Smart casual

14 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't you just love the debate when discussing Cunard's evening dress suggestions.

Another part of me dies every time there is a thread on it😁

Surprised no-one has suggested black tie for the flight...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Another part of me dies every time there is a thread on it😁

Surprised no-one has suggested black tie for the flight...

I mis-read that and thought you wrote 'fight'.

I thought golly, I know we're Cunard but come on, a fight...and in black tie too!!😲

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't you just love the debate when discussing Cunard's evening dress suggestions.

I would dearly love to see some CC members f2f [I was lucky enough to meet exlondoner in May]  and see how sartorially better dressed they are from ourselves.

I feel like a peasant sometimes when reading some posts. 😄

While boringly conformist in my dress, I don’t think anyone would be dazzled by my outfits. However, I did think that, as a whole, the inhabitants of the restaurant indeed looked the part.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I would dearly love to see some CC members f2f [I was lucky enough to meet exlondoner in May]  and see how sartorially better dressed they are from ourselves.

I feel like a peasant sometimes when reading some posts. 😄

They are by far my favourite threads. 🤣  One sometimes has to be careful when wording responses though.

I've said before; we won't claim to be "sartorially better dressed" than anyone else. We just have a bundle of stuff that we rarely get to wear anywhere else, and venues like The Britannia Restaurant or Grand Lobby make far better backdrops for photos than our local restaurants.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I mis-read that and thought you wrote 'fight'.

I thought golly, I know we're Cunard but come on, a fight...and in black tie too!!😲

If you're not prepared to put a bit of effort in for your fight there are plenty of other cruise lines you can choose...😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, DRG-Mobile said:

I carry a selection of what I would need for a few days in case the luggage doesn’t arrive. So if I am bringing a tux, a suit, and a couple of jackets, a few pairs of khakis, shorts, etc, I’ll have at least one pair of nice pants, a jacket, a couple of pairs of shorts, couple of bathing suits etc. So if my luggage does get lost, I’m not sitting in a dining room in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt looking like somebody who doesn’t know how to travel.

do you travel by plane? does all that fit into the small piece of luggage you can carry on? 

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

do you travel by plane? does all that fit into the small piece of luggage you can carry on? 

Flying Nice to Heathrow is about the only sensible way for us to get to Southampton. We take much more than DRG-Mobile described in our carry on bags, slightly more than a third of the volume and close to half the weight goes in cabin with us. The combination of backpack, small bag in one hand and other hand guiding wheeled case allows us to move through Heathrow really fast. If the ground is too rough for wheels or there are stairs, I carry the two cases and my wife takes the two bags.

As I've mentioned before, we're lucky to be fit enough to do that.

If my wife was happy to mix and match we'd just take hand luggage and not waste time with bag drop and standing watching a carousel.

It's OK for those who are able to carry all of their hand luggage but there are some, me being one of them, who have to carry a large amount of medical equipment with them, and yes I know you can have extra allowance for medical equipment on most airlines but it still has to be carried.

Given a choice of not having medical equipment or not conforming to the dress code as some would have me do - I know which one I would go for.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, david63 said:

who have to carry a large amount of medical equipment with them,

Thankfully we don't have such problems. My wife needs a few small pills because her GP back in the 90s thought it would be good to try her on a drug that she might have wanted to prescribe to her 20 years later. Of course she's never needed that because we deal with things like bone density through diet and exercise. That drug caused hypertension (she did warn the GP that it would), which she needs minimal drugs for, although the French have massively simplified medication in comparison to that prescribed by her old NHS GPs.

And the French GP likes tests. So amongst many other things we've confirmed that bone density isn't likely to be an issue until she's well into her 90s.

I'll also comment that we don't take anything we don't need. When it comes to toiletries we take enough for the 15 days we are away. I see folk on YouTube with full bottles of their favourite aftershave, and I recall a touring holiday with friends 28 years ago, where the man had what must have been at least a 200ml bottle of aftershave with dregs left in the bottom. We either buy in smaller containers or decant to smaller containers.

If something comes into the category of I might need this, or might want to wear that, it doesn't go.

16 minutes ago, D&N said:

I'll also comment that we don't take anything we don't need. When it comes to toiletries we take enough for the 15 days we are away. I see folk on YouTube with full bottles of their favourite aftershave, and I recall a touring holiday with friends 28 years ago, where the man had what must have been at least a 200ml bottle of aftershave with dregs left in the bottom. We either buy in smaller containers or decant to smaller containers.

If something comes into the category of I might need this, or might want to wear that, it doesn't go.

Cunard’s Passage Contract recommends to take an extra two weeks of prescription meds and anything vitally needed. That may be over-cautious but they are forewarning us to be prepared. In this case, I guess some us prioritize smelling well over needed luggage space. 

• Haha 1