Need help deciding between Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - slightly different itineraries

2011mom

I'm planning a southern Caribbean cruise for December, and it's down to 2 choices: Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. I'm looking to not spend a lot, so oceanview rooms.

From what I've read, the Summit is the better ship all around. And, it's considerably less expensive for an OV cabin than the Rhapsody.  But, the itineraries are a little different. They both leave from San Juan and visit St Maarten and Bridgetown.  The Summit also goes to St John/Antigua, St Lucia, and Dominica. The Rhapsody goes to St Croix, St Thomas, and St Kitts.

I love snorkeling, hiking, outdoor activities. Which cruise should I pick? And, any cabin recommendations for OV cabins? I'm posting this in both Celebrity and RCCL forums. Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, 2011mom said:

I love snorkeling, hiking, outdoor activities

In this case, I would say Summit as it goes to Dominica and St. Lucia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2011mom said:

I'm planning a southern Caribbean cruise for December, and it's down to 2 choices: Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. I'm looking to not spend a lot, so oceanview rooms.

From what I've read, the Summit is the better ship all around. And, it's considerably less expensive for an OV cabin than the Rhapsody.  But, the itineraries are a little different. They both leave from San Juan and visit St Maarten and Bridgetown.  The Summit also goes to St John/Antigua, St Lucia, and Dominica. The Rhapsody goes to St Croix, St Thomas, and St Kitts.

I love snorkeling, hiking, outdoor activities. Which cruise should I pick? And, any cabin recommendations for OV cabins? I'm posting this in both Celebrity and RCCL forums. Thanks in advance!

I have cruised both ships and visited most ports…

Rhapsody is lower key/older RC ship so none of the entertainment/activity bonuses that RC ships often offer that Celebrity don’t. However, she is a well designed ship and we enjoyed our cruise on her. It would be interesting if someone on the RC board could comment on when she was last upgraded. 

Whilst Summit is an older ship too she did get a significant upgrade a few years ago. If you were booking a suite I would say go for Summit as her suite offerings are better than RC on Rhapsody. Obviously this isn’t relevant to you but maybe to others following this post.

Personally, I would go with Summit as generally we find food in all venues better on Celebrity than RC and food is an important part of my cruise experience! If the cruise is cheaper too that leaves more money for snorkelling trips!

Both itineraries are lovely, I would happily do either.

Finally I would advise you look at private snorkelling trips rather than ship organised on either line…Also although many happily simply grab a taxi in port and head for a beach in our experience many of the islands (having holidayed on some as well as cruised to) don’t have their best snorkelling off the beach you are better on a boat trip. If you join the roll call for whichever ship you eventually choose hopefully you can join some fellow cruisers with similar interests to arrange hiking tours etc with.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful Caribbean cruise whichever ship you choose!

• Like 2

We did a transatlantic on the Rhapsody in 2017 and it was in pretty bad shape ,

we have never been on Summit and have done Connie after November for 16 nights 

I would pick Connie and wouldn’t even look at RCL 

Posted (edited)

We’ve been on both ships and visited all those ports many times. My pick would be Summit, for that itinerary.

A few adventure suggestions:

Barbados - www.sailcalabaza.com

Antigua - www.adventureantigua.com

Dominica - do a google search for Devon Grenway. I know he is available through tours by locals, but may book independently, too. Let him know you like to hike, Dominicais a great hiking destination.

St.Lucia - contact IslandDivers about their day package. They are at Anse Cochon, on the marine park, and the snorkeling is very good. We don’t dive, but they have a good snorkeling package. 

Edited by Miss Vickie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Vickie said:

We’ve been on both ships and visited all those ports many times. My pick would be Summit, for that itinerary.

A few adventure suggestions:

Barbados - www.sailcalabaza.com

Antigua - www.adventureantigua.com

Dominica - do a google search for Devon Grenway. I know he is available through tours by locals, but may book independently, too. Let him know you like to hike, Dominicais a great hiking destination.

St.Lucia - contact IslandDivers about their day package. They are at Anse Cochon, on the marine park, and the snorkeling is very good. We don’t dive, but they have a good snorkeling package. 

I second the recommendation for Sail Calabaza in Barbados.  Have sailed with them several times.  Limited to 12-13 guests and they actually sail the sailboat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Easy decision. Summit. She was revolutionized/upgraded a few years ago.

And she is BEAUTIFUL!!  St Lucia is my very favorite island, if I were to cruise to the Caribbean again, it would have to be on the itinerary.

1 hour ago, raudacruise said:

I second the recommendation for Sail Calabaza in Barbados.  Have sailed with them several times.  Limited to 12-13 guests and they actually sail the sailboat. 

February was our 9th time sailing with them!

• Like 1

If you love to snorkle, be sure to do Champagne Reef in Dominica.  One of our favorites.  It's like swimming in a champagne glass!  And difinitely the Summit.  We've done several cruises on her and love it every time!