Celebrity Excursions - Timing doesn't add up

Eno

Recently returned from a Princess cruise and found there excursion information to be vague and incorrect and the call center could provide no answers prior to the cruise.  I will be on Celebrity next year and there is one excursion that I want to book.  In Bruges there is a tour that includes a shuttle, city tour, canal tour and 4 hours of free time.  It lists the duration as 8 hours and starts at 10:30.  We are only in Bruges from 10:00 - 6:00 pm so this doesn't seem possible.  Is there information usually incorrect?  

The description provided is often slightly incorrect, but will be altered closer to the cruise.

I was looking at an excursion in Hong Kong, which included viewing the fireworks. For months it said it would depart at 9:30 AM.  I booked it and eventually received an email that the time had been changed to an evening departure.  Duh.

The time of the tour you were looking at will be adjusted eventually

I have found all sorts of inaccuracies in the descriptions for my upcoming cruise.  It's my first Celebrity cruise for a long time and to be honest, it's made me a bit nervous about booking their excursions at all.

For example, a tour described as an early morning Mumbai market tour, "catch the sunrise and experience the city as it wakes up", etc, etc, departs at 9.30am. 

We will be doing a cruise early next year with three tender ports (we generally do trips that don't have tenders but no choice this time).  If for example a tour says it starts at 9am am I correct that is when it leaves from the dock not the ship?

14 minutes ago, worldtraveller said:

If for example a tour says it starts at 9am am I correct that is when it leaves from the dock not the ship?

It could be either. If it is a tender port, it is common for the meeting time/place to be onboard so that you go as a group to the tender and get priority. But if the ship is tendering from 8 AM to 7 PM and your tour is at 1 PM, it could meet on the shore.

And yes, I've seen shore excursions advertised as eight hours when we're only in port six, and that sort of thing. Best not to think about it too much. Just use the advertised times as a guide and know that once you are on board, you'll learn the exact time and place.

12 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I have found all sorts of inaccuracies in the descriptions for my upcoming cruise.  It's my first Celebrity cruise for a long time and to be honest, it's made me a bit nervous about booking their excursions at all.

For example, a tour described as an early morning Mumbai market tour, "catch the sunrise and experience the city as it wakes up", etc, etc, departs at 9.30am. 

Take out the marketing fluff and what you have is an excursion that includes a market tour and probably some of the other great things to see in Mumbai.  

Figure I will book it and see how long it actually is.  We arrive at 10:00 am, tour starts at 10:30 and ship leaves at 6:00 pm.  So won't be 8 hours for sure.... 

I usually do Celebrity excursions to avoid the hassle of trying to do it on my own.

I have learned that there are a large number of inaccuracies in many of their descriptions.

Not just timing but what is and is not included.  One excursion I did said there was a beach break.  There wasn't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

Take out the marketing fluff and what you have is an excursion that includes a market tour and probably some of the other great things to see in Mumbai.  

You say marketing fluff, I say lies.  The whole premise of the tour was to see the city first thing in the morning when the markets are at their best. 

"Discover the metropolis of Mumbai in the peaceful morning hours when the city is just waking up, the perfect time to visit the flower market, the Dhobi Ghat, and the Sassoon Docks. Join your local guide and wander the tranquil streets of Mumbai, getting a glimpse of this bustling city as few get to see it before the city awakens, when the roads are quiet. Begin with a visit to the vibrant flower market where you'll breathe in the sweet aromas of the flowers that arrive in the city in the early morning hours."