Tell me about Queens Grill

Clewgarnet

QV had a perfectly-timed mini-cruise to commemorate an anniversary, but only had inside or balcony cabins available. I really wanted to treat myself to something a bit more interesting, especially as the itinerary was places I know well. I wanted Club, or maybe even - gasp! - PG.

And then a Q3 came available, and this board is a terrible, terrible influence, so I booked it.

So, what are the things that make QG stand out? I know the obvious - QG restaurant, Grills Lounge, Grills Terrace - but what are the little things that Cunard don't necessarily publicise but make an experienced QGer keep coming back? And what, exactly, does one do with a butler?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

QV had a perfectly-timed mini-cruise to commemorate an anniversary, but only had inside or balcony cabins available. I really wanted to treat myself to something a bit more interesting, especially as the itinerary was places I know well. I wanted Club, or maybe even - gasp! - PG.

And then a Q3 came available, and this board is a terrible, terrible influence, so I booked it.

So, what are the things that make QG stand out? I know the obvious - QG restaurant, Grills Lounge, Grills Terrace - but what are the little things that Cunard don't necessarily publicise but make an experienced QGer keep coming back? And what, exactly, does one do with a butler?

I don’t do anything much with mine, but, if you wanted a little party to celebrate your anniversary, s/he’s you wo/man. And be aware of the Concierge in the Grills Lounge. I have found them brilliant for dealing with queries and problems. And revel in the extra space.

• Like 4

The butler is there to help in any way he/she can and is the first port of call to ask any questions of, apart from the restaurant and that's where the head waiters come in to advise and help.

* exlondoner was right when she said the Concierge is there to help too and we go there instead of the Front Desk for many enquiries

Once onboard, don't be bemused, just ask.

and ask on this board too,.

I'm so jealous. Victoria is the best ship [ok, my very subjective opinion] in the Cunard fleet! Enjoy
🙂

Edited by Victoria2
added * sentence
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

As they say....."uh oh you're in trouble". Hard to go back when you have experienced QG. 🙂

The butler is there to assist you on your voyage. You can go as far as packing & unpacking though it seems that is the exception not the rule for most. Extra pillows & towels, theatre bookings, mini bar stocking or laundry services are all far more common. More personally it could be arranging for a clothing item to be mended, some sea sickness remedies or even a tampon should a lady find herself caught out. 

Ordering off menu is a big thing. It is a little bit like Willy Wonka meets a restaurant. If you can imagine it (and they have the ingredients) with notice they can probably accomodate your request. Think Peking Duck or Bombe Alaska, an Indian thali meal or table side delights such as Beef Welligton & Crepe Suzette.

Most of all it is the service. The constant table in the QG means you have regular MDs, waiters & sommeliers throughout your voyage. They get to know your likes and dislikes very quickly. If something is wrong, don't say everything is ok just to be polite. Tell your MD (politely of course) if there is a problem and most of the time they can fix or resolve it satisfactorily. The genuine care and concern in your comfort & satisfaction regardless of how odd the request maybe is incredible. They could not do more to try and make your time on board as good as it can be.

Enjoy and remember the memories for evermore as the cost will soon be forgotten. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On our last Cunard Queens Grill cruise on QE, it coincided with my birthday.

The butler arrived in the morning to wish me happy birthday and presented me with a birthday card signed by the captain. Then early evening, as we were preparing to go to dinner, he arrived with a tray full of Chinese dim sum appetisers, (Enough to feed half the ship I think!)

Finally in the restaurant, after finishing our dessert, the maitre'd brought us a huge birthday cake. We shared this around the restaurant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox trotter said:

On our last Cunard Queens Grill cruise on QE, it coincided with my birthday.

The butler arrived in the morning to wish me happy birthday and presented me with a birthday card signed by the captain. Then early evening, as we were preparing to go to dinner, he arrived with a tray full of Chinese dim sum appetisers, (Enough to feed half the ship I think!)

Finally in the restaurant, after finishing our dessert, the maitre'd brought us a huge birthday cake. We shared this around the restaurant. 

Did this just happen or did a travelling companion make arrangements?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I don't think, "anniversary of smashing my spine to smithereens" will be on their radar for me to get any special treatment, but how lovely!

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that! Absolutely, you should treat yourself after, what I’m sure, must have been a horrible experience. And happy upcoming birthday! (I hope they notice.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

As they say....."uh oh you're in trouble". Hard to go back when you have experienced QG. 🙂

Yes, hard, but not impossible. I've done over the last 5 years or so a circuit from PG -> QG -> Inside (ended up Oceanview) -> Oceanview (ended up Balcony) -> Balcony (many times) -> PG -> Balcony -> Club. The trick to being in steerage is appreciating that the money you save, with a perfectly decent onboard offering, could easily buy another sailing. Or in the case of PG and QG, 3, 4 or even 5 more sailings. 

• Like 4

To add to this post as a very recent first-time QG’er on a Q4 on QE, I can add that the ratio of staff to pax is exceptional. The QG restaurant is abuzz with staff doting on everyone. As for a butler, I felt that he had a strong sense of ownership for our wellbeing during our 10 nights onboard. It was my birthday too and our butler and cabin steward personally wrote bday wishes along with receiving a card from Captain and senior staff. They also spiffed up our bed with roses that evening! 

The afternoon tea on PG is very nice with sweets and savories served on a tiered tray with waiters coming around with loose tea or another tea of your choice. 

The bottom line is you’ll receive that level of “luxury” service in QG that some have bemoaned that Cunard does not offer vs the small ship luxury lines. There is a genuine sense of ownership in your happiness onboard along with a strong sense of kindness from the Grills staff. Everyone remembers your name within a day - remarkable. I would argue that we received the personal service of a small ship luxury line with access to the full amenities of a mid-sized ship. Best of both worlds. Through the years, we’ve been on sheltered and regular balconies, and also have been on PG on QM2. PG was a great experience, with the difference for QG being the butler and the highest level of dining experience. And yes, we are now spoiled forever. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 4

I concur with all @NE John has posted above, and feel compelled to relate our very own experience on QA’s British Isles voyage last month.  At check-in, the friendly and efficient staff member, as she processed our boarding passes and passports, spontaneously congratulated my husband on his very special birthday, which was to fall during the sailing.  She must have passed the message “along the line”, as on his birthday our butler delivered the Captain’s card signed by Inger (DH was delighted we had a woman in command, as he says he’s accustomed to that) and co-signed by senior officers.  

At dinner in QG that evening, we ordered off menu as a birthday celebration, and after exquisite caviar, lobster thermador and relaxing as we awaited our requested crepes suzette, the MaitreD and all our waiters suddenly appeared at our table, singing in perfect harmony, and surrounding beautifully decorated cake, complete with candles.  We were overwhelmed, and I know my husband really enjoyed that moment, even though he’d previously asked me not to request a cake after I suggested it.  He simply didn’t want a fuss.  I needn’t have rued not doing just that, as Cunard ensured it happened anyway, with absolutely no request from me. 

Queens Grill is an experience like no other at sea, even though we’ve sailed with many other lines in some lovely vessels.

Oh, and our smiling waiter still served crepes suzette after all that.  Just as well we had requested a small slice of the cake (delicious) and asked the staff to share it with whoever they chose.  

• Like 3

Thank you very much for all your replies!

I suspect QG may not be entirely for me, largely because I get so much enjoyment from people watching, which is harder to do if you're in a peaceful little bubble for much of the time. (And, yes, I know I could go and sit in the Carinthia Lounge or have lunch in the Britannia or buffet, but if I've paid for the Grills Lounge, I'm damn well going to use it!)

My travelling companion hates being noticed too much, but equally, she loves making friends with the staff, so it may be just her ticket!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to the experience.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I suspect QG may not be entirely for me, largely because I get so much enjoyment from people watching, which is harder to do if you're in a peaceful little bubble for much of the time. (And, yes, I know I could go and sit in the Carinthia Lounge or have lunch in the Britannia or buffet, but if I've paid for the Grills Lounge, I'm damn well going to use it!)

My travelling companion hates being noticed too much, but equally, she loves making friends with the staff, so it may be just her ticket!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to the experience.

I think you should find plenty of people to watch, never fear.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

I suspect QG may not be entirely for me, largely because I get so much enjoyment from people watching, which is harder to do if you're in a peaceful little bubble for much of the time.

People watching in QG on QE was wonderful.

Don't forget, the Guest lecturers and their partners are in QG.....the entertainment/people watching factor of one the partners was unbelievable. 😉

You won't miss out on this aspect.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Don't forget, the Guest lecturers and their partners are in QG.....the entertainment/people watching factor of one the partners was unbelievable. 😉

Golly, another Celebrity Speaker, or CS 's partner in this case to have made note of [it's only the C.Ss who dine in QG].

Unless they dined with us, I missed any 'action' as they didn't dine in our part of QV's restaurant.

We saw the speakers on our May QA cruise because they were  hard to miss as their table was just as we entered the restaurant, unfortunately for them as they had their meals 'well interrupted' [ their tables was in our line of sight] which to their credit, they both took with exceedingly good grace.

15 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Not all guest lecturers get QG,  it's not standard, depends on the "status" of the lecturers,  or if they want to pay to upgrade themselves.