Zodiac tours with shoulder injury...

TylerRose

am scheduled for total shoulder replacement surgery soon after our return from cruise in Alaska... we are currently booked for 2 Zodiac tours amidst the glaciers (embarking next weekend). I know they will assist on and off the Zodiac, but now I am wondering how rough the actual rides are--- and if I am being unrealistic in my hopes of my shoulder being able to handle this.

Please share any experiences you can offer. 

2 hours ago, TylerRose said:

am scheduled for total shoulder replacement surgery soon after our return from cruise in Alaska... we are currently booked for 2 Zodiac tours amidst the glaciers (embarking next weekend). I know they will assist on and off the Zodiac, but now I am wondering how rough the actual rides are--- and if I am being unrealistic in my hopes of my shoulder being able to handle this.

Please share any experiences you can offer. 

Having operated many rigid hull inflatables, most of which were manufactured by Zodiac, there are way too many variables to provide a definitive answer.

Generally, RHIB's are not the most comfortable, and in any seaway at high speed they are constantly slamming into waves. If it is a smaller boat where you sit on the buoyancy chambers holding onto the becketed line, that would be extremely difficult with a damaged shoulder.

If it is a bigger boat, such as a Zodiac 733, with bench seating, a careful Coxn, slow speed and calm waters, you should have no issue. However, the conditions are rarely like that throughout an entire tour.

Wouldn't be my choice of tour, if I had a damaged shoulder.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Having operated many rigid hull inflatables, most of which were manufactured by Zodiac, there are way too many variables to provide a definitive answer.

Generally, RHIB's are not the most comfortable, and in any seaway at high speed they are constantly slamming into waves. If it is a smaller boat where you sit on the buoyancy chambers holding onto the becketed line, that would be extremely difficult with a damaged shoulder.

If it is a bigger boat, such as a Zodiac 733, with bench seating, a careful Coxn, slow speed and calm waters, you should have no issue. However, the conditions are rarely like that throughout an entire tour.

Wouldn't be my choice of tour, if I had a damaged shoulder.

TY for your honesty and advice. I know this tour has a long waitlist. I guess it is time to be realistic and brighten someone else's day. If I had to pick only one tour to really give it my all, it is the glacier landing. I did it 20 years ago, but that was with kiddos for dogsledding. 

• Like 1