DH's and there was no other reason that would be so.  I had mentioned it to the future cruise agent onboard and she just said that anything I would be entitled to would be included and it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, poffles said:

For those that have done this, is or can the cruise still be booked in CAD or does this require it to be fully US currency booking.

From everything I've read, including this thread, there is no USD booking  requirement.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, poffles said:

For those that have done this, is or can the cruise still be booked in CAD or does this require it to be fully US currency booking.

No requirement to book in USD. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our HAL cruise in CAD, using the big box discount travel agent that sells hot dogs for $1.50. I joined AARP a month or two later and went through the confirmation process and later sent an email to HAL.

The USD OBC showed up within a few hours.

When looking at pricing for future cruises - I see both the Shareholder's OBC and AARP OBC listed as a benefit at booking time.

• Like 3

Could you post the  HAL’s email address that you sent your AARP credit request to?  I sent my email to HAL’s Guest Relations and they responded that because my inquiry was a pre cruise issue , then they could not help me. They said to contact the reservations department, but they didn’t give me an email address. Thanks if you can help.

24 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Could you post the  HAL’s email address that you sent your AARP credit request to?  I sent my email to HAL’s Guest Relations and they responded that because my inquiry was a pre cruise issue , then they could not help me. They said to contact the reservations department, but they didn’t give me an email address. Thanks if you can help.

I had an issue with the Educators’ credit.  (AARP credit was not a problem as all I had to do was send the info to my PCC.)

I sent an email with a screenshot of the acceptance email, my mariner account information, and the booking # with ship and sailing date. They responded within a few days confirming the OBC.

Reservations_Submit@hollandamerica.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone for contributing to this thread. I got a membership yesterday and sent it to my pcc.  She verified me and submitted the info. I'll have $200 for my next 2 cruises  I wasn't going to bother but I'm glad I did thanks to this thread.

• Like 4