LIVE from QM2 June 29 to July 6

Kordy

2 minutes ago, Kordy said:

i would say that yes the majority did seem "content" and when spoken to, they seemed happy... but remember, it's their job to smile, seem content and be nice. 

It will be interesting to make a comparison Celebrity to Cunard. Every crew member we came in contact with in April seemed genuinely to enjoy their job. I had conversations with 2 housekeepers who seemed to be enjoying the cruise as much as I was! (One with the thankless job of ladies room attendant) 45 days and counting until our Cunard voyage....

We've known many crew members for years.

You cannot take our (UK) standards and practices and foist them on other nations.

Many crew members earn more than they could dream of back home. Indeed, one who we knew for many years, was in precess of buying a second home to rent out.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kordy said:

But remember, it's their job to smile, seem content and be nice.  What they really think behind the scenes, it's hard to tell. 

I think that's the point, having seen the crews quarters I can't imagine how anyone would be happy spending months onboard in those cramped conditions, I think I'd rather do the long hours than spend untold hours locked in the crew cabin.

Celebrity is much more class focused than Cunard.   Other than the large areas for Retreat guests, they also return to the ship on a different line with a Red Carpet.   They also reserve seats in the theater with Butlers taking them to the special seats.    It is very much “in your face”.   On Cunard everyone returns to the ship and no one is given the red carpet treatment.   There is no class restriction outside of the restaurants, the concierge room (no windows and not sought after), and the grill deck.    The grill lounge for drinks is a small area with no view other than life boats.   We have often met friends not in grills to have drinks there but much prefer the Commodore Lounge.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Celebrity is much more class focused than Cunard.   Other than the large areas for Retreat guests, they also return to the ship on a different line with a Red Carpet.   They also reserve seats in the theater with Butlers taking them to the special seats.    It is very much “in your face”.   On Cunard everyone returns to the ship and no one is given the red carpet treatment.   There is no class restriction outside of the restaurants, the concierge room (no windows and not sought after), and the grill deck.    The grill lounge for drinks is a small area with no view other than life boats.   We have often met friends not in grills to have drinks there but much prefer the Commodore Lounge.   

From your description I assume you are talking about QM2: the Grills Lounges on the Vistas are lovely. As for QA…

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Crikey, Cunard are falling down on their red carpet stuff!  Must put in a complaint to Cunard Central!!😄

Don’t forget to complain about the rust too!

Just now, NE John said:

Don’t forget to complain about the rust too!

Naw, it's red so can't moan about the lack of red on a carpet but then moan about red on the ship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Naw, it's red so can't moan about the lack of red on a carpet but then moan about red on the ship!

Our cabin on QA had specks of rust. Shows she is a proud Cunarder.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, S1971 said:

I think that's the point, having seen the crews quarters I can't imagine how anyone would be happy spending months onboard in those cramped conditions, I think I'd rather do the long hours than spend untold hours locked in the crew cabin.

You've never worked on a ship then.... your cabin, no matter how small, is a sanctuary and your cabin mates are the most important part of serving in a ship... your shipmates.  And you always go ashore with them, too. The first goal being to pay for and choose your own food and drink. As long as it's not "ship food."  I shared a cabin with three cadets, half my age, and we always had shore leave together. 

Working on a ship is not being a galley slave. If you're young, especially, it's... a great experience. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

You've never worked on a ship then.... your cabin, no matter how small, is a sanctuary and your cabin mates are the most important part of serving in a ship... your shipmates.  And you always go ashore with them, too. The first goal being to pay for and choose your own food and drink. As long as it's not "ship food."  I shared a cabin with three cadets, half my age, and we always had shore leave together. 

Working on a ship is not being a galley slave. If you're young, especially, it's... a great experience. 

Is there any video of how the crew spaces and cabins look like on QM2 and more on what happens behind the scenes?  I would love to see how the crew really lives and whether their food is close to decent.  Do they have nice rest areas?  a good gym?  TV room?  Free Internet?

Background: I wanted to do the Behind the Scenes tour of the QM2 during my cruise last week and have asked for it and was prepared to pay the $120 they want for it (used to be free before COVID!), but I was told on this cruse, it's not offered.

• Like 2

Now, that would be interesting.... I think the average crew cabin on QM2 is, of course, inside and two-berths, and 120 sq ft (which sounds about the size of Tourist Class cabins I shared on FRANCE, RAFFAELLO and STEFAN BATORY). Public showers/toilets. And pretty sure, at least on QV/QE, only two per cabin for most. Better than sharing it with three 16-year-olds for three and a half months...

I often talk to the crew about their food, etc. and most say it's outstanding (and why I wish they would have a crew galley offering at least a lunch on our menu especially if you like Indian or Filipino food) and they do have evening parties etc.  But the no. 1 thing crew do off duty: laundry and.... sleep!!!  I don't think they notice their surroundings.  QV/QE have a crew basketball court and there is a gym, too.  I imagine QM2 must as well. 

Biggest improvement for crew is, of course, smart phones and internet access... our PG dining room steward, whom we've sailed with before, shared his wife's birthday with us... "live" in... Manila.  The old days of the queue for the phone box and "calling cards" is long gone! 

Personally, I would not want a "behind the scenes" tour that includes any crew spaces... to me that's their only private sanctuary... away from us!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

No I haven't, did I say I had?

What I said is, having seen the crew quarters I can't imagine how anyone could be happy spending months onboard in those cramped conditions and I'd rather do the long hours.

I of course bow to your superior knowledge, but given the conversations I've had with crew, they've never gone as far to say it's a great experience, quite the opposite in fact.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Now, that would be interesting.... I think the average crew cabin on QM2 is, of course, inside and two-berths, and 120 sq ft (which sounds about the size of Tourist Class cabins I shared on FRANCE, RAFFAELLO and STEFAN BATORY). Public showers/toilets. And pretty sure, at least on QV/QE, only two per cabin for most. Better than sharing it with three 16-year-olds for three and a half months...

I often talk to the crew about their food, etc. and most say it's outstanding (and why I wish they would have a crew galley offering at least a lunch on our menu especially if you like Indian or Filipino food) and they do have evening parties etc.  But the no. 1 thing crew do off duty: laundry and.... sleep!!!  I don't think they notice their surroundings.  QV/QE have a crew basketball court and there is a gym, too.  I imagine QM2 must as well. 

Biggest improvement for crew is, of course, smart phones and internet access... our PG dining room steward, whom we've sailed with before, shared his wife's birthday with us... "live" in... Manila.  The old days of the queue for the phone box and "calling cards" is long gone! 

Personally, I would not want a "behind the scenes" tour that includes any crew spaces... to me that's their only private sanctuary... away from us!

Most of what you are saying is pure speculation then and not based on facts

Using terms such as "I think", "most say", "I imagine", " I don't think", "pretty sure" suggests you don't actually know but are assuming.

Edited by S1971

42 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

So why don't YOU find out for yourself? I am "pretty sure" you can do that, no?

All of the crew I spoke with on QV shared a two berth cabin btw. 

But I have found out, I've seen a crew cabin and stand by my previous comments  they are very cramped and certainly don't compare to passenger cabins.

It certainly doesn't make me an expert, but I'm inclined to believe that when crew say it's a job, that's exactly what it is a job and not a "great experience" as you claim.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, S1971 said:

But I have found out, I've seen a crew cabin and stand by my previous comments  they are very cramped and certainly don't compare to passenger cabins.

It certainly doesn't make me an expert, but I'm inclined to believe that when crew say it's a job, that's exactly what it is a job and not a "great experience" as you claim.

Not sure how you were allowed to see a crew cabin on a Carnival U K ship ? And genuinely interested how you did. As crew areas are out of bounds to guests unless you were visiting a crew member on a pre booked day day pass and even  then I am not sure you are allowed in the accommodation areas. The cabins too will vary depending on your role on board. My last cabin steward on QM2 was about to retire after 40 years service and he was telling me he was by far not the only one onboard with such long service. Another time my lovely waiter told me he shared a cabin with his wife who was a cabin steward. They had worked for Cunard fo 12 years.  I assume if you stay in a job for 40 years it can’t be that awful. If you notice many crew members have fake gems on their White Star or Shine badges denoting 5  10 years service etc.. Many to be seen and I always make a point of asking how many contracts/ years have they done ? There are a few videos on you tube showing crew cabins. Some lines have single cabins but shattered a bathroom. I personally would not want to see their living areas  as I see it as an invasion of their privacy. Crew areas are their homes for up to 9 months not an attraction or entertainment opportunity for me. I am sure most regular cruisers on here would not assume crew cabins would be in any way similar in size or amenities to passenger cabins, I don’t stay in hotels but would imagine hotel accommodation for staff is of a similar calibre.

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Not sure how you were allowed to see a crew cabin on a Carnival U K ship ?

The circumstances as to why I was allowed in a crew cabin are so bizarre, I doubt you'd believe me, but I'll try to explain.

I wasn't there voluntarily, it was to do with French immigration, my identity and the need to have an interpreter, the crew member being the nominated person.

In short someone who was wanted by French Authorities had used my details to enter the Country despite being banned, why I was interviewed in the crew members cabin, I'll never know why but I was, fortunately all was resolved but an experience I would not want to happen again.

I told you it was bizarre 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S1971 said:

The circumstances as to why I was allowed in a crew cabin are so bizarre, I doubt you'd believe me, but I'll try to explain.

I wasn't there voluntarily, it was to do with French immigration, my identity and the need to have an interpreter, the crew member being the nominated person.

In short someone who was wanted by French Authorities had used my details to enter the Country despite being banned, why I was interviewed in the crew members cabin, I'll never know why but I was, fortunately all was resolved but an experience I would not want to happen again.

I told you it was bizarre 🙂

Yes bizarre it certainly was. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kordy said:

Is there any video of how the crew spaces and cabins look like on QM2 and more on what happens behind the scenes?  I would love to see how the crew really lives and whether their food is close to decent.  Do they have nice rest areas?  a good gym?  TV room?  Free Internet?

Background: I wanted to do the Behind the Scenes tour of the QM2 during my cruise last week and have asked for it and was prepared to pay the $120 they want for it (used to be free before COVID!), but I was told on this cruse, it's not offered.

The behind the scenes tour was $120 before Covid, and well worth it. But, in order to respect their privacy, you did not see any of the crew’s private or recreational spaces.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

Our daughter worked on a few ships. She always had a single cabin with WC/shower.

Others were 2 to a cabin, and some 4 to a cabin with shared facilities.

No, you can't compare the rooms to QG, but they were perfectly adequate.

The Ventura:

image.thumb.jpeg.fce4e56b432b9b297a0a330ad95be7d0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Our daughter worked on a few ships. She always had a single cabin with WC/shower.

Others were 2 to a cabin, and some 4 to a cabin with shared facilities.

No, you can't compare the rooms to QG, but they were perfectly adequate.

The Ventura:

image.thumb.jpeg.fce4e56b432b9b297a0a330ad95be7d0.jpeg

Adequate single for some maybe but still extremely small, but given the cabin has a pull down bed suggests it's a two birth cabin, I couldn't imagine myself wanting to be in there with another person for any length of time.

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

and if anyone wants to look at typical crew quarters, just google 'what are crew areas like on a cruise ship' you tube and there's at least one excellent video which is pretty comprehensive and the contributor has a couple of videos to watch too.

2 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Adequate single for some maybe but still extremely small, but given the cabin has a pull down bed suggests it's a two birth cabin, I couldn't imagine myself wanting to be in there with another person for any length of time.

No, I wouldn't want to live like that either but again, many folk have a far better life at sea than the small villages in,say, the Philippines and a huge plus, many finance their whole family by working like this and I heard this personally,  from staff we've interacted with over the years.

• Like 4