Alaska in August - do I need waterproof shoes for the glacier?

We will be sailing Aug 6 through Glacier Bay. We are most excited about our helicopter glacier trek in Juneau.  We live at 7000 elevation so we have cold weather gear.  Thoughts on bringing waterproof hiking boots for this?  We are pretty adaptable, so a little discomfort is ok. I'm trying to pack light so any insight is appreciated. 

Have done a similar excursion and all gear needed was provided.  I was provided a sort of a rubber slip over with cleats over my sandals.  Wife was given a snow boot with carbide non slip bottom.

As already said, as the tour provider as each is a bit different. 

37 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have done a similar excursion and all gear needed was provided.  I was provided a sort of a rubber slip over with cleats over my sandals.  Wife was given a snow boot with carbide non slip bottom.

As already said, as the tour provider as each is a bit different. 

Thank you!! That helps a lot.  Go Wildcats! We are both from UofA and live in Flagstaff 🙂

13 hours ago, DebbieD28 said:

We will be sailing Aug 6 through Glacier Bay. We are most excited about our helicopter glacier trek in Juneau.  We live at 7000 elevation so we have cold weather gear.  Thoughts on bringing waterproof hiking boots for this?  We are pretty adaptable, so a little discomfort is ok. I'm trying to pack light so any insight is appreciated. 

Since Alaska can be rainy and you already have waterproof hiking boots.....I would bring them just for walking around in the ports. If you have the room, of course. 😉

I have water proof athletic shoes with Goretex. Brooks Ghost GTX.

BTW - Sometime in the middle of August (date changes each year), the helicopter tours that land on a glacier are cancelled due to lack of snow on the glacier. Just wanted to warn you that this could happen. Once the snow is gone, these tours are cancelled for the rest of the season. Right now they still will sell tickets for the rest of the season but they do cancel them once the snow disappears.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, DebbieD28 said:

To pack light, we always take some extra food storage plastic bags (not zip lock) and just regular leather walking or tennis shoes.  After we put on our socks, we slip our feet into the plastic bags before putting on our shoes and secure the tops by slipping them into the tops of our sock.  Our socks and feet stay dry, even when walking on ice or in snow. You can also waterproof your shoes with spray if you feel it is necessary, but we’ve not found the need to do so.   
One thing we make room for in our luggage is sunscreen.  We’ve hit some warm sunny weather up in Alaska in both July and August.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

BTW - Sometime in the middle of August (date changes each year), the helicopter tours that land on a glacier are cancelled due to lack of snow on the glacier. Just wanted to warn you that this could happen. Once the snow is gone, these tours are cancelled for the rest of the season. Right now they still will sell tickets for the rest of the season but they do cancel them once the snow disappears.

Brooks is always a solid choice - shop the sales - maybe 'last years style' - can't go wrong

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Do you know if they refund you?  Appreciate this info.  We're pretty new to cruising. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DebbieD28 said:

Do you know if they refund you?  Appreciate this info.  We're pretty new to cruising. 

Yes, of course. I would just have a back up plan in case this happens.

I think historically, you will be ok date wise but I don't know how much snow and how warm it has been this year. Just wanted to give you a heads up. It often shuts down around August 15th or so.

Sorry - let me clarify. The Glacier Trek will probably last all summer. It is the dog sledding on a glacier that gets cancelled. Sorry to alarm you. 

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Disregard this. It refers to dog sledding on a glacier, not glacier trekking.