Live from the Land of Princess

I have a tip!

If you are cruising solo and need a friendly greeting at any point in your trip, get on the elevator and press the button for deck 12.

The elevator will say “aloha” to you! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 23

Halifax

This morning I asked the first room steward I saw what the thing on the wall is. He asked if it was near the hair dryer. I said yes. He said it is an electrical something (his words) for the hair dryer.

I had eggs for breakfast. Of course I also savoured a honey lavender latte since I am now addicted. Once ashore, I went to the information booth in Terminal 22.

Me: I’d like to walk to the garden, please

Info guy: ok would you like to take a horse drawn carriage?

Me: blink blink

IMG_6527.thumb.jpeg.3e7e2cde3fabad4edf12711cb4c0d76b.jpeg

Heading out of the port toward the Halifax Public Gardens I made a swift detour when I saw the sign for the Halifax Public Market. I love markets and will always stop for markets. The market did not disappoint and I had a great conversation with the man who developed the dog treats.

IMG_6580.thumb.jpeg.ba3b4f7261fc644001f7d64fec2021f0.jpeg

In search of bubbles (for blowing, not bathing) I went to Superstore which is adjacent to the Westin hotel. They don’t carry bubbles anymore but I picked up (and paid for) some much needed hair goop.

In Superstore I watched a woman walk into a mop. She turned around and apologized. That’s how polite Canadians are!!

Today’s weather report is courtesy of this overheard conversation between a dad and young daughter

Daughter: Daddy, why didn’t we take the car?

Dad: because it’s a beautiful day!

Doing the flags at Government House

IMG_6471.thumb.jpeg.b6d44548645e6d5fe4def39f66e1cc19.jpeg

The Canadian Embassy

IMG_6483.thumb.jpeg.fc8408b12b69dd690a793ea1fddb66ef.jpeg

Big old church

IMG_6478.thumb.jpeg.e7ae39c693c4f9ded74e5adec597acb2.jpeg

Old Burying Ground

IMG_6479.thumb.jpeg.e1c364fc930f60843c0d8455ce2ba8e5.jpeg

IMG_6474.thumb.jpeg.f4cad8c49c38a216e8ce04037fa4c557.jpeg

Canadian defiance at its best

IMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.f31f47a3bf4f7cf59eadd7cc9c83efd0.jpeg

I thought maybe if I walked with eyes down focused on my phone I may look up and there would be a studmuffin coming toward me.  Some people get a studmuffin.

Others get this

IMG_6496.thumb.jpeg.c36ff69afd54028fa4df1e13a276d43b.jpeg

I love Halifax

I love the old brick juxtaposed with the modern sleek design

IMG_6545.thumb.jpeg.ea9f962975885ab34c860ccc3af0c302.jpeg

The graffiti and the signs

IMG_6544.thumb.jpeg.4bfc2f770aa3ae9f0c6180a5d1c55699.jpeg

The red Adirondack chairs lining the waterfront providing solace for picnickers and peace seekers 

The whole waterfront

IMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.23838e9e8fa41ca8cb625771fa43a047.jpeg

the pubs

IMG_6574.thumb.jpeg.e595b51c0cbce8dfa96973b4b3ed3c7c.jpeg

all the flowers

IMG_6546.thumb.jpeg.51f050c9137de7a48d48921e24d28212.jpeg

I didn’t even go to the garden!

I kept thinking how peaceful it is here on a Sunday. Then the Glyn Hughes song Whiskey on A Sunday led to this 

IMG_6543.thumb.jpeg.79304ac6e7dcd6a2f1e74aea2272b3ac.jpeg

IMG_6573.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Crooners has this great musician. He sings the oldies and the old people sing along. 

I’m here now, sipping Bourbon and Spiced Pear and will update the late afternoon and evening later.

IMG_6584.thumb.jpeg.11e837b0bc63ea6e79d4bf838a5728f7.jpeg

IMG_6582.thumb.jpeg.4acf42ce7e84a2e2fd8bca7a7958eb66.jpeg

IMG_6583.thumb.jpeg.5d27086981ddc61475819eefe9798be7.jpeg

Today is day 3 and I am loving Princess.

• Like 20

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Switching back and forth between the NCL and Princess boards is the most exercise I've had in the last month. But I have to keep up with the adventures of @YVRteacher (and Dad, when he's participating...which, unfortunately he's not this time).

CC can be exhausting for an old guy such as yours truly.

My dad would love this ship: they have large cans of Fosters!

(Of course I asked him to join me on this trip. He felt it wasn’t the best thing for him.)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

My dad would love this ship: they have large cans of Fosters!

(Of course I asked him to join me on this trip. He felt it wasn’t the best thing for him.)

How is Dad doing?  Is he replying to your notes to him?

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS to you both

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geoherb said:

Try the violet cloud for an experience. It's $16--so they charge you the difference plus gratuity (for a total of $1.18).

Be prepared for long tender lines in Greenland. My advice would be to get up early and get a tender ticket at 7 a.m. In Nanortalik two years ago, there were people who had been waiting more than three hours for a tender when I got back to the ship.

Did you go to the Elite lounge for priority tendering?  How as that handled?  How long were the lines to get back to the ship? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Adding Halifax to the list of must visit places! Anywhere that has Beavertails, Poutine, and Tim’s is a good place…

Thank you for the photo tour.  The first time the ship was in Halifax, I was in isolation (nice view from my cabin).  The last time (second) I was in Halifax, my sister's goal was to visit the supermarket.  That's as far as we got.  Then had my lobster roll and visited the terminal booths.

13 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

One 'heads-up' about the Good Spirits bar. We were told their 'special drink menu' is only available certain hours---after 5 or so I think? 

I found this annoying as of course, the only time I thought of going there was at 3 in the afternoon on a sea day....

🤷‍♀️

I heard them tell another passenger today that the special drinks could be ordered any time the bar is open.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geoherb said:

Try the violet cloud for an experience. It's $16--so they charge you the difference plus gratuity (for a total of $1.18).

Be prepared for long tender lines in Greenland. My advice would be to get up early and get a tender ticket at 7 a.m. In Nanortalik two years ago, there were people who had been waiting more than three hours for a tender when I got back to the ship.

That is good advice but I don’t get up early on vacation. My plan is to go ashore later and miss the early morning tender waits. Did you do an excursion or explore on your own in Nanortalik?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

How is Dad doing?  Is he replying to your notes to him?

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS to you both

My dad emailed yesterday to say something is wrong with his computer. What this means is he pressed a key and can’t get things to work the way he likes them to work. I haven’t heard from him today. 

• Like 5

Have you tried wifi calling?  Just another option to reach him in case he forgets to hit the reply button.  Make sure our airplane mode IS turned on.  

• Like 1

Back to the Good Spirits bar

Captain’s Bounty (big thank you for this recommendation!)

IMG_6540.thumb.jpeg.d77523cc654e13fca13892ac2eb34764.jpeg

Pina Colada that I didn’t order but drank anyhow. One should not waste rum. My mom raised me right.

IMG_6548.thumb.jpeg.9db7d66c05843e59e09fe74a7c21d7ac.jpeg

Scenes from the Good Spirits Cocktail show

IMG_6549.thumb.jpeg.0fcd98003886608da76e31c650f2c5c3.jpeg

IMG_6564.thumb.jpeg.e5df426438356122c90ed516d81b1303.jpeg

IMG_6567.thumb.jpeg.e16c84edfae8c64db74e7672f34e4bd5.jpeg

IMG_6571.thumb.jpeg.944f28772b7d9d89db7827419d02898e.jpeg

Drinks made tonight:

Butterfly Tea

Loch Ness Martini

Key Lime Pie

Aperitivo Roma

Apples Delight

Today I learned it took 7 years from 1902-1909 to perfect the recipe for Aperol. I hate Aperol. I also learned that Angostura bitters contain 44% alcohol.

It seems like he makes what people order 

Bye bye, Halifax pilot

IMG_6559.thumb.jpeg.54a79a0ee2e0424625ad53336f44459a.jpeg

I ordered a Hurricane. It tastes like a dusty caterpillar.

IMG_6557.thumb.jpeg.d20c5f11970c21ba0719f8bc84a63e93.jpeg

Someone who is not named Yvonne ordered a mountain margarita. It toppled over onto the counter!

IMG_6553.thumb.jpeg.9dd8c531b1287b7114798af04b562bf6.jpeg

Given that I returned to the ship and plopped down at the bar, I still needed to drop off my bag and not-needed jacket in the cabin before dinner.

Per usual I checked out the menu at the MDR before heading up to Horizon Court. 

IMG_6578.thumb.jpeg.c2aebc17b219a092493dc63b9422c9b8.jpeg

Dinner

Big salad (mixed greens, romaine, beets, carrots, chick peas, kidney beans, garden peas, broccoli, cheddar cheese, sunflower seeds)

Leek tart (I only ate the middle since I don’t like pastry crust)

Brussels Sprouts

Roasted Squash (this was incredible!)

Tiny bit of goat cheese pasta

Each night there is an action station in the Horizon Court buffet. The first evening it was Banana Flambé so I assumed this would be a nightly dessert station. I had a little moment of “huh” the second evening when it was chicken wings. Even if I ate meat I wouldn’t want chicken wings for dessert! Tonight it was chocolate fondue.

IMG_6579.thumb.jpeg.b41146a2651d7fb05048589e1f0c47ba.jpeg

Now this schedule that was in the cabin on day one makes sense

IMG_6603.thumb.jpeg.1b8406c4df2e7b0662d90f2eb1010c78.jpeg

It is 6:54pm and we are foghorning our way north to Newfoundland.

Tonight’s theatre show is a comedian. I’m a little tipsy so maybe it will be funny.

IMG_6551.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, arizonaperson said:

@YVRteacher Your Halifax photos are very nice,love the flowers.

Well I hope the hairdryer electrical thingy is ok. Sorry-  I guess other ships it’s removable & a flashlight for when the power goes out.

I’m going to keep asking people and see what they say! My room steward is doing an outstanding job but I haven’t seen him in the hallway since the first day. 

• Like 4

That random drink photo at the end of the Good Spirits post is the Loch Ness Martini. It wasn’t my drink.

I felt I should say that so you all don’t think I should start attending the Friends of Bill W meetings.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Have you tried wifi calling?  Just another option to reach him in case he forgets to hit the reply button.  Make sure our airplane mode IS turned on.  

I’ll call him from Newfoundland. I have a Canadian phone plan. Dad and I are now 4.5 hours apart due to the time change.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

That random drink photo at the end of the Good Spirits post is the Loch Ness Martini. It wasn’t my drink.

I felt I should say that so you all don’t think I should start attending the Friends of Bill W meetings.

Drink away,well it’s a very pretty drink the Loch Ness. I thought it was key lime.

• Like 1

How did I contribute to the Halifax economy today?

Bubbles! I bought bubbles at Shopper’s Drug Mart. 
IMG_6577.thumb.jpeg.cd32048e6169f21501b24931aad2cd06.jpeg

@ChiefMateJRK I thought of you!

Peace By Chocolate

IMG_6576.thumb.jpeg.bfb649426a518ea3e9ee420f0df6be5f.jpeg

Sadly the movie does not come up as a selection (believe me I went through everything twice) but of course I bought the chocolate. I have been sponsoring a Syrian family for years and was so excited to find these today. Thank you again @loretta

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Drink away,well it’s a very pretty drink the Loch Ness. I thought it was key lime.

What makes this the Loch Ness is the garnish sits on the surface and looks like Nessie’s scales rising from out of the Loch.

Key Lime Pie has a graham cracker crumb rim.

Look at me knowing Princess drinks!!

Seriously, the drinks and bartenders are top notch.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 8

After dinner I went to see Azeem the comedian. He was funny until he started going on and on and on about women with puffy feet and then he heckled a five year in the audience and I wanted to leave but I was very stuck in one of those rows where you can’t get out unless everyone else gets out.

The theatre seats 1100. About 18 people clapped. The comedian even insulted us for not laughing at him. That is not how you make friends.

At 8:30pm Yes or No took place in Explorers Lounge. I haven’t found my courage yet so I watched instead of participating.  The volume on the microphone wasn’t turned up high enough and I was near the bar so I couldn’t hear.  The second guy was a twit. That’s what my dad would say. The first woman won and was excellent. I left after two because it wasn’t fun. Fortunately this meant I got a great seat in Crooners to enjoy Don Juan.

• Like 4