Soft Drinks/Bottled Water Question

Aoumd

Sailing on my first crossing this winter.  I see that Cunard is more generous than my previous mainstays Carnival or Royal Caribbean in terms of bringing waters and sodas on board, as Cunard has no posted limit for non-alcoholic drinks (just, technically, one liter of alcohol). 

My question is: Do these have to be brought on board in my carry-on bags or can I pack bottled of water and sodas in my checked luggage at the embarkation port? 

Any information would be great so I can pack accordingly.  Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Aoumd said:

Sailing on my first crossing this winter.  I see that Cunard is more generous than my previous mainstays Carnival or Royal Caribbean in terms of bringing waters and sodas on board, as Cunard has no posted limit for non-alcoholic drinks (just, technically, one liter of alcohol). 

My question is: Do these have to be brought on board in my carry-on bags or can I pack bottled of water and sodas in my checked luggage at the embarkation port? 

Any information would be great so I can pack accordingly.  Thanks!

You would be wise to pack/take any bottles of 'Liquid' onboard in your carry-on luggage . 

If you have ever witnessed loading of our luggage ( dozens of suitcases thrown on top of each other) you'll understand .   Unlike travelling by Air there are no restrictions of liquids in hand luggage . 

Edited by Bell Boy

It can go in via either route but hand luggage will give a greater chance of avoiding a soggy outcome. Note that currently one can have 6 bottles of fizzy and/or still Harrogate water for $20. One litre glass bottles.

Edited by Pushpit

Instead of the $20 for the bottles, is it possible to just go to the King's Court and fill up with filtered & chilled water there, and bring it to your cabin any time?   24/7?

Edited by Kordy

2 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Instead of the $20 for the bottles, is it possible to just go to the King's Court and fill up with filtered & chilled water there, and bring it to your cabin any time?   24/7?

Yes, kings court is open for water and juice ( and tea and Coffee) 24 hours, you also have room service 24/7

The two other tips (one I read here recently)

1) Water cooler in the gym

2) In Britannia / Club / Grills restaurants you can ask for a jug of ice water to go.

In Grills it's not needed since the water bottle is replenished in the room anyway.

Great tips!  I love optimizing and even though I can afford it, it should not be necessary to pay $20 just to have water in your cabin on an all-inclusive vacation.

It sounds like there are plenty of good options to have access to high quality drinking water on QM2:

- King's Court 24/7 - can refill with chilled filtered water any time, just bring your own bottle

- Water Cooler in the gym - maybe it's even better quality of water than King's Court

- ask for a Jug of Water to go from Britannia after dinner - this is a new one on me (very inventive!) and it's great if you don't have a water bottle, as you can then use that jug for later refills from King's Court

This means I'm all 100% sorted for drinking water without needing to pay $20.  That $20 you just saved me, will go towards an excursion or specialty restaurant.  Thank you !

Edited by Kordy

You can’t fill your own water bottles direct from the machines in Kings Court. You would need to fill up glasses then pour the water into  your bottle. There are notices reminding you of this and sometimes crew members on duty at the machines. I am not sure what you mean by an all inclusive vacation. To me that implies drinks are included which except for juices, tea and coffee in Kings Court, all other hot,cold,alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks are for purchase either pay as you go or via a drink package. 

Edited by Winifred 22

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

You can’t fill your own water bottles direct from the machines in Kings Court. You would need to fill up glasses then pour the water into  your bottle. There are notices reminding you of this and sometimes crew members on duty at the machines. I am not sure what you mean by an all inclusive vacation. To me that implies drinks are included which except for juices, tea and coffee in Kings Court, all other hot,cold,alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks are for purchase either pay as you go or via a drink package. 

I meant all-inclusive vacation, without the alcoholic drinks.  Water, coffee, tea & juice are included and you can even have espresso or cappuccino in MDR with dinner or breakfast.  I'm not much of an alcohol drinker and wife & I will bring 2L of red wine on-board for that rare occasion that we may want an alcoholic drink.  It looks like everything else is fully included in the all-inclusive, without any packages needed.

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pushpit said:

2) In Britannia / Club / Grills restaurants you can ask for a jug of ice water to go.

In Grills it's not needed since the water bottle is replenished in the room anyway.

And from Room Service

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Neither in Club category , bottled water is now also complimentary .😉

• Like 2

Just now, Kordy said:

Thank you. Is ordering water from Room Service free of charge for Britannia passengers?

Yes. I ordered ice-water when ordering my meal one night. I probably should have said “water — with ice” because when it arrived I got.. a glass of ice. 😂 

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

Thank you. Is ordering water from Room Service free of charge for Britannia passengers?

Room service is free, with some upcharged items, Beers etc - This is quite old but I think still pretty current for QM2, QE & QV - QA has a different room service menu with more upcharging

Room_Service.pdf

Thanks all for the updated comments!  I guess I'll just bring aboard my choice of sodas (and maybe <1 litre of my chosen alcohol if I wish) and a reusable water bottle that I can reload through room service (or from cups at the Kings Court).  Not also bringing bottled water should make my drinks carry-on a bit lighter, while bringing aboard sodas should keep my wallet a little heavier.

Looking forward to my first crossing in a few months!

On 6/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, Kordy said:

Thanks to a previous tip from Rakkor we now order a jug of iced water daily from room service (free of charge) when staying in Britannia cabins - along with sliced Lemon/limes if required and cabin steward provides the ice bucket!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

Thanks to a previous tip from Rakkor we now order a jug of iced water daily from room service (free of charge) when staying in Britannia cabins - along with sliced Lemon/limes if required and cabin steward provides the ice bucket!

It took us many, many cruises to discover that it was possible, we only found out on our last cruise in Britannia last September