Tokyo to port of Yokohama cruise port

We are on the April 1st 2025 Oceania cruise around Japan and would like to spend a few days in Tokyo before the cruise.  What is the best way to to get from Tokyo to the cruise port?

Thank you

I took the trip in reverse on the train. It was inexpensive, but I got on the wrong train and had to change trains. You will need a taxi from the train station to the port....if you have a lot of luggage, a taxi from Tokyo to port will cost $120.us, not bad if you are a group of 4.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pmatawan said:

I took the trip in reverse on the train. It was inexpensive, but I got on the wrong train and had to change trains. You will need a taxi from the train station to the port....if you have a lot of luggage, a taxi from Tokyo to port will cost $120.us, not bad if you are a group of 4.

Thank you

To start, Tokyo is a huge City, so the question can’t be answered without knowing which part of Tokyo you plan to stay. Cab or limo fares can’t be quoted without precise information.

Easiest solution is to take a subway to the nearest train station and then take the train to Yokohama. Cab fare from Yokohama station to the port is around $25 max depending upon whether you arrive at the Shinkansen station or the regular station.

We took both the subway and Shinkansen system and both are easily navigated.

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

To start, Tokyo is a huge City, so the question can’t be answered without knowing which part of Tokyo you plan to stay. Cab or limo fares can’t be quoted without precise information.

Easiest solution is to take a subway to the nearest train station and then take the train to Yokohama. Cab fare from Yokohama station to the port is around $25 max depending upon whether you arrive at the Shinkansen station or the regular station.

Thank you.  We have just started to look at options so appreciate input from those who have done this.

We have talked about this topic on the Port of Call/Asia board, although the most recent issue has been getting between Haneda and Yokohama.   Moving between Tokyo (almost anywhere in that huge city) and Yokohama can be done via rail (i.e. train, metro).  Depending on your placement in Tokyo, you many need none to 3 changes.  Having a Suica Card, or setting-up digital Suica on your phone makes using public transit as easy as scanning your phone/card at entrances/exits.  

However, if moving between a Tokyo hotel and Yokohama, when you have luggage, is a different issue.  If you are planning on a pre-cruise stay at a Yokohama hotel (we really like Yokohama) you can either spend the big bucks (over $100) to take a taxi, or ship your luggage ahead and use the metro.  Shipping luggage, in Japan, is very common since it is difficult to take luggage on public transit.  Sending luggage between a Tokyo and Yokohama hotel will generally happen overnight and the cost is quite reasonable (should be less than $50 per piece).  Hotels will handle the shipping (including filling out the forms) and if you ship the day before you check-out, your luggage should be waiting for you in your next hotel.  

My advice to the OP, is that if you simply going from a Tokyo Hotel to one of the ports in Yokohama,  use a taxi.  Most do take credit cards (ask before you enter the taxi) and your Tokyo hotel can easily get you a taxi.  Although it is not inexpensive, it is worth the money for those not familiar with using public transit and navigating the huge Japanese stations.  Keep in mind that Tokyo Station and Shinjuku Station are among the largest on earth, and just walking through those places can involve a real hike (over 1/2 mile).  Signage is good (and it is pretty easy to find help if you get lost), but this is best done by folks used to moving around large cities.

Hank

Hank

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have talked about this topic on the Port of Call/Asia board, although the most recent issue has been getting between Haneda and Yokohama.   Moving between Tokyo (almost anywhere in that huge city) and Yokohama can be done via rail (i.e. train, metro).  Depending on your placement in Tokyo, you many need none to 3 changes.  Having a Suica Card, or setting-up digital Suica on your phone makes using public transit as easy as scanning your phone/card at entrances/exits.  

However, if moving between a Tokyo hotel and Yokohama, when you have luggage, is a different issue.  If you are planning on a pre-cruise stay at a Yokohama hotel (we really like Yokohama) you can either spend the big bucks (over $100) to take a taxi, or ship your luggage ahead and use the metro.  Shipping luggage, in Japan, is very common since it is difficult to take luggage on public transit.  Sending luggage between a Tokyo and Yokohama hotel will generally happen overnight and the cost is quite reasonable (should be less than $50 per piece).  Hotels will handle the shipping (including filling out the forms) and if you ship the day before you check-out, your luggage should be waiting for you in your next hotel.  

My advice to the OP, is that if you simply going from a Tokyo Hotel to one of the ports in Yokohama,  use a taxi.  Most do take credit cards (ask before you enter the taxi) and your Tokyo hotel can easily get you a taxi.  Although it is not inexpensive, it is worth the money for those not familiar with using public transit and navigating the huge Japanese stations.  Keep in mind that Tokyo Station and Shinjuku Station are among the largest on earth, and just walking through those places can involve a real hike (over 1/2 mile).  Signage is good (and it is pretty easy to find help if you get lost), but this is best done by folks used to moving around large cities.

Hank

Hank

Thank you.  Looking like a taxi may be our best option with luggage.

20 minutes ago, mittenscat23 said:

Thank you.  Looking like a taxi may be our best option with luggage.

Take a look at Blacklane. Very professional service and typically less than a taxi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Take a look at Blacklane. Very professional service and typically less than a taxi.

This is what we did, Blacklane is very good and so much easier in Tokyo.  I'd spend the extra bucks for convenience.  Just a better way to go.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

This is what we did, Blacklane is very good and so much easier in Tokyo.  I'd spend the extra bucks for convenience.  Just a better way to go.

When we made this trip I reached out to others on the R/C and hired a van who picked us up at the ship and then deposited us at our various hotels in Tokyo. You might be able to do the reverse! 

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just checked Blacklane out.  Looks like a good option.  

54 minutes ago, mittenscat23 said:

Just checked Blacklane out.  Looks like a good option.  

We really use them all over the world when traveling - very dependable.

• Like 4

Hi - we did this exact thing a few years ago when taking a trip on Regatta from Tokyo to Bangkok.  We spent four nights in Tokyo pre cruise and the hotel were excellent at arranging a shared van service for us.  As you will discover, everything runs efficiently and very much to time in Japan.  The trip to Yokohama from Shibuya (central Tokyo) took about 45 mins.  Can’t recall the cost, but don’t remember it as being terribly expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, undertone said:

Hi - we did this exact thing a few years ago when taking a trip on Regatta from Tokyo to Bangkok.  We spent four nights in Tokyo pre cruise and the hotel were excellent at arranging a shared van service for us.  As you will discover, everything runs efficiently and very much to time in Japan.  The trip to Yokohama from Shibuya (central Tokyo) took about 45 mins.  Can’t recall the cost, but don’t remember it as being terribly expensive.

Thank you.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, pinotlover said:

Is it difficult to use the trains with large suitcases? How do we get from street level to the platforms?

We have plans to go to Kyoko by train after the cruise and I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Felice 😎

47 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Is it difficult to use the trains with large suitcases? How do we get from street level to the platforms?

We have plans to go to Kyoko by train after the cruise and I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Felice 😎

Allow me to first back up the process with some tips. We arrived in Tokyo a few days pre cruise. I opted to find a Japan Rail office, at the nearest large subway station, and pre purchased our rail tickets. We went into the office, sat down with a helpful agent, and bought first class tickets with seat reservations for all of our planned Shinkansen travel. This primarily meant we didn’t have to figure out the kiosk system for each leg thus making travel easier. I would recommend you do the same. If not arriving first in Tokyo, one can do the same at any of the railway stations. Otherwise, go to the rail office at the Yokohama station. I had a question there and found the English speaking line short and efficient.

Yokohama actually has two distinct stations, one handles the local trains only and the other also does the Shinkansen trains. Catch a cab, at the port, and tell the driver “ the Yokohama Shinkansen Station “. Otherwise, you’ll be taking a short subway ride between the two.

We traveled with large suitcases. At the major Shinkansen stations, you will always find either ( or both) escalators or elevators to take you from one level or the other. One doesn’t have to haul luggage up stairs. Two other great works of engineering with the system now. First, your ticket will have a car and seat number. On the floor of the passenger tracks will be numbered areas/spaces that correspond to the car one is in. Find that space and wait. Unlike European or American rail, the Shinkansen trains always stop precisely aligned with the numbered spaces. There is no running to find your car. Second, the cars open at ground level. One can almost just roll their suitcases onto the cars. There isn’t the lugging and tugging of getting the suitcases up the stairs of the train.

Once aboard, at the rear of the car, there is space, between the rear seat and the wall, to place your large suitcases. One can pay for and reserve lockers, for the suitcases, but we never found that necessary. 

The train system is easy to use, as is the subway and street cars. Watch the screens as announcements are rotated both in Japanese and English.

Kyoto has several stations. Ensure you go to Kyoto Central or the main station and not get off early. Enjoy your travels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Adding a bit of precision. Upon boarding your train, one is in a common area of bathrooms, storage,etc. one then enters, through the door, into the large compartment with all the seats. It is in this compartment, behind the rear seat and the wall, where the space to store luggage exists. Just roll your suitcase into the area. Any space overhead will not accommodate suitcases of any size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just remember, to avoid the Japanese train & metro system during the Rush Hour.  Stay near the train or metro station.  One problem can be that the train & metro stations in Tokyo can be gigantic.  These are hints concerning train & metro travel to Yokohama.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Allow me to first back up the process with some tips. We arrived in Tokyo a few days pre cruise. I opted to find a Japan Rail office, at the nearest large subway station, and pre purchased our rail tickets. We went into the office, sat down with a helpful agent, and bought first class tickets with seat reservations for all of our planned Shinkansen travel. This primarily meant we didn’t have to figure out the kiosk system for each leg thus making travel easier. I would recommend you do the same. If not arriving first in Tokyo, one can do the same at any of the railway stations. Otherwise, go to the rail office at the Yokohama station. I had a question there and found the English speaking line short and efficient.

Yokohama actually has two distinct stations, one handles the local trains only and the other also does the Shinkansen trains. Catch a cab, at the port, and tell the driver “ the Yokohama Shinkansen Station “. Otherwise, you’ll be taking a short subway ride between the two.

We traveled with large suitcases. At the major Shinkansen stations, you will always find either ( or both) escalators or elevators to take you from one level or the other. One doesn’t have to haul luggage up stairs. Two other great works of engineering with the system now. First, your ticket will have a car and seat number. On the floor of the passenger tracks will be numbered areas/spaces that correspond to the car one is in. Find that space and wait. Unlike European or American rail, the Shinkansen trains always stop precisely aligned with the numbered spaces. There is no running to find your car. Second, the cars open at ground level. One can almost just roll their suitcases onto the cars. There isn’t the lugging and tugging of getting the suitcases up the stairs of the train.

Once aboard, at the rear of the car, there is space, between the rear seat and the wall, to place your large suitcases. One can pay for and reserve lockers, for the suitcases, but we never found that necessary. 

The train system is easy to use, as is the subway and street cars. Watch the screens as announcements are rotated both in Japanese and English.

Kyoto has several stations. Ensure you go to Kyoto Central or the main station and not get off early. Enjoy your travels.

Wow.😍

I really appreciate your detailed explanation.  We will be in Tokyo for a week before  boarding Riviera in Yokohama. I will definitely follow your advice to book the train trips we need.

2 more question please. 

How do you recommend we go?

1. Airport to Tokyo hotel.

2. Hotel to Cruiseport in Yokohama 

Thanks again,

Felice 😎

3 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Thanks,

Felice 😎

Yes and no.  I all the stations we used (Tokyo area, Yokohama, Kyoto, etc) there was always escalators and elevators.  That being said, some of the stations are huge and it can be a long walk (sometimes blocks) to change trains, get to an elevator, etc.  But lets talk about going to Kyoto.  If you are doing it direct from Yokohama, you first need to get to the Shin Yokohama Station.  This is not the same as the main Yokohama station.  The Shin Yokohama is on the main line that has the high speed bullet trains (which do not go into Yokohama).  You can get to the Shin Yokohama Station from town by taking the metro/train, but this is a commuter line and can be very crowded (especially during rush hours).  Dragging luggage on/off these crowded commuter lines, and through crowded stations, can be a challenge to some folks (we did it and are in our 70s).  That being said, Japan is probably the safest nation on earth and folks do usually cut you some slack just because they see you as a visitor.  Perhaps the best answer to your question is that if you can handle the physical work of hauling you luggage (and perhaps needing to pick up the bags to get them on/off trains) you can do it.

Now lets talk about the so-called bullet trains (which do connect Tokyo/Yokohama to Kyoto.  You should have reservations on these trains and you can get assigned seats.  There are two classes with the First Class option known as "Green Cars."  The Green Cars cost more, but you do get more space (the normal class is also quite nice). The cars have overhead racks which can easily hold smaller bags.  Large bags are more of an issue and can sometimes be left at the end of a car.  But the best solution is to reserve the special Green Car seats that have extra luggage space.  These are very limited (there are only a few on each car) and are near the end of the cars.  These special seats have extra space (behind the seats) that have room for large pieces of luggage.  These special seats must be reserved (often well in advance) but do not cost any more than the regular Green Car seats (the seats are the same, but the extra storage is nice).  We reserved these seats when we took the bulltet train from Kyoto to Shin Yokohama.

And by the way, if you do not want to deal with changing trains (from the port to Kyoto) you can simply take a taxi direct from the port to the Shin Yokohama station.

If you are planning on going to Kyoto from Tokyo, you will need to deal with the huge stations (i.e. Shinjuku and Tokyo Stations are among the largest in the world).  Keep in mind that you would need to roll your luggage a long way.  Another option, especially if moving between two hotels) is having your hotel ship/forward your luggage to your next hotel (we have done it).  This is a fabulous option (we used it to ship our luggage from Tokyo to Kyoto).  You generally send out your luggage the day before you plan on checking-out, and it will be waiting for you when you arrive at your next hotel.  The cost is quite reasonable (we sent two large bags for about $50) and saves you the hassle of dragging your luggage through stations and on/off trains.

Hank

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Wow.😍

I really appreciate your detailed explanation.  We will be in Tokyo for a week before  boarding Riviera in Yokohama. I will definitely follow your advice to book the train trips we need.

2 more question please. 

How do you recommend we go?

1. Airport to Tokyo hotel.

2. Hotel to Cruiseport in Yokohama 

Thanks again,

Felice 😎

On a previous thread, I have recommended the use of Blacklane , in Tokyo, for transportation from the airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal. They provide wonderful services and their prices are competitive. I likewise choose the option of having them meet us as we exit the baggage area into the main terminal as opposed to meeting in other areas.

Since you will be in Tokyo for a week, a taxi from your hotel to port is another option. Upon arrival though, Blacklane is the best option.

As I pointed out, and Hank reiterated, upon disembarking ensure you tell the taxi driver you need the Shinkansen Yokohama train terminal. The taxi ride was between $20-$25 US ( I paid by credit card in Yen) to the train station. Taking a bus from the cruise terminal to the local station, then a subway to the Shin station, with luggage, isn’t worth the money savings for us. The Shin station in Yokohama isn’t very large and finding your Track will be easy. Kyoto is a large but the distances there in are still relatively short when compared to Tokyo Central.

Likewise, as discussed before, I believe flying into Haneda is far superior than Narita. The distance and transportation costs from Narita far exceeds that of Haneda.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Yes and no.  I all the stations we used (Tokyo area, Yokohama, Kyoto, etc) there was always escalators and elevators.  That being said, some of the stations are huge and it can be a long walk (sometimes blocks) to change trains, get to an elevator, etc.  But lets talk about going to Kyoto.  If you are doing it direct from Yokohama, you first need to get to the Shin Yokohama Station.  This is not the same as the main Yokohama station.  The Shin Yokohama is on the main line that has the high speed bullet trains (which do not go into Yokohama).  You can get to the Shin Yokohama Station from town by taking the metro/train, but this is a commuter line and can be very crowded (especially during rush hours).  Dragging luggage on/off these crowded commuter lines, and through crowded stations, can be a challenge to some folks (we did it and are in our 70s).  That being said, Japan is probably the safest nation on earth and folks do usually cut you some slack just because they see you as a visitor.  Perhaps the best answer to your question is that if you can handle the physical work of hauling you luggage (and perhaps needing to pick up the bags to get them on/off trains) you can do it.

Now lets talk about the so-called bullet trains (which do connect Tokyo/Yokohama to Kyoto.  You should have reservations on these trains and you can get assigned seats.  There are two classes with the First Class option known as "Green Cars."  The Green Cars cost more, but you do get more space (the normal class is also quite nice). The cars have overhead racks which can easily hold smaller bags.  Large bags are more of an issue and can sometimes be left at the end of a car.  But the best solution is to reserve the special Green Car seats that have extra luggage space.  These are very limited (there are only a few on each car) and are near the end of the cars.  These special seats have extra space (behind the seats) that have room for large pieces of luggage.  These special seats must be reserved (often well in advance) but do not cost any more than the regular Green Car seats (the seats are the same, but the extra storage is nice).  We reserved these seats when we took the bulltet train from Kyoto to Shin Yokohama.

And by the way, if you do not want to deal with changing trains (from the port to Kyoto) you can simply take a taxi direct from the port to the Shin Yokohama station.

If you are planning on going to Kyoto from Tokyo, you will need to deal with the huge stations (i.e. Shinjuku and Tokyo Stations are among the largest in the world).  Keep in mind that you would need to roll your luggage a long way.  Another option, especially if moving between two hotels) is having your hotel ship/forward your luggage to your next hotel (we have done it).  This is a fabulous option (we used it to ship our luggage from Tokyo to Kyoto).  You generally send out your luggage the day before you plan on checking-out, and it will be waiting for you when you arrive at your next hotel.  The cost is quite reasonable (we sent two large bags for about $50) and saves you the hassle of dragging your luggage through stations and on/off trains.

Hank

Hi Hank

I appreciate your advice.  We are going from Tokyo Hotel to ship so either train to Yokohama and then a taxi or taxi all the way.  I need to compare costs. May as well take a taxi if it's not a fortune. 

Then Riviera at Yokohama cruiseport to Kyoto Hotel means we can't send our bags ahead to the hotel. 

Felice 🇮🇹

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On a previous thread, I have recommended the use of Blacklane , in Tokyo, for transportation from the airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal. They provide wonderful services and their prices are competitive. I likewise choose the option of having them meet us as we exit the baggage area into the main terminal as opposed to meeting in other areas.

Since you will be in Tokyo for a week, a taxi from your hotel to port is another option. Upon arrival though, Blacklane is the best option.

As I pointed out, and Hank reiterated, upon disembarking ensure you tell the taxi driver you need the Shinkansen Yokohama train terminal. The taxi ride was between $20-$25 US ( I paid by credit card in Yen) to the train station. Taking a bus from the cruise terminal to the local station, then a subway to the Shin station, with luggage, isn’t worth the money savings for us. The Shin station in Yokohama isn’t very large and finding your Track will be easy. Kyoto is a large but the distances there in are still relatively short when compared to Tokyo Central.

Likewise, as discussed before, I believe flying into Haneda is far superior than Narita. The distance and transportation costs from Narita far exceeds that of Haneda.

Thanks so much for the additional advice.  We aren't looking to find the cheapest way but just most efficient within reason.

We are flying into and out of Haneda. Will definitely contact Blacklane to pick us up.  Booking a car in advance is a great idea. We prefer that to looking for a taxi in an unfamiliar place.

Felice 😎

Felice,

Thank you for your questions as I have similar ones. Our ship the Riviera does embark from Yokohama on April 1 but it disembarks from Tokyo International Cruise Port in Tokyo. Now that information may change. Your getting to Kyoto will be different from what pinotlover and Hank suggested. I do like the idea of shipping luggage from one hotel to another. We are in Ginza for several days before we go to Oceania’s free night offer. We don’t know what hotel they are using at this time. I will checkout Blacklane to get us to our hotel from Haneda. Is Blacklane suggested to go from a Ginza hotel to Haneda? I’ve checked Google maps for public transportation. It looks as though there are long walks with luggage and transfers.

thank you.

• Thanks 1