Getting ready for a 14 day sailing in October on Nieuw Statendam

6 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

Anyone recently off of a Med cruise ?   I had read that they were in a heat wave similar to the US.   Greece and Turkey get hot every year anyway.

I was just on the Enchanted Princess in the Caribbean and it was stifling out on deck even when the ship was moving.    I like temperate to cool sailings -   75-80 day, and 60 at night.   Hoping for those conditions on my Med sailing in October.

Cheers

Rex

I did 2 Med cruises last year end of Oct into Nov & end of Nov into Dec. The weather was nice, a bit humid still end Oct, but nowhere near the horrendous heat & humidity we experienced a few years ago in June.

The crowds, though, were still very large - people didn't get the memo that it was off-season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We are boarding in Piraeus on Oct 19.  Staying two nights ahead at the Plaka Hotel.  Right in the centre of things.

We have stayed in both Piraeus and Athens before other cruises.  They are both fine.  If you are only coming in one day early after an overnight flight you are just as well to stay in Piraeus.  There are lots of really good seafood restaurants around the harbour.

I'm a big fan of Matt Barrett's greek travel site.  There is almost too much information.   Here is the page for Piraeus hotels....https://www.hotelsofgreece.com/athens/coast.htm

Edited by ldog
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the tips and information...very helpful !     We decided to stay in Athens because there no time in Athens post cruise (very short time pre-cruise) and this is only opportunity to see anything in the city.   We will have been up 34 hours by the time we land in Athens, so not so sure any sight seeing will be a priority after we get checked into hotel in Athens   LOL.  

The baggage measurements given on EasyJet website for a 22" carry on is smaller than what Americans use for 22".   I would have to remove all of the pockets on the front and sides of the bag to comply with their size restrictions, so I went ahead and purchased a checked bag option just in case my carry on is too big for their published requirements.

We fall into the 80 days until departure today, so that is always the point at which time really flies by in my opinion.

Cheers everyone!

Rex

Posted (edited)

We have been to Mykonos many times and always go to the beach. However, the transportation options are iffy. Very few cabs and the bus can be so crowded coming back. We arrange a driver to drop us off and pick us up (which honestly has been a little iffy too). It’s pricey but more dependable.

There’s a good chance you’ll have to check your bag for the Easy Jet flight so keep anything valuable in your personal bag.

I would spend the night in Athens too. The Plaka is a great spot to grab a drink, glass of wine, beer and a bite to eat. Brettos is an amazing bar right off the Plaka. Hopefully your hotel is in a place where you can walk through the park and see the Acropolis at night which we love to do.

If you have time, the Acropolis museum is so good. The rooftop bar/restaurant is great. If no time to go in at least go see the ruins underneath the entrance.

I also find Athens to be a great spot to get my evil eye bracelets, soaps, pouches and little souvenirs to give out when I get home. Bargain for a bunch and bring them back for friends and family to choose their favorites. Cheaper there than other ports.

Athens is one of our favorite pre-cruise spots! Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by jagger16

3 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

Thanks for all the tips and information...very helpful !     We decided to stay in Athens because there no time in Athens post cruise (very short time pre-cruise) and this is only opportunity to see anything in the city.   We will have been up 34 hours by the time we land in Athens, so not so sure any sight seeing will be a priority after we get checked into hotel in Athens   LOL.  

The baggage measurements given on EasyJet website for a 22" carry on is smaller than what Americans use for 22".   I would have to remove all of the pockets on the front and sides of the bag to comply with their size restrictions, so I went ahead and purchased a checked bag option just in case my carry on is too big for their published requirements.

We fall into the 80 days until departure today, so that is always the point at which time really flies by in my opinion.

Cheers everyone!

Rex

Sounds fabulous! Spent time in Athens and these are the places I liked:

Best Greek Taverna in Palatka: Geros Tou Moria 

Yes, it’s a bit touristy, but this quaint, 90-year-old taverna is the best place in Athens to try classic Greek dishes paired with live Greek music and dancing every night. 

Best Gelato: Le Greche in Syntagma and Coco’s in Plaka.

Village of Anafiotika: Hike to the top of the Platka and find the hidden village of Anafiotika: https://europeupclose.com/article/anafiotika-the-hidden-village-under-the-acropolis/ 

Best rooftop bar (make a reservation); Visit the 360 Cocktail Bar: https://three-sixty.gr/ 

Ifestou 2, Athina 105 55, Greece

my favorite rooftop restaurant was the New Hotel rooftop restaurant. 

Enjoy! 

I also wanted to add - we were on the Statendam last December right when they put the new library in and I absolutely absolutely love it!!! You may not have a lot of time for reading with the busy Greek cruise itinerary but it’s there if you need it!! 

Thanks for the tips everyone !!   I think I will have to purchase for a hard side carry on to ensure that my bag stays within size limits for Easyjet.

We have now passed final payment due date and Club Orange waitlist didnt clear.... gosh dang it!   My last 5 sailings included Club Orange, so I am going to really miss the CO dining venue.   I just hope Neptune upgrades are offered in a few weeks, that will be my last opportunity to get CO.   Fingers crossed !!

Cheers 

rex

Hi KAK,

Yes,  the thought is that the chances of the waitlist clearing after final payment is pretty low.  Cancelations might factor into chances of an opened up the waitlist, so unlikely that any cancellations will occur after final payment.

Cheers

Rex

We have now fallen under the 70 day mark.  Hardside luggage was purchased for carryon so that we could ensure size allowances for Easyjet in Europe.    I have not seen anything written on NS recently.   If anyone has sailed on her in the last 2 weeks, it would be great to hear about the ship in its current state (food quality, staffing, any new entertainment or activities introduced).   The price for our sailing right now seems sky high even though there are plenty of rooms still available.   HAL is notorious for bucket drop pricing within 60 days of sailing, but that has not happened so far.

Cheers !

Rex

Can your TA or PCC help you?  Possibly with price reductions?  Are you purchasing a hardside  bag instead of a softside for any particular reason, both have wheels?  Hope you have a great cruise but you seem to be having serious doubts.  JMO   Cherie  

The final payment is in.  You cannot get a price reduction.    It was just an observation of mine that prices for the remaining cabins are crazy high.

EasyJet has smaller bag requirements than US airlines, so the hardside keeps me within their requirements.

3 Star Mariner, so I will have a great time.   Love HAL.   

Cheers

Rex

We just entered the 59 day till departure countdown.  We are getting very excited.   Anyone just off Nieuw Statendam  that can give an update on her current condition ?   Wondering about staffing levels and food quality.    Also, who is the cruise director currently ?    We booked a cabin guarantee.  Does anyone know how soon they will assign us a cabin number or whether that will even occur before the day of check in ?   I usually purchase unlimited laundry but at $149, I am thinking the laundry by the bag option might be better.  Does anyone know if you are limited to 1 bag per sailing or can you buy several bags over the course of the cruise ?    I usually like to purchase the spa pass but $299 is pricey and the itinerary is very port intensive so not sure I would get my money's worth.   Is anyone aware of a time when HAL has discounted this spa price last minute or onboard ?  (Yes, I am aware of the 30% off other spa services prior to sailing)

Cheers ! 

Rex

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

...I usually purchase unlimited laundry but at $149, I am thinking the laundry by the bag option might be better.  Does anyone know if you are limited to 1 bag per sailing or can you buy several bags over the course of the cruise ?    I usually like to purchase the spa pass but $299 is pricey and the itinerary is very port intensive so not sure I would get my money's worth.   Is anyone aware of a time when HAL has discounted this spa price last minute or onboard ?  (Yes, I am aware of the 30% off other spa services prior to sailing)

Laundry - there is no limit to the number of bags you can buy or the number of bags you can send if you buy unlimited. 

ThermalPass - is $149 for 1 week and $298 for 2 weeks. You do have to buy the full cruise (ie can't buy 7 days @$149 when on a 14 day booking), but can buy just single days @$49 if you don't think you'll get full benefit of the full cruise pass. It is not discounted onboard.

Spa discounts - once onboard, you will receive offers for discounts, usually for port days. Can also buy packages to get discounts. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo