Pants in Dining Room

artvlay

7 hours ago, artvlay said:

So after eight responses, I would like to know if women are permitted to wear trousers, slacks or other garment that doesn't fit into the skirt, dress, gown or kilts category.

My own thought related to "slacks," which I have worn on QM2 with a dressy top. BTW, I'm originally not far from Cherry Hill - Riverside, in Burlington County

• Like 1

9 hours ago, napria said:

I absolutely love language!  The best jokes are language or punctuation related.

...What is a vest in the uk? 

Also, I want to see the men in skirts 😋

I think 'your' vest is what we call a waistcoat.

A UK vest is a top, which paired with pants/knickers used to be primarily associated with childhood. However many adults still wear a vest as an undergarment, usually in wintertime but not necessarily so, as the first garment to protect against the cold

but

as things do, vests have morphed from the trad. old fashioned undergarments, to bang on fashion, tops.

M&S have an extensive range of both.

As to men in skirts, there's nothing more striking than seeing a chap in formal kilt wear although the skean dubhs, if carried, will be plastic which will save bloodshed if laundry wars ever break out! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

As to men in skirts, there's nothing more striking than seeing a chap in formal kilt wear although the skean dubhs, if carried, will be plastic which will save bloodshed if laundry wars ever break out! 🙂

Oh, a man I a kilt… doing laundry! Be still my beating heart!

I have (unsuccessfully) tried to get my husband to wear a kilt for years. Though we’re both of Irish descent from grandparents who came to the states as adults, the Irish culture is foreign to him, whereas my grandparents kept the traditions and culture alive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, napria said:

I absolutely love language!  The best jokes are language or punctuation related.

And I say hot pads.  I worked in a kitchen for years and that’s what everyone called them (pot holders, oven mitts, oven gloves, etc.)

What is a vest in the uk? 

Also, I want to see the men in skirts 😋

A vest is what Onslow used to wear in Keeping Up Appearances...

and please never, ever, ever, refer to a kilt as a skirt !!!

Daisy’s husband.  Thanks.  I hadn’t realized that’s what is referred to as a vest.

And I quite agree… a kilt is a kilt.  Certainly not a garment associated with women!  Although I do have a kilt from Ireland that has the tartan of my da’s clan 😊

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My husband (from the US) thinks wearing pants and suspenders in public is fine. Trust me in England if a guy wears pants and suspenders he is at a very specific club catering to specific tastes. Pants are underwear to cover ones lower bits, suspenders are garter belts which hold up ones stockings. Vests are underwear which covers your upper bits. 

Oh and if you are Australian wearing thongs in public (flip flops) is fine.

Edited by Catchum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Catchum said:

My husband (from the US) thinks wearing pants and suspenders in public is fine. Trust me in England if a guy wears pants and suspenders he is at a very specific club catering to specific tastes. Pants are underwear to cover ones lower bits, suspenders are garter belts which hold up ones stockings. Vests are underwear which covers your upper bits. 

Oh and if you are Australian wearing thongs in public (flip flops) is fine.

Yes, I now realize that DW might have caused a serious conversation starter if she arrived at QG wearing her matching crème colored pants and vest…

I knew about “pants” but now know the vest/Onslow term. 

43 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes, I now realize that DW might have caused a serious conversation starter if she arrived at QG wearing her matching crème colored pants and vest…

I knew about “pants” but now know the vest/Onslow term. 

An vest as worn by Onslow is also known as a 'wife beater', although in Onslow's case, Daisy was more likely to give Onslow a bit of earache! 🥴

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

A vest is also what John McClane wears at the end of Die Hard. Totally different effect to that given by Onslow!

Or even better Marlon Brando - a great look just not in the MDR!image.thumb.png.2680109e60426a4a5ed2e6bd5d5959f9.png

On 7/6/2024 at 6:27 PM, BigMac1953 said:

I'll sit at the door and check (UK).

You should be able to sort out American ladies from British ladies because American ladies do not wear knickers.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1