Hurricane Beryl

MBP&O2/O

Another storm that hasn't read the books!

The hurricane climatology adage “June, too soon; July, stand by; August, come they must; September, remember; October, all over” 

Highly inaccurate as this year proves 😄

As on 30 June ..

Caribbean nations are warning residents to make emergency preparations with a powerful and potentially deadly hurricane strengthening further as it moves towards them.

Beryl, the first named hurricane of the season, is due to make landfall over a number of islands late on Sunday.

The hurricane has been upgraded by forecasters to a "very dangerous" category three storm - meaning it is predicted to have winds of 111-130mph (179-209km/h).

Hurricane Beryl has now (Sunday, June 30th) reached category 4 strength, making it the earliest category four hurricane on record for the Atlantic season.

Hurricane Warnings are in effect for Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada in the Windward Islands.  

The National Hurricane Center states that the storm is expected to remain strong as it moves across the Caribbean and those with interests In Hispaniola, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and the remainder of the northwest Caribbean should monitor its progress.  174331_key_messages_sm.png

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

Guest BeyondMe

Beyond just changed course to call into Aruba first instead of Bonaire.  Regardless, they will be experiencing strong winds.  Looks like Captain Leo is taking the ship as fast as he can to cut across Beryl's projected path.  I was just on this itinerary 2 weeks ago.

18 hours ago, tidecat said:

This is going to get messy for those scheduled to call at Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Progresso around July 4-5.

I-am-just-off-Enchantment-June22nd.

They-are-in-Cozumel-today-and-scheduled-for-Belize-tomorrow.

They-were-then-scheduled-for-Costa-Maya-and-Roatan-no-Progresso.I-am-not-sure-what-ships-would-be-going-there.
After-Belize,-I-would-be-surprised-if-Enchantment-stayed-anywhere-around-the-Yucatan.

On-our-sailing-although-TS-Alberto-was-way-north-we-met-up-with-wild-weather.
Missed-Costa-Maya-as-winds-were-higher-than-25-miles.

For-two-nights-the-ship-rocked-side-to-side-and-forward-and-aft.

My-dresser-drawers-banged-open-and-shut-along-with-the-closet-doors.

I-was-on-deck-8-but-my-balcony-was-drenched-in-sea-water-from-the-high-waves.

We-sailed-through-squalls-with-torrential-rain-and-high-winds.

I-hope-all-in-the-path-of-Beryl-come-though-in-good-condition.

• Thanks 1

I can't find a forum about weather, so I'll post this here.

Hurricane Beryl has caused havoc in Genada as it makes its way westward.

Expected to travel almost due west through the southern Caribbean Sea, it should be mid-way between Puerto Rico and the ABC islands Tuesday morning (July 02). Wednesday afternoon it may hit Jamaica directly, after passing to the south of Hispaniola. Friday afternoon it should hit the Yucatan east coast, then begin to fizzle out, as it crosses the Bay of Campeche before dying out near Poza Rica, by Tuesday July 09.

This website has a useful article on hurricane weather preparedness here.

Be prepared.

Best,

Canuker.

7 minutes ago, Canuker said:

I can't find a forum about weather, so I'll post this here.

Hurricane Beryl has caused havoc in Genada as it makes its way westward.

Expected to travel almost due west through the southern Caribbean Sea, it should be mid-way between Puerto Rico and the ABC islands Tuesday morning (July 02). Wednesday afternoon it may hit Jamaica directly, after passing to the south of Hispaniola. Friday afternoon it should hit the Yucatan east coast, then begin to fizzle out, as it crosses the Bay of Campeche before dying out near Poza Rica, by Tuesday July 09.

This website has a useful article on hurricane weather preparedness here.

Be prepared.

Best,

Canuker.

@Canuker

Your thread has been moved to the Hurricane Zone 2024 forum and merged into the current Hurricane Beryl thread.

3 minutes ago, Canuker said:

OK, thank you HK. I'm glad there is a specific forum for this important topic.

You are most welcome and glad to be of service!

Please note this is a temporary forum just for Hurricane Season. LauraS, Senior Manager Community, sets it up to reappear yearly.

• Like 2

What are the conditions (now and near future forecast) for Curaçao?

We have family there for a one-week land trip.

(They don't tend to monitor "communications" unless it's an emergency, and I don't want to call and perhaps alarm them, etc.)

I think they are supposed to fly back to the USA on Thursday (04 July).

Thanks!

And we were both so sad to learn where the trajectory of this really powerful storm was heading.  IIRC, it's not that common for major hurricanes to be so far south as, say, Barbados...??

GC

Beryl should go north of Curaçao, but there could be some rough surf on the north coast, so swimming or snorkeling on that side of the island could be rougher than normal. It should be well past them before their flight home on the 4th.

Yes, Beryl has hit some islands that don't see many hurricanes.

25 minutes ago, 2blueyam said:

Beryl should go north of Curaçao, but there could be some rough surf on the north coast, so swimming or snorkeling on that side of the island could be rougher than normal. It should be well past them before their flight home on the 4th.

Yes, Beryl has hit some islands that don't see many hurricanes.

Thanks.

Alas, it seems Beryl has morphed into Category 5 hurricane.

(WIth all of the weather changes - and not just in the Caribbean - I'm guessing it won't be too long before the powers that be decide that there needs to be a "Category 6" for hurricanes... unfortunately.)

GC

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What are the conditions (now and near future forecast) for Curaçao?

We have family there for a one-week land trip.

(They don't tend to monitor "communications" unless it's an emergency, and I don't want to call and perhaps alarm them, etc.)

I think they are supposed to fly back to the USA on Thursday (04 July).

Thanks!

And we were both so sad to learn where the trajectory of this really powerful storm was heading.  IIRC, it's not that common for major hurricanes to be so far south as, say, Barbados...??

GC

I don't think I'd be too concerned if I was on Curaçao. Choppy seas and some wind on the windward side of the island. Some cloud as Beryl passes to the north but sunny weather should return after noon on Tuesday.

39 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

Thumbnail

Thanks.  I'm sure the cruise ships are all avoiding Jamaica after today, but those paths are all too close to favorite hangout Cozumel.  I imagine they'll have to cancel or delay those stops, along with Costa Maya and Belize.  Roatan stops are definitely at risk, as are - later on - ships sailing to/from Galveston and/or New Orleans.  We'll see what happens. 🙏

• Like 1

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.