Running out of stuff.... What am I missing out on?

After cruising for 30+ years, I'm starting to run a little dry on things to do at certain islands. 

Right off the bat, I know there's port of call pages,  I've dug through them,  not much help.  hoping my RCI people can help.

We've done old town San Juan at least 8-9 times, forts, speed boats, rum factory, (don't have enough time in port to make it to the rainforest and back this cruise)....   anything else you recommend?

St. Maarten... I've done Maho, Orient, Pinel Island, Grand Case, shopping on the French and dutch side....  

St. Thomas too --- just curious if you have a favorite must do activity that gives us something new. 

Our groups is 10 years old, 15 years old, 40 year old, and a senior who is pretty active.  

22 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

After cruising for 30+ years, I'm starting to run a little dry on things to do at certain islands. 

* Europe *

If you must do the Carib for the 31st year in a row, maybe here's a suggestion for St Marten:s

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/

Google "Captain Bob Saint Maarten"

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Right off the bat, I know there's port of call pages,  I've dug through them,  not much help.  hoping my RCI people can help.

We've done old town San Juan at least 8-9 times, forts, speed boats, rum factory, (don't have enough time in port to make it to the rainforest and back this cruise)....   anything else you recommend?

St. Maarten... I've done Maho, Orient, Pinel Island, Grand Case, shopping on the French and dutch side....  

St. Thomas too --- just curious if you have a favorite must do activity that gives us something new. 

Our groups is 10 years old, 15 years old, 40 year old, and a senior who is pretty active.  

That is why I don’t do the eastern or western Caribbean much any more. I can’t really think of anything that I haven’t done. Done everything you mentioned. So San Juan find a good restaurant and a good bar. St. Maarten have done the same exactly as you. Did do the Americas Cup boat race and that was fun. Everyone crew even if it’s just holding a clipboard. I think they still have it under another name. St. Thomas, Megan’s Bay, Sapphire Beach, Lindquist Beach, Coki Beach and St John’s Trunk Bay, Honeymoon Bay etc. Took a fast boat trip to BVI . The wild thing.  Don’t know if that still exists. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

We enjoyed the Sea Trek Helmet Dive in St Maarten. If you have never done scuba like us, it was a great new experience. The kids going with you would probably enjoy it as well. (If the picture loads, that is me and the hubby at the beginning of our underwater walk).

Towanda

PA180007.JPG

• Like 1

St. Martin… Captain Bob’s Speedboat Tour

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

Loved it in 2017 & just did it again in March. Even better the 2nd time because we saw dolphins & turtles & they’ve added rum to the onboard drinks. Great family from NY that runs it. Had Bob’s son as our captain both times. Little bit of everything… snorkeling, beach, lunch, drinks, maho from the water, and his boats FLY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

* Europe *

If you must do the Carib for the 31st year in a row, maybe here's a suggestion for St Marten:s

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/

Google "Captain Bob Saint Maarten"

haha we've done Europe too...  I'm just planning for my upcoming cruises which happen to be in the caribbean

1 hour ago, mytee4ever said:

We enjoyed the Sea Trek Helmet Dive in St Maarten. If you have never done scuba like us, it was a great new experience. The kids going with you would probably enjoy it as well. (If the picture loads, that is me and the hubby at the beginning of our underwater walk).

Towanda

PA180007.JPG

I've done it and LOVE it, my wife is like NO WAY, too scared. lol  but great suggestion

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Is it as simple as just changing your approach and enjoy *not* doing things at ports?  Stay on the ship or just get off and walk around for a bit for some exercise and go about your day on board.

Yeah I have two kids and a wife who are "adventure exploring addicts"  first one off, last ones back on!  Want a full non stop day. 

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

St. Martin… Captain Bob’s Speedboat Tour

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

Loved it in 2017 & just did it again in March. Even better the 2nd time because we saw dolphins & turtles & they’ve added rum to the onboard drinks. Great family from NY that runs it. Had Bob’s son as our captain both times. Little bit of everything… snorkeling, beach, lunch, drinks, maho from the water, and his boats FLY!

Thinking we're going to book this in St. Maarten, we love Pinel Island, and Maho from the water would be different!  how much time do you spend out of the boat?  I'm thinking we'll want some beach swimming time, and that looks like a packed schedule.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Thinking we're going to book this in St. Maarten, we love Pinel Island, and Maho from the water would be different!  how much time do you spend out of the boat?  I'm thinking we'll want some beach swimming time, and that looks like a packed schedule.

A decent amount if you count the snorkeling but there are a couple different beach stops that add up too… it’s just not a beach trip per se. The last one had some spongy interesting sand & a cave you could walk into. It is a packed schedule but that’s why we liked it. You get to do several different things in one excursion.

I’d say it’s more for the boat ride(s) & the 2 snorkeling stops but you do get beach time (one with tons of iguanas running around). That said, I’m not as into snorkeling as my wife & after seeing dolphins on the way & turtles & rays at the first stop, I stayed on the boat at the 2nd stop to have a beer & talk to Brett (Bob’s son).

The sandwiches on French baguettes were surprisingly good too. In 2017, you went to a tiny bar/restaurant with freshly grilled lunch but sadly it was destroyed by a hurricane and never rebuilt.

Sorry for going off-topic, I just enjoy the excursion so much, I wouldn’t want you to skip it for lack of beach time (especially since you want something new) but you know what your group likes.

Bob is very good about responding to e-mail, btw, so feel free to ask him any follow-up questions about logistics.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Thanks 1

@RCCL Fan If one of the ports is StThomas-take the ferry to St John.

Trunk Bay is (was) gorgeous or Caneel Bay Plantation if they offer day passes.

You might consider cancelling a Caribbean cruise and take an Alaskan cruise or a cruise to Bermuda.

If you can’t cancel cruise plans-consider one or both of these destinations for future travel.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

1 minute ago, MJSailors said:

@RCCL Fan If one of the ports is StThomas-take the ferry to St John.

Trunk Bay is (was) gorgeous or Caneel Bay Plantation if they offer day passes.

You might consider cancelling a Caribbean cruise and take an Alaskan cruise or a cruise to Bermuda.

If you can’t cancel cruise plans-consider one or both of these destinations for future travel.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

We're not cancelling,  these are our cruises. Booked and paid for. 

Kids school schedules and work schedules, it's not easy for us to just swap things. 

Done Alaska...  Done Europe....  Done East, West, & South Caribbean.  We're flying to Bermuda with the kids, because last time I crossed the gulf stream headed that way and thought I was going to die.  I know weather varies, but that trips going to be by air when we go back. lol

We cruise 2-3 times a year, I'm in my 40's and I've been cruising since I was a kid.  There's going to be repeat, there's no problem there.

We knew what we were getting into.  I was just eager to hear from you wonderful group of seasoned travelers what you may enjoy on these specific islands that I may have overlooked.

I love Trunk Bay,  but haven't heard of  Caneel Bay Plantation.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

A decent amount if you count the snorkeling but there are a couple different beach stops that add up too… it’s just not a beach trip per se. The last one had some spongy interesting sand & a cave you could walk into. It is a packed schedule but that’s why we liked it. You get to do several different things in one excursion.

I’d say it’s more for the boat ride(s) & the 2 snorkeling stops but you do get beach time (one with tons of iguanas running around). That said, I’m not as into snorkeling as my wife & after seeing dolphins on the way & turtles & rays at the first stop, I stayed on the boat at the 2nd stop to have a beer & talk to Brett (Bob’s son).

The sandwiches on French baguettes were surprisingly good too. In 2017, you went to a tiny bar/restaurant with freshly grilled lunch but sadly it was destroyed by a hurricane and never rebuilt.

Sorry for going off-topic, I just enjoy the excursion so much, I wouldn’t want you to skip it for lack of beach time (especially since you want something new) but you know what your group likes.

Bob is very good about responding to e-mail, btw, so feel free to ask him any follow-up questions about logistics.

+1 ^ 

Excellent summary 👍

• Like 1